Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Too Late for CPAP?
RE: Too Late for CPAP?
(06-29-2016, 02:13 PM)old82 Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 06:42 AM)richb Wrote: Good to hear that you are now on the right track. There are a couple of medications that are used to treat Periodic Breathing/Cheyne Stokes Respiration. The medication strategy is similar to strategies used to treat High Altitude Sickness. However you may not need anything for the Cheyne Stokes because much of it may have been aggravated by the incorrect machine and will reduce on its own without the CPAP.

Rich

Richb
What are those medications for Cheyenne stokes that you mentioned?

old82

The most commonly prescribed medication for Cheyne-Stokes Respiration associated with CHF is Theophylline https://www.drugs.com/cdi/theophylline.html The 2nd much less frequently used is Acetazolamide https://www.drugs.com/cdi/acetazolamide.html Acetazolamide is commonly prescribed for High Altitude Sickness which can cause Cheyne Stokes Respiration. Most of the literature centers on the use of Theophylline.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Rich...I'll file that medication info away for possible future use. Although the possible side effects of medications are enough to scare you away...but sometimes they are needed.

Old82
Post Reply Post Reply
old82 any new information, you have been in my thoughts...

Post Reply Post Reply
No...its just that the talk about medications for Cheyenne stokes respiration peaked my interest because I have them occasionally. I have not been diagnosed with CHF but it wouldn't surprise me if I were. But I'm told by a cardiologist my heart is ok.

My biggest concern is that even though I have managed to reduce my AHI to between 3.0 and 6.0 using CPAP For about 2 years, my machine ...which I read every morning using the resmed program and record all the numbers.... identifies 98% of my apneas as central and in spite of my low AHI numbers on CPAP I feel I should be on a different machine because of the centrals. I wake up feeling bad.

To add insult to injury my sleep Doctor claims my machine is not capable of differentatiating between central and obstructive and she won't back me up to obtain a different machine. She claims I wouldn't pass the Medicare requirements to upgrade me to a machine for centrals so I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Old82, now 83 and counting
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2016, 08:35 PM)old82 Wrote: No...its just that the talk about medications for Cheyenne stokes respiration peaked my interest because I have them occasionally. I have not been diagnosed with CHF but it wouldn't surprise me if I were. But I'm told by a cardiologist my heart is ok.

My biggest concern is that even though I have managed to reduce my AHI to between 3.0 and 6.0 using CPAP For about 2 years, my machine ...which I read every morning using the resmed program and record all the numbers.... identifies 98% of my apneas as central and in spite of my low AHI numbers on CPAP I feel I should be on a different machine because of the centrals. I wake up feeling bad.

To add insult to injury my sleep Doctor claims my machine is not capable of differentatiating between central and obstructive and she won't back me up to obtain a different machine. She claims I wouldn't pass the Medicare requirements to upgrade me to a machine for centrals so I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Old82, now 83 and counting

Hi Old82. It would be helpful if you would post a screenshot of your Apneas. I know you are using Rescan Software. If you can get a screen shot of events it would help us get an idea as to the severity of your problem. In particular if you are experiencing Periodic Breathing that your machine is not scoring. Otherwise your numbers are mostly just into the treated area. You are going to be well prepared if you have to find a new Doctor. (I've been there and done that with the help of this Board.) Try installing the Sleepyhead Software as well and see if it gives you a better picture of your waveforms (especially during Apneas and Hypopneas). With your pressure setting as low as it is, it is possible that your experiencing more Periodic Breathing that is not being scored as Apneas. This could still be causing desaturations and preventing deeper levels of sleep. Also, keep on counting!

Rich

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Met with my primary care doc and cardiologist earlier this week. The cardiologist seemed pretty concerned about some things so he asked me to go to the hospital, which I did. Spent a couple of days there... had a new kidney doc and pulmonologist check me out, as well as another cardiologist and my electrophysiologist. They did a sleep test, an echocardiogram (down my throat), and a catheterization from my groin. They all got together and concluded that it's down to two choices:

1) left side pump (can't remember the exact name, but it's what Dick Cheney got years ago);

2) heart transplant.

I don't mean to sound like a quitter, but I think the sayings "enough is enough" and "life is too short" fit the situation. I can't see continuing to live in hospitals and/or feeling like I do. Breathing is getting more difficult fast, so I'm thinking it won't be too long. Don't worry about me... aside from the discomfort/pain and the emotions of leaving my sweetheart, sons, and grandkids, I'm okay with stepping into the next life, trusting Jesus paid the price for my sins...

OldCoot Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, this breaks my heart, Old Coot. You are suffering mightily, so I get how you are tired of fighting it all. You sound like such a wonderful person, and the entropy of the body is so difficult. All of my best wishes to you, dear man.
"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."
Victor Hugo
Post Reply Post Reply
I am strongly in favor of maintaining personal dignity as well as living as long as you can on your terms. I hear from my Mother that she is ready and tired at the same time. Peace be with you always.
Post Reply Post Reply
Breaks my heart too. May blessings be upon you and my prayers with you.

-Ron
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can go in peace that is great. I have been ready for years. My doctors have set me up with the Medical School to be a living lab rat until it is time for a last breath. I am ok with this as it will help others and I enjoy the learning. The timeline is in Gods hands.

This my sound a little strange by I got to see the funeral home student technicians and talk about their work. I got to pick out my peaceful expression. They do nice work, gives a whole new understanding to the saying GOING OUT WITH A SMILE

Sleep-wellSleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 911 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,412 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  [Treatment] May be Too Late for Me Too Tubaman 301 39,815 05-30-2021, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? ChinaMan 7 1,420 10-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  MYAIR: PENALIZED FOR PEEING, SLEEPING LATE, OR FILLING THE WATER CHAMBER srlevine1 24 7,585 08-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Too Late? GTOdude 47 10,105 07-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.