Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Took the titration test.
RE: Took the titration test.
You guys said that if I get a standard CPAP not to worry about calibration. Could you elaborate a little more on that? I'm not skeptical, I am just green to all of this stuff and didn't understand what you meant. I thought that it had to be calibrated precisely. I am going to beg for an APAP, but if I end up with a poorly calibrated CPAP I just want to know what to expect.
Post Reply Post Reply
re-read Sleepriders last post.  and do NOT accept a machine you do not want.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you get a CPAP with data capability, you will be put into the position where you will need to make setting changes to optimize your results. The data will tell you about things like apnea events and their type, snores and other information that is useful. Auto machines also show flow limitation. With that information you can see if the AHI is too high, and make appropriate pressure changes. An Auto CPAP will do this automatically within the set range, but even an Auto may need adjustment to work optimally.

All we're saying is that you can make a fixed CPAP with data work. If you get a brick without data it can be demoralizing. You will only know how many hours of use you have. If you feel tired or have other problems, it will not help you figure out what needs done without another sleep study...that may be what your doctor's business wants, but it's clearly not working for you.

Get the Auto. Have you called for a list of in-network providers yet? You need this leverage to negotiate. You are not obligated to get your machine from the place the diagnosed or tested you. That is like using a mechanic that inspects your car to do repairs without competing estimates.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pretty sure it will have data, because she said it will have an sd card that will show my compliance with using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will the "brick" show the AHI number and all of that? Because that is the kind that I need for a comprehensive DOT readout.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2017, 12:08 PM)UKwildcatfan Wrote: You guys said that if I get a standard CPAP not to worry about calibration. Could you elaborate a little more on that? I'm not skeptical, I am just green to all of this stuff and didn't understand what you meant. I thought that it had to be calibrated precisely. I am going to beg for an APAP, but if I end up with a poorly calibrated CPAP I just want to know what to expect.

I think your just confused on the use of the word "calibration" by your sleep clinic.  They are talking about setting up your machine on the findings of the titration study.  Nothing is precise.  A sleep study with a titration is just one night, and alot of times the patient doesnt sleep well during that test.

Just an example:  I was titrated at a pressure of 8, but in reality I need to be around 10.5 to give me an AHI of under 1.  

If I didn't have an Apap machine, it would have taken me a much longer time to figure out where I needed to be with my pressure to get the best results.

The important thing here whether you end up with a cpap vs apap is to be sure it is not a "brick."  (a machine that is not data capable.)   A brick will give you AHI reading and hours of use. That's about it. You cannot get a comprehensive readout from a brick.

It's up to you, do you research.  Check out the link on machine choices to better help you understand.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok here's the deal, my uncle went to the same doctor and he said they give everyone the same kind so I went and looked at his. Idk what kind it is but it says Phillips Respionics Dream Station. He says his is sat at 8. I'm pretty sure this is the kind they've will give me. I took a pic but don't know how to upload it. It said the files are too large.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2017, 01:23 PM)UKwildcatfan Wrote: Ok here's the deal, my uncle went to the same doctor and he said they give everyone the same kind so I went and looked at his. Idk what kind it is but it says Phillips Respionics Dream Station. He says his is sat at 8. I'm pretty sure this is the kind they've will give me. I took a pic but don't know how to upload it. It said the files are too large.

we need the model number on the bottom.  The words from the DME are saying it's data capable for all the data THEY need, which is just compliance.
Post Reply Post Reply

• Philips Respironics Dreamstation 400 series (Pro) or 500 series (Auto). Refuse the 200 series CPAP Plus.

• Resmed Airsense 10 Elite, or Autoset. Refuse any thing labeled only CPAP or AirStart.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2017, 12:59 PM)UKwildcatfan Wrote: I'm pretty sure it will have data, because she said it will have an sd card that will show my compliance with using it.

Compliance is nothing more than hours of use and percentage of days with greater than 4-hours of use.   This is not efficacy information or AHi, leaks and other data.

If they dispense dreamstation, the model number includes the number 200, 400 or 500.  That corresponds to Brick CPAP, Pro CPAP and Auto CPAP.  The 200 is the one you hand back. 

Seriously, this is a setup for failure.  You are in an integrated clinic that is designed to maximize profits by diagnosing, testing and dispensing at the lowest cost, while collecting maximum insurance and copayment.   I feel badly for you.  From your posts, I know how this ends.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 124 7 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 171 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 134 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 282 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 214 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.