Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Too Late for CPAP?
RE: Too Late for CPAP?
I installed Sleepyhead and copied my data into it. I've never included an attachment it a forum post, but I'll give it a try. (If there's a better way to show you the data, please tell me.)
Thanks,
OldCoot

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
From one OldCoot to another, welcome to the forum! Did you have a sleep study and, if so, do you have a copy? If you do not have a copy you are entitled to one and you are also entitled to a copy of the RX written by your doctor. Get both and keep for reference, they will come in handy. Above all, do not give up, also go ahead and plug your O2 into the output from the CPAP machine. Members more savvy than I will comment on the relatively high number of open airway events your printout shows, I believe that is significant but I do not have the knowledge to comment on it. Again, do not give up, this forum will lead you in the right direction and you will surely start to see improvement. GOOD LUCK!
Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2016, 11:53 AM)OldCoot Wrote: I installed Sleepyhead and copied my data into it. I've never included an attachment it a forum post, but I'll give it a try. (If there's a better way to show you the data, please tell me.)
Thanks,
OldCoot

That was fast. The good news is that whatever Obstructive Apnea you had is pretty well under control. Otherwise your level of Clear Airway (Central Apnea) events is very high. You are also showing a fairly high leak rate. Adjusting your nasal pillows or even changing to a nasal mask would help with that. Your machine seems to be set for a wide range of pressures. It is generally running just above 8 cm H2O (average) which is not too high. It would be very interesting to know what your sleep study showed. Specifically whether you were experiencing a high level of non obstructive hypopneas and or Cheyne Stokes Respiration. Cheyne Stokes Respiration is a pattern of Central Apnea breathing that has several causes. It would also be important to know if you are experiencing Congestive Heart Failure. CHF is closely associated with Cheyne Stokes Respiration. In addition your machine can cause Non Obstructive Hypopnea to transform into Cheyne Stokes Breathing. Small adjustments to machine pressures can alleviate some Central Apneas. In your case it is something that has to be tried due to Medicare requirements. If machine adjustments fail to greatly reduce the Central Apnea, you will most likely need an ASV (Auto Servo Ventilator) machine. It is very much like your present machine but has features that treat Central Apnea as well. Stick with us and you will get lots of help.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep what richb said. There are some members here that are really good at dealing with centrals can help you make your way to an ASV machine if needed. May I assume that you are not having trouble exhaling into pressure? Your EPR is turned off which is used to help with that.

Stay tuned for more feed back
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OldCoot,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are now on the road to better sleep, keep up the good work, feel free to ask any questions to help you understand sleep apnea and your CPAP therapy..
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Rich,
I don't know the mask is leaking. I thought it was under control the past two nights. (The first two nights it leaked constantly, but my wife stitched the elastic strap and took out 2" of slack, and I don't feel any leakage when I'm awake.) I ordered another mask a couple of days ago and I'm waiting for it.

I do have CHF. Diagnosed last year.
I've had three heart attacks:
One in 1999 (stent implanted).
Two heart attacks again last year (2015) with four more stents.
(Five total stents.)
Had a Pacemaker with an ICD (defibrillator) implanted late last year.

Also, to answer PoolQ's question, I don't have a lot of trouble exhaling into pressure, but it's not exactly natural either.

Thanks,
OldCoot
Post Reply Post Reply
Oldcoot, you probably have Complex Apnea, and your CHF is a stong indicator that you probably need a different machine that is an ASV (Adaptive Servo Ventilator). Your periodic breathing and central apnea cannot be treated with CPAP. The ASV or Auto SV, detects when you are not taking complete breaths or enough volume, and increases pressure on a breath-by-breath basis to keep you properly ventilated.

You need to talk to your doctor ASAP and get your cardiologist involved. You probably cannot use CPAP, and need a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV or Respironics Auto SV. Your data already has all the information they need to change your prescription. Please don't wait. It will take a while to get the new machine, and there may be some discussion of risks, especially if your left ventricular ejection rate is under 40%. This is common for CHF patients, and your doctors will know what is going on. Give them a call Monday. It's obvious you did not have a titration study, and you will probably have to have another sleep study to try bilevel (BiPAP/VPAP) and the adaptive servo ventilator. We want to make sure, your study includes both, not just bilevel. I is common for patients to have to fail at CPAP, then Bilevel, before they are finally prescribed ASV. We'd like to help educate you on this situation so you can get the treatment you need as soon as possible, rather than be delayed for insurance / medicare policies.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider.

I think my left ventricular ejection rate is mid 20s.

Do you think I should continue to use the CPAP machine or go back on the oxygen machine? (The oxygen machine doesn't force air/control the apnea at all.)

Thanks,
OldCoot
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not qualified to answer your question, however your cardiologist is. I think at a minimum your CPAP mask should be equipped with the oxygen attachment. CPAP is not your answer, and I'll leave the experts to determine if ASV might be.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take Sleeprider's advice. Talk to your Cardiologist right away.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 914 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,428 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  [Treatment] May be Too Late for Me Too Tubaman 301 39,841 05-30-2021, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? ChinaMan 7 1,422 10-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  MYAIR: PENALIZED FOR PEEING, SLEEPING LATE, OR FILLING THE WATER CHAMBER srlevine1 24 7,585 08-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Too Late? GTOdude 47 10,112 07-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.