Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Todays the big day [First night with Cpap]
RE: Todays the big day [First night with Cpap]
Most users experience air starvation at pressures lower than 7cm.

Here is a thought; The pressure changes of auto titration may be causing you too much irritation (only word I could think of). You could always try setting the CPAP to a straight pressure. This would allow you to see if that is easier for you to get accustomed to. Again, just remember to pick a pressure that is just above your average or mean pressure and add your EPR value, if any, to it.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2018, 11:20 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Most users experience  air starvation at pressures lower than 7cm.

Here is a thought; The pressure changes of auto titration may be causing you too much irritation (only word I could think of).  You could always try setting the CPAP to a straight pressure.  This would allow you to see if that is easier for you to get accustomed to.  Again, just remember to pick a pressure that is just above your average or mean pressure and add your EPR value, if any, to it.

So I'm not the only one. The ramp feature is useless then. I'd like it to ramp starting from around 9-10 cm.

The machine is boosting me up for a reason. If I do manage to sleep, I know I will eventually wake up suffocating (as usual) because I know I'm gonna require the higher pressure when my breathing eventually goes to hell. 

But right now I need to work on actually getting to sleep with the thing. So I'm gonna do exactly what you prescribed, Dr. Crimson.
Post Reply Post Reply
Broomstick - my advice would be to get Sleepyhead software and start using your SD card to pull your data after a night of using it. Most of the users on the site will be able to help you much better once you have the data. It also sounds like it might be beneficial to do some additional research on your CPAP's capabilities.

I'm pretty new to CPAP but if I were you, I'd set your autoset between 7-14cm to start, but without sleephead software, it's much harder to tell what adjustments are needed. The feeling of suffocation most of the time would mean your pressure is too low.

It sounds like your anxiety is creating a lot of psychological resistance to being able to sleep with the CPAP. Have you ever tried meditation? That has helped me with handling my anxiety.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2018, 11:33 AM)Broomstick Wrote: But right now I need to work on actually getting to sleep with the thing. So I'm gonna do exactly what you prescribed, Dr. Crimson.

I'm not a doctor. I just use to stay in Holiday Inns.  Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2018, 12:04 PM)isuckatsleeping Wrote: Broomstick - my advice would be to get Sleepyhead software and start using your SD card to pull your data after a night of using it. Most of the users on the site will be able to help you much better once you have the data. It also sounds like it might be beneficial to do some additional research on your CPAP's capabilities.

I'm pretty new to CPAP but if I were you, I'd set your autoset between 7-14cm to start, but without sleephead software, it's much harder to tell what adjustments are needed. The feeling of suffocation most of the time would mean your pressure is too low.

It sounds like your anxiety is creating a lot of psychological resistance to being able to sleep with the CPAP. Have you ever tried meditation? That has helped me with handling my anxiety.

I'm gonna do the sleepyhead right now. There was a specific timeframe where I dozed and woke up and I wanna see what the hell happened.

Autoset between 7-14 will bump right up to 11+ the minute I lay down, and 14 the minute inlay on my back. 

Meditation would be a nightmare for me. Just the thought of sitting still like that sounds extremely boring and. Especially the concentrating on your breathing thing. As mentioned, thinking about my breathing causes me more grief because I have to breathe manually. I just couldn't do it. 

I appreciate any advice offered though. Keep 'em comin'.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep on a cold slab in this dark dungeon of a room with the door locked.

It's a bit disconcerting having the added distress of a cpap on your face.

I'm gonna switch back to sleeping in the daytime (easy) where I'm more aware of my surroundings.

I haven't worked in 2½ years so I'm gonna take advantage of having the luxury of sleeping whenever I want.

I hadn't had eggnog in a while...
Post Reply Post Reply
My first sleepy head posting. 

Does the relatively flat area on the right indicate that I was likely sleeping during that time?

I remember seeing past 7:00am on my clock before shutting off the machine. I don't understand why it ends well before 7:00. I'm gonna check the time on the machine, but I'm sure its set right.

Edit: Ok, some bonehead at the factory set the time wrong, lol. It has one of those 24 hour clocks and I just fixed it now. All times on that chart should be 1 hour ahead, but whatever.
Post Reply Post Reply
Broomstick :
If you want more space for your graphs just click on F10, it will take out the navigation bar (right side) then click on the black triangle by the calendar date, this will take out the calendar & last if you go on file, (upper left corner)  preferences, appearance, uncheck the pie chart & click ok (right bottom) this will give the best view for your charts.

There is no valuable info. in these 3 things, taking them out make it easier for those who analyze your charts, having a wider display of the charts.

Bag-head snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Its like my charts went from saying "Wendy" to "Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day"

Back by popular demand...
Post Reply Post Reply
Broomstick:

I think you forgot to put back the info. (AHI-statistics-machine settings etc...) very important, & while you're at it you could update your profile (software).  Dont-know 

Bag-head  snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 11 185 Yesterday, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question First night with CPAP (Luna G3) Big Ultima Energy 3 134 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 242 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,224 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 982 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 424 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 372 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.