Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Todays the big day [First night with Cpap]
RE: Todays the big day [First night with Cpap]
Wow! What is the AHI! 30+? I really want to see the left margin statistics,but this is awful, and you may need ASV. If you were not sleeping, no problem, but if this two hours has sleep then we have a ways to go and it involves lower pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alright. Lets try this again...

The AHI is irrelevant. Here is a graph ("garbage") from me using the machine while fully awake and the thing reporting 67 AHI.

The other chart has a 1 hour stretch from around 5:30-6:30 (I assume thats where I was actually sleeping yes?) with no flags. I assume no flags means no apneas. Yet something is happening at the very end to wake me up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Broomstick!

This is my first post to this group. I've had my machine a bit over a week. Thanks for sharing your story. Best of luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2018, 12:43 AM)Spike9726 Wrote: Hey Broomstick!

This is my first post to this group. I've had my machine a bit over a week. Thanks for sharing your story. Best of luck to you!

I think sleeprider nailed it when he said you may need an ASV. Also his advice for lower pressures is sound. I'd try set setting a maximum pressure of 8cm and drop the EPR to 1cm or zero. That might help in the short term of at least cutting down on the Clear airway events.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2018, 05:28 AM)Walla Walla Wrote:

I think sleeprider nailed it when he said you may need an ASV. Also his advice for lower pressures is sound. I'd try set setting a maximum pressure of 8cm and drop the EPR to 1cm or zero. That might help in the short term of at least cutting down on the Clear airway events.

This, exactly. You may have sleep onset central apneas, and while this is likely to pass, a lower pressure and lower EPR may help.  Nothing in the results so far, point to a need for higher pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2018, 08:10 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 05:28 AM)Walla Walla Wrote:

This, exactly. You may have sleep onset central apneas, and while this is likely to pass, a lower pressure and lower EPR may help.  Nothing in the results so far, point to a need for higher pressure.

I don't understand. I thought I WANTED a clear airway (as opposed to an obstructed one). I guess that means the machine knows there's no obstruction but I'm still not breathing. I guess Clear Airway = Central Apnea

Keep in mind that I didn't sleep for 90% of this. If the flat section on the right is when I actually slept, then there are no CA flags in that area. 

Its interesting you said sleep onset. With the mask, I've been getting to a point where I ALMOST slept. Like my whole body would shutter for a second, then my brain would immediately pull me out of it. I assume this is like the sleep paralysis thing. Like the brain has to paralyze you in order for you not to act out your dreams. 

This rarely happens to me, but it happened many times with the cpap.

But, again, I was breathing very eratic with the machine. Many times I simply did not need to breathe for 10 seconds. (Perhaps from packing so much air from multiple deep breaths?) I would specifically think "Uh-oh, this thing is gonna sing me for a central if I don't inhale soon...but I simply don't have to."
Post Reply Post Reply
The machines are designed to score asleep breathing which is much shallower and more regular than awake breathing. If your awake the the CA's do not count.
Post Reply Post Reply
Broomstick it would probably help if you could post a couple of charts when your sleeping most of the time.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2018, 02:50 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Broomstick it would probably help if you could post a couple of charts when your sleeping most of the time.

I'm trying to get to that point. 

I put just the mask on and layed there for a while. Then I took it off, set the alarm for 1 hour, and was gonna put the machine on after waking up to shut the alarm off (that's when I'm in a state where I should be able to fall back to sleep easy)

Well we saw how that turned out. I ended up not using it at all. Sad

It's hard for me to sleep as it is with no machine. 

We will try again for night 6.
Post Reply Post Reply
We would like to see these charts
  • Event Flags
  • Flow Rate
  • Pressure
  • Leak Rate
  • Snore
  • Flow Limit
You have
  • Event Flags
  • Flow Rate
  • Mask Pressure (change to Pressure)
  • Leak Rate
and add
  • Snore
  • Flow Limit

To fit all of these on one page shrink each chart a bit by grabbing and dragging an upper or lower edge. The Flow Limit, Snore and Leak Rate charts can be shrunk mor than the others.

Events (OA, H), Snores, and Flow Limits are what the Autoset responds to.

Turn Off The Calendar, Pie Chart and Side-Bar
There is a monthly calendar in the left column, as well as a Pie Chart, both of which are not needed, and hide more valuable information. Also, there is a right side-bar that makes the size of the charts smaller. 
  • Turn Off The Calendar, To turn off the monthly calendar, click the triangle in the date line
  • Turn Off The Pie Chart, To turn off the Pie Chart, click on the menu File/Preferences/Appearance, and un-check the box for "Show Event Breakdown Pie Chart".
  • Turn Off Right Side-Bar, Just use the F10 button or the menu View, and uncheck the right sidebar.

And yes for all practical purposes Clear Airway events are equal to Central Apnea.  Your Autoset is programmed to ignore them so we are trying to manually eliminate them.

Can you post a copy of your original Sleep Study.  That study is the one conducted without a CPAP machine and will provide insight into your condition and say if you have any Central Apnea prior to CPAP.

Another thing, since you are having so much trouble. Post a 2 minute zoom view of an are where you are having all the CA events, and another when you think that you are sleeping (don't expect much from the latter but you never know.)

You have a good start but the more detail we see the better we can help. I KNOW that this will be difficult.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 1 33 34 minutes ago
Last Post: Ostrich
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,144 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 884 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 402 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 351 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 433 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Night Guard use with CPAP brettski99 3 637 10-14-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jstro84

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.