Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Need A Matress
I Need A Matress
Before using my wonderful cpap I would get up at least 4 times a night to use the bathroom. I would also wake up at least 10 times a night, probably from not breathing, to switch sleeping positions.

Now I go to sleep around 11:00 ish and night and don't wake up until 6:00 in the morning. In the same position I went to sleep in! I am so lucky that my only complaint now is head soreness plus some body aches from sleeping in the same position for 7 hours straight.

So any recommendations for a good side sleeper pillow plus mattress?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I Need A Matress
Trying to pick out someone else's mattress is a tall order. Go to a store where models are displayed, and decide what works for you. Memory foam is pretty good for single-position sleepers, but there is a lot of variation in the quality and feel. Mattress toppers are also a possibility if the bed and foundation are not broken down.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 01:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Trying to pick out someone else's mattress is a tall order. Go to a store where models are displayed, and decide what works for you. Memory foam is pretty good for single-position sleepers, but there is a lot of variation in the quality and feel. Mattress toppers are also a possibility if the bed and foundation are not broken down.

You are so right on the mattress. Mattress manufacturers make one style of mattress and sell it to different distributors with a different name. So it's hard to compare one to another since none of them match, not even part numbers.

You know a topper will probably be my best bet. What thickness would you suggest?
Post Reply Post Reply
When you do buy a mattress, go to a reputable mattress place, not a store that also sells mattresses. Be sure to tell the person what you want as well as your sleeping habits including the CPAP. We have a sleep number bed which is adjustable and they also have several that you can raise and the lower the head and foot. One thing about sleep number beds and a lot of the memory foam mattresses is they have a tendency to be a lot warmer during the summer as they mold to your body. Remember, a mattress is a major purchase.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
I think memory foam toppers from places like Costco Novaform Serafina 3" Memory Foam Mattress Topper can be pretty good, and are highly rated. It's about 15% of a new mattress cost. Full disclosure, I bought a new memory foam composite mattress when I moved here in 2013. The big brands like Temperpedic are unreasonably priced for what you get. I got mine from a local outfit that manufactures locally, and has a good reputation. I also got one for a guest bed that came out of a box at Costco. It's great, but a bit firmer. You have to try before you buy if you get a mattress, and I think reputation, reviews, customer service, is more important than brand.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another option to memory foam beds or topper is latex or latex/wool. More costly. Probably requires finding a specialty sleep shop.

Latex does sleep "warm" like memory foam (an issue for me in warm LA) or get hard in cold weather. Latex conforms differently than memory foam. I prefer it much more (but taste is subjective). Most latex beds are not sprayed with fire retardants like the strict CA laws require. Some pass the fire tests do the amount of fire-resistant wool, others require a doctor's note because they don't pass (but are legal with a note).

My wife and I have a spring mattress with a thick latex and wool topper. My son has latex mattress. If I had a do-over I'd have gone full latex on ours, but both are very comfortable. Not cheap, unfortunately.

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been to specialty sleep shops, and well kind of pricey.

I'll look to see what Costco has. Thanks all for the suggestions.

How about a pillow?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cbarrios and welcome to the forum!

Another suggestion, look for a good latex or memory foam topper on amazon. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new mattress!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Cbarrios.

I use a CPAPfit buckwheat CPAP pillow. It cool and can be adjusted to the firmness that suits your sleeping style by removing or adding filling. It is somewhat heavier than standard pillows so it stays put. The shell is made from a bamboo fabric. The only downside I have found is that it makes a little noise when I shift around, although not enough to be noticeable.

I think this is the most comfortable pillow I have ever slept on. It can be shaped to fit your needs and is easy to reshape on the fly when changing positions.

I bought mine on Amazon for around fifty dollars including shipping when I used Prime.

Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Charrios,

Have you also consider put a pillow between your knee?
I, for myself find that it is quite of some help to relief back pain if it is what you're having.

Good luck !Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.