Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Too Late?
RE: Too Late?
I set my pressure last night to 8 - 15, from 6 - 10. I had a heck of a time falling asleep so had to take a 5mg Ambien and still didnt fall asleep for close to an hour or more I would estimate. I dozed for a while and I think I really slept from 0100 till 0700 on the graphs. I fidgeted a lot positioning the pillows which may be why the events are so many the first couple hours. I do remember dreaming big time right before I woke up which I havent done since I started xPAP. One other thing, I woke once in the middle of the night and again this morning, and had like dried phlegm in my dry mouth. Is that normal?

Here's a graph from last night. Id think an AHI of 3.64 is an improvement, but I still feel like crap.

Mark[attachment=1965]
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark, I think you need to stick with this for a while. It's not unusual for new users to take time to adapt to the pressure, and resolve their sleep debt. That is a 50% improvement, and you should notice your OA events are nearly non-existent now at 0.44 OAI compared to 2.15 in your previous chart. By the numbers, you're doing much better, but you have a lot of sleep disturbances. This should settle down in time.

Any thoughts on when you actually fell asleep? Just guessing it might have been after 1:00 AM based on the change in wave pattern. It might be interesting to see the wave-form close up during some of the hypopnea events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2015, 11:50 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Mark, I think you need to stick with this for a while. It's not unusual for new users to take time to adapt to the pressure, and resolve their sleep debt. That is a 50% improvement, and you should notice your OA events are nearly non-existent now at 0.44 OAI compared to 2.15 in your previous chart. By the numbers, you're doing much better, but you have a lot of sleep disturbances. This should settle down in time.

Any thoughts on when you actually fell asleep? Just guessing it might have been after 1:00 AM based on the change in wave pattern. It might be interesting to see the wave-form close up during some of the hypopnea events.
I believe it was after 1:00. Also I ordered a recording oximeter which Ill have i a few days. I have these scary events when my mind wanders just before I fall asleep where my o2 drops along with my heart rate, then I get kinda a jolt and I recover. I can feel my heartbeat in my fingers etc cuz my BP rises. Hopefully these events will end..

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
During sleep onset, we often see false events. Here is the explanation from the Sleepyhead Beginners Guide

Quote:Sleep transition breathing and "False" events

Sleep transition breathing also poses problems for our machines. The control of respiration has to be handed off from the voluntary nervous system to the autonomous nervous system. it is not uncommon that during the transition process, the airflow into the lungs drops (and a breath or two is skipped) as the body resets the CO2 trigger for inhalation. On a PSG, these "sleep transitional central apneas" are not scored because they are not part of sleep disordered breathing. But our machines cannot tell that we're in the process of transitioning to sleep, and it's not uncommon for "false" events to be scored just as we're drifting off to sleep.

So, on the positive side, you can discount those "events". On the other hand, that kind of sleep latency is not going to make you feel more rested. The pressure range of 8-10 seemed to be where you spent most of the night, and had relatively few events. You have some leaks that look mostly like movement, but you may have had some leaks through the mouth, especially like 4:30-5:00 which could have cause some dry mouth/throat. Again, the mask is something that you get accustomed to and leaks should settle.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the pressure if 8 seems a bit much right now set Aflex to 3.
You may need a chin strap also if mouth leaking.
I used one for almost a year before I finally learned to not mouth leak.

My pressures are higher than yours but Aflex at 3 is to much relief , like breathing against nothing at all but that is different from person to person
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2015, 10:01 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: If the pressure if 8 seems a bit much right now set Aflex to 3.
You may need a chin strap also if mouth leaking.
I used one for almost a year before I finally learned to not mouth leak.

My pressures are higher than yours but Aflex at 3 is to much relief , like breathing against nothing at all but that is different from person to person

Ghost, check out his inhale time vs exhale time. It's like 3:1, almost like a long inhale then blowing it out. I don't know that it means anything, but less exhale resistance doesn't seem to be a problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2015, 12:13 PM)GTOdude Wrote: I have these scary events when my mind wanders just before I fall asleep where my o2 drops along with my heart rate, then I get kinda a jolt and I recover. I can feel my heartbeat in my fingers etc cuz my BP rises. Hopefully these events will end.

I remember that happening to me, too. I think it's your body getting used to being able to breathe while sleeping instead of having to wake you up to breathe.

I think you're leaking, which is not good. It looks like mouth-leaking. You need a chin strap and if that doesn't work a full face mask. Leaks are bad because it means the machine can't maintain the pressure splint needed to keep your airway from collapsing.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2015, 12:21 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 12:13 PM)GTOdude Wrote: I have these scary events when my mind wanders just before I fall asleep where my o2 drops along with my heart rate, then I get kinda a jolt and I recover. I can feel my heartbeat in my fingers etc cuz my BP rises. Hopefully these events will end.

I remember that happening to me, too. I think it's your body getting used to being able to breathe while sleeping instead of having to wake you up to breathe.

I think you're leaking, which is not good. It looks like mouth-leaking. You need a chin strap and if that doesn't work a full face mask. Leaks are bad because it means the machine can't maintain the pressure splint needed to keep your airway from collapsing.
I hope these events do pass. They're scary as hack and give me anxiety when I go to bed.

I got a chinstrap today and will try it tonight. Thanks.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning, folk. Another night has passed for me, still feel like total crap. Could not fall asleep, was getting those desats I mentioned before, took 5mg Ambien and then slept for about 5 1/2 hours. Woke up and that was it, could not fall asleep any more.

Attached is my Sleepyhead from last night. It still took me maybe 1/2 hour to fall asleep so I should disregard the centrals? I kinda think the machine is picking up every time I snort, swallow or cough as an event. Damned if I know. But I would venture to say a 3.15 is better than 34 in my study.

Mark

PS: The session here is only from when I took the Ambien. till I woke up.

[attachment=1968]
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow rate amplitude is low centered around 03:30
Perhaps you were in REM sleep at that time.

By the numbers, it's not a bad night.
Give it some time for you to adjust MSgt.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 909 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,412 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  [Treatment] May be Too Late for Me Too Tubaman 301 39,811 05-30-2021, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? ChinaMan 7 1,420 10-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Too Late for CPAP? OldCoot 67 12,012 09-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  MYAIR: PENALIZED FOR PEEING, SLEEPING LATE, OR FILLING THE WATER CHAMBER srlevine1 24 7,584 08-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Homerec130

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.