Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Took the titration test.
RE: Took the titration test.
Hi UK,

I got stuck with a straight CPAP brick before I even knew what a brick was. Until I discovered this forum my journey could best be described by the phrase "ignorance is bliss". When I came to the conclusion that help was needed and found this forum I quickly learned about bricks. I still have it and probably can not get a new machine through my insurance for another two years plus. It is my intention to bite the bullet and purchase the machine that I need out of pocket within the next couple of months. If you have not accepted and started using a brick please heed the advice given you in this thread and dig in. Take the advice of a WWII hero, General Joseph "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell :"illegitimi non carborundum" (look it up).

If you are already stuck with a brick find out how to get data from the SD card. You will probably have to download the clinician's manual to learn how to do that. I can get a very limited amount of data from mine but have used that data to arrive at a pressure setting that keeps my AHI below 5. My machine will provide me with AHI numbers and a breakdown between apnea and hypopnea. With some tedious and time consuming I can also find the duration of the events. That's all. 

With the understanding that you need clearance to be on the road but it is also important to optimize your results and get the best treatment available for your own health and safety and for the safety of others. Stick with it.

Stan, a UT fan
Post Reply Post Reply
Call DME suppliers in your area and find out if they accept your insurance or Medicaid program policy. Tell them what you want. If they will work with you, they can get the prescription from your doctor by fax. This will show your current doctor you are serious, and guarentees you will get the AUTO CPAP machine you want.

You don't have to get your equipment from the doctor or clinic that has diagnosed you.
You don't have to get your equipment from the doctor or clinic that has diagnosed you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks

What advice would you give me though, if they did give me the brick Thursday? How long will it take me using it for them to see that it is not calibrated right? Then, what will they most likely do in this situation? I know I have asked a lot, but just really want to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
What would your advice to me be if they did give me the brick thursday? How long will it take me using it for them to tell if it is calibrated wrong, and then what will they do?
Post Reply Post Reply
"Calibrated" correctly to them likely means AHI <= 5, and compliance.

If you are high they will likely raise your pressure, BUT ONLY IF YOU COMPLAIN.
Post Reply Post Reply
When they give it to you, update your profile with the machine make and model. If you feel good it's working. If you don't feel good, we won't know why and neither will your doctor. They will tell you go use your machine, it is set for you. If you keep complaining they will ask you to schedule another test that will come out of your pocket. The machine cannot provide information on whether it is "calibrated" to you, but I think it will show the apnea hypopnea index, but not the types of events.

The way this works is, the clinic maximizes profits and you get the cheapest equipment they can legally dispense. Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2017, 01:41 PM)UKwildcatfan Wrote: What would your advice to me be if they did give me the brick thursday? How long will it take me using it for them to tell if it is calibrated wrong, and then what will they do?

You still haven't clarified why you are planning on accepting the brick.  You have received some excellent advice on this thread, and yet you still are asking questions that make it seem like this machine will be forced on you and there is nothing you can do.   Go reread posts from sleeprider and countless other folks who have offered you good advice.  

You can and should REFUSE any machine that is a brick.  You are entitled to a copy of your sleep study and prescription.  The only way your clinic makes money is if you get a machine through them - and I mean any machine, even an auto device.  They still make money of an AUTO device, just not as much.  If you refuse the machine, they MAKE NOTHING.   Do not give them your business if they do not provide you with a machine you want.  

They will not care whether treatment is "working" effectively, they will only care that you are meeting compliance requirements.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can't they just raise the pressure without me going to another sleep study?
Post Reply Post Reply
Even you can change the pressure. Don't worry about it. If this is acceptable to you, it certainly should be fine by the rest of us. It's your choice, and you are going in with your eyes wide open. You have been given choices, so yours is an informed choice. We will be glad to help you get the most out of your new machine.

Would you mind saying what the name of the clinic is? It would be interesting to look them up.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
It's a really small clinic and they don't have a website or anything. If they insist on me taking the brick, and I am going to beg them to give me an APAP, I will just try it 30 days and tell them I don't think it's working. What will they do then?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 126 11 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 171 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 134 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 282 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 214 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.