Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

To those of you not yet sure about all of this stuff:
RE: To those of you not yet sure about all of this stuff:
Well I sure feel the same as retired guy, though I know he is different (or was it us? I get confused). Anyway, I've been flying. I don't notice wearing the P10. It is great lately (two weeks of ahi below 2 and the last few days 0). I'm in crazy good shape, have done lots of sports and heavy gardening (hedge cutting, pickaxe work etc). The amount of physical work I've cheerfully achieved in the last month + at the day job is unbelievable. Or not really, I used to be like that before apnea got to me. Today I'm beat, but I know why. I've worked from 9 am to 18:30 pm yesterday non-stop removing hedges with another guy, enjoying it even though it's beastly work. I'm feeling better every day. So yeah, I'm very happy I stuck with it, and got the help I needed from the boards. Contrast that with pushing yourself through the day, motoring on sheer willpower rather than thirst for life. My life has turned around and possibly has been saved. I've definitely been saved from living on 40% capacity.
Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great post by retired_guy to start this thread.

I too am almost frustrated by "nothing to tweak" -- involvement in your therapy is a BIG indicator of how successful you will be and for us technical types that means using all the cool software, looking at the pretty graphs, trying to determine how to get the AHI or Leaks down another 0.5 or even carpentry projects to build machine tables or hose hooks etc....

Baring that, it's about staying involved by helping OTHERS -- answering THEIR questions and solving THEIR technical problems.

[Although my main reasons for not being on the forum for a couple of months were my schedule and joint problems we almost always do what is REALLY IMPORTANT TO US. With nothing to tweak and my not REALLY being needed here with all the good people that can answer most any question it really wasn't essential to visit -- no modesty here, I know that my help is useful but also that there is nothing I would offer that can't be answered by a bunch of other people.]

As to humidity, my practice was always to use the P10 with the Resmed Humidifier MAXED OUT. Worked great.

Lately I pulled it back to only '80' and it still works great -- biggest difference is that I MIGHT be able to go 2 nights without refilling the reservoir.

The real key is to GET a humidifier if it is available and/or you can afford it. Try it and also try without it once you are getting good therapy (in the beginning do EVERYTHING FEASIBLE to make it more comfortable and more effective for you.)

You also may find that the humidifier is more necessary during certain times of the year or during certain weather (really cold dry nights will mean you house is likely to heat up the air and make the relative humidifier really low.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
A point to remember, humidifier are great so long as you don't have any lung deficiency issues. People with COPD are affected adversely when the humidity level of the air they breath goes up since humid air contains less O2 per unit volume. People with sleep apnea and lung deficiencies like asthma or emphysema are in a different boat altogether.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2014, 01:39 PM)herbm Wrote: Although my main reasons for not being on the forum for a couple of months were my schedule and joint problems

How many times do I have to tell you to stay out of the joints?

(08-10-2014, 01:39 PM)herbm Wrote: we almost always do what is REALLY IMPORTANT TO US. With nothing to tweak and my not REALLY being needed here with all the good people that can answer most any question it really wasn't essential to visit -- no modesty here, I know that my help is useful but also that there is nothing I would offer that can't be answered by a bunch of other people.

For those of you that are new around here, Herb and I have always been in complete agreement about EVERYTHING.... (well, sometimes anyhow)

But Herb, in all seriousness...... Oh that hurts...... But, in all seriousness we have missed you around here. It's great to read you again, and your HUMBLE, soft mannered way will ALWAYS be VERY much in DEMAND around here. (note to mods, ignore the caps, I'm channeling my inner "Herb.")

Welcome back Herb. Get the knees fixed soon, it's almost football season and the Cowboys need all the help they can get.

(08-10-2014, 02:12 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: A point to remember, humidifier are great so long as you don't have any lung deficiency issues. People with COPD are affected adversely when the humidity level of the air they breath goes up since humid air contains less O2 per unit volume. People with sleep apnea and lung deficiencies like asthma or emphysema are in a different boat altogether.

Finally! Something to tweak! I have always happily used the humidifier - sometimes at 4, currently at 3.5. Also very pleased with it. But learning I can't do that because of my Emphysema sets me free to futz with the dials again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2014, 01:39 PM)herbm Wrote: I too am almost frustrated by "nothing to tweak"

I call it the marginal propensity to tweak and I have it bad. I'm now thinking of changing from the Simplus to the AirFit F10 for no reason I can think of.

Good to have you back in the mix Herb and please don't be smoking those joints again.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 268 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Mod Note] Keep Your Stuff Together SuperSleeper 1 1,677 12-21-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP function question - basic stuff... Mandrake 11 1,184 01-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Mandrake
  How do you keep the machines away from mold and stuff? goku 7 947 08-09-2022, 06:24 PM
Last Post: hh9797
  [Symptoms] Weird stuff [waking in spasm] Styx 12 2,793 10-13-2021, 02:42 PM
Last Post: blancobonzo
  Stuff up nose at night, old machine? duece12345 5 1,410 10-13-2021, 10:17 AM
Last Post: allistairt
  Do we really need to clean this stuff? farnsy 29 5,004 01-30-2020, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Pat Knoll

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.