Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Too Late?
RE: Too Late?
Here is a snapshot attachment out of Sleepyhead last night. I included what I thought might be important.

I slept like hell. No improvement. Had to take 1/2 an Ambien to fall asleep. Except to go to church, I haven't hardly got out of my chair today.

Knowledgeable ones, your opinions and suggestions please.

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
GTO, Whoever "titrated" you blew it! Raise your minimum pressure to 8 and your maximum pressure to 20. You're way high on obstructive apnea and hypopnea. Let the machine find the sweet spot. The low pressures (6.0) don't prevent many events at this point and you continue to have events when you top-out at 10.0. I suspect you'll see a maximum pressure somewhere around 14, but the machine should not go higher than what you need, we just want to see what that is.

Loads of RERA early and late may be semi-awake sleep state, or could be the pressure changes and inadequate pressure. We'd like to see the pressure respond to your needs in a smaller range to be less disruptive, but the main thing is to allow it to go high enough to treat you. One thing I notice is that you don't have a lot of flow limitations or snores which would normally cause pressure increases to prevent OA and H. This sometimes happens, and an increase in minimum pressure is usually the solution. You might adapt in time to the settings you're using, but when the machine is pegged on your high pressure limit, it's usually best to increase that limit and see if that solves the problem.

What is your A-flex setting?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
GTOdude, agree with above advice. Your start pressure is too low, and if you look at your pressure graph, you can see your max pressure setting is too low. It's hanging out at 10cm for a good part of the night.

Make those pressure changes, and see if there is an improvement.

When you post another screenshot, just include Events Graph, Flow Rate Graph, Pressure Graph, and Leak Rate Graph, and include the info at the left.
Dreaming
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with both of the above - your top end pressure is too low. I notice that most of the events are actually hypopneas, which would indiate to me that the CPAP treatment is having a positive effect - those hypopneas would likely be full out obstructive events without the machine. But since the machine has maxed out the upper end, it can't adjust high enough to eliminate the event completely.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2015, 07:49 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: GTO, Whoever "titrated" you blew it! Raise your minimum pressure to 8 and your maximum pressure to 20. You're way high on obstructive apnea and hypopnea. Let the machine find the sweet spot. The low pressures (6.0) don't prevent many events at this point and you continue to have events when you top-out at 10.0. I suspect you'll see a maximum pressure somewhere around 14, but the machine should not go higher than what you need, we just want to see what that is.

Loads of RERA early and late may be semi-awake sleep state, or could be the pressure changes and inadequate pressure. We'd like to see the pressure respond to your needs in a smaller range to be less disruptive, but the main thing is to allow it to go high enough to treat you. One thing I notice is that you don't have a lot of flow limitations or snores which would normally cause pressure increases to prevent OA and H. This sometimes happens, and an increase in minimum pressure is usually the solution.

What is your A-flex setting?
Wow! Ive drilled thru the sleep study over and over and yes, I agree they messed it up. I will change the machine settings tonight. Hope that doesnt blow nasal pillows off my face! Oh and A-Flrx is 2.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
If you feel you have trouble breathing out against pressure, change AFEX to 3. But I would try with 2 first.

You should be fine with the settings. Remember, the APAP won't go higher that what is needed.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post about your car in the Off Topic forum. Get a conversation going. There must be at least a few Pontiac enthusiasts here and after a short while, you'll have enough posts!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2015, 07:00 PM)GTOdude Wrote: I slept like hell. No improvement. Had to take 1/2 an Ambien to fall asleep. Except to go to church, I haven't hardly got out of my chair today.

I think your numbers look good because you are using the machine all night, your leaks are under control, and your AHI is not too high, especially for a beginner.

Is the pressure bothering you? I would hate to see you raise the pressure and then stop using the machine because the high pressure is bothering you. I suggest maybe changing it from the 6-10 range it's on now to something like a 8-12 range.

Things will get better for you if you persist.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2015, 10:16 PM)GP49 Wrote: Post about your car in the Off Topic forum. Get a conversation going. There must be at least a few Pontiac enthusiasts here and after a short while, you'll have enough posts!
Lol I just may do that!

Post Reply Post Reply
Agree your pressure is too low min and max.
If aflex is 2 id set min pressure to 8.5 and max at 16 for now.
Leave it a week at that so things can settle then go from there.
If min 8 or 9 is to much set aflex to 3.
Aflex wont end your exhale more than 2 cm under your running pressure anyway, no matter if you set it for three but will make exhaling feel pretty effortless.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 1,000 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,520 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  [Treatment] May be Too Late for Me Too Tubaman 301 40,031 05-30-2021, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? ChinaMan 7 1,453 10-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Too Late for CPAP? OldCoot 67 12,093 09-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  MYAIR: PENALIZED FOR PEEING, SLEEPING LATE, OR FILLING THE WATER CHAMBER srlevine1 24 7,652 08-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Homerec130

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.