Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Too many CA with EPR off
Too many CA with EPR off
I am using my CPAP for 6 months now. When I was new on this forum someone told me to turn off the EPR. When I turn off EPR my CA becomes too high ~9AHI. When I switch to EPR 2 it becomes ~1-2. But after few days with EPR 2 my AHI becomes ~5. If I change my setting for a day or two like EPR 3 or 1 then it is around 6 and when I go back to 2 it is ~1-2 and again goes back to ~5. Did anyone experience such a thing? I am attaching the sleepyhead photos with EPR3 and the day I switched to EPR2.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Too many CA with EPR off
It's really hard to say what might be the cause. I think your EPR does not have a lot of effect and you get good therapy at low pressures. I think I'd just set the pressure to 7 and use EPR 2 or whatever feels best. I think a more steady pressure is probably going to do more for you than the changing auto pressure, and EPR is not really connected to events in a meaningful way. Your event rate would not suggest you need a change in therapy approach. Numbers aside, how are you feeling?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2018, 04:22 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: It's really hard to say what might be the cause. I think your EPR does not have a lot of effect and you get good therapy at low pressures.  I think I'd just set the pressure to 7 and use EPR 2 or whatever feels best.  I think a more steady pressure is probably going to do more for you than the changing auto pressure, and EPR is not really connected to events in a meaningful way.  Your event rate would not suggest you need a change in therapy approach.  Numbers aside, how are you feeling?
Thanks for the reply. I would surely try keeping the pressure steady. I am feeling fine but still need at least 10 hrs sleep. There is one more thing I want to ask. I am an International Student here in Boston originally from Pakistan. This problem started after coming to the US. I went back to my country last month and for a month-long, the AHI was from 0.5 to 1.5 and I felt refreshed in 5-6 hr sleep even if I slept without CPAP. Is there a change that my problem might be because of Cold weather or stress?
Post Reply Post Reply
Could be an effect of atmospheric pressure, diet or just the change in lifestyle.
Pakistan has a high elevation compared to Boston's 40mtrs and Pakistan's 600 to 900mtrs so that might have a lot to do with it.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2018, 03:23 AM)sleepymind Wrote: I am using my CPAP for 6 months now. When I was new on this forum someone told me to turn off the EPR. When I turn off EPR my CA becomes too high ~9AHI. When I switch to EPR 2 it becomes ~1-2. But after few days with EPR 2 my AHI becomes ~5. If I change my setting for a day or two like EPR 3 or 1 then it is around 6 and when I go back to 2 it is ~1-2 and again goes back toen5. Did anyone experience such a thing? I am attaching the sleepyhead photos with EPR3 and the day I switched to EPR2.

Yes. But the bunching included all three types of events, not just CAs. I would be half awake and and dismissed it as sleep/wake junk. To solve this, I did the following:
1. Changed pillow size to large. DME fitted me with a small. 
2. Upped my min pressure to 6 cm.
3. Upped my starting ramp pressure to 6 cm. Thus eliminating  ramp at pressures below 6cm. 
4. Tried all 4 EPR settings. 0 and 1 were less than comfortable. 2 was comfortable as well as 3, however, 3 was not more comfortable. 

As a result EPR 2 and 6 min pressure is my sweet spot as far as comfort is concerned. This means my min Exhale pressure is 4 cm. This was too low to control obstructive apnea’s so I gradually raised my minimum pressure to 6.4 cm. 

Now, with obstructive apnea’s under control, I then raised/lowered my max pressure to my 90% pressure. 

This is the point where I could sleep, and once I could sleep, the sleep/wake junk slowly went away. 

Last 2 nights my AHI was .1 each night. Only 1 event each night. One 10 second CA and 1 10 second HA. 

Also, I might add, I only make changes once per month. It takes time for a body to adjust.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.