Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Took the titration test.
RE: Took the titration test.
Once you take the CPAP, they will monitory you for compliance for up to 90 days. Normally your insurer requires that you are at least 70% compliant over any 30 day period in the first 3 months. Compliance means use for 4 or more hours per day on 21 of 30 days. Failure to show compliance usually means they take back the machine. You cannot take the brick, and expect to return it. Once you take it, that is the only CPAP that will be dispensed and covered by insurance or your health plan.

Insurance does not recognize the difference between different types of CPAP machines. They pay the same, regardless of whether it is an auto or a fixed brick. That is why you need to get the right machine the first time. You have only one shot at it, and if you want to change, it will be on your own dime.

One last time, you do not have to get your machine from the doctor or clinic that diagnosed you; and you probably shouldn't
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I am saying is, how will the doctor know if the machine is helping treat my apnea or not?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2017, 04:15 PM)UKwildcatfan Wrote: What I am saying is, how will the doctor know if the machine is helping treat my apnea or not?

Your doc will likely have access to your usage statistics:  duration of use, number of days used and your AHI.  

Your AHI can be used to roughly gauge effectiveness.  An AHI lower than 5 is considered treated.  If your AHI is higher then it will signal to you and your doctor that treatment isn't effective enough.  I imagine it will be trial and error to find a more effective pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there any way you can see your own AHI on your machine? And if you cannot, that is crazy that they don't let you see it. I hope I can see it too on my own.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2017, 05:44 PM)UKwildcatfan Wrote: Is there any way you can see your own AHI on your machine? And if you cannot, that is crazy that they don't let you see it. I hope I can see it too on my own.

Yes, you will be able to see your AHI, and you can also request the clinician manual from this site which will allow you to make changes yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this with all CPAP machines?

Also, here is what I don't get, If they cannot calibrate it right, then why don't they just calibrate the machine to the highest pressure that the machine puts out? Wouldn't that solve the problem? Do you understand what I am asking?
Post Reply Post Reply
A straight CPAP pressure of 20 would be pretty intense and would be a recipe for failure. A lot of people don't need a pressure that high for effective treatment.

As for machines - I would imagine it will be a PR Dreamstation CPAP, or Resmed CPAP, or Airstart CPAP. As far as I know, all machines will now show summary compliance data + ahi.
Post Reply Post Reply
How would 20 be a recipe for failure? Wouldn't you be getting plenty of air with it? At any level it is sat at, will I still feel better than before? I mean any little thing helps right?

I mean any pressure will be better than sleeping without it, right??
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, if I recall correctly you have never used a cpap before correct? A high pressure like that may be hard to tolerate and you may not be able to sleep until you've had time to adjust. It will increase the likelihood of leaks within the mask, and high leaks can compromise your treatment when not effectively controlled. It can also increase the likelihood of aerophagia and possibly cause central apneas.

It might be better to start with your prescription and make small, incremental changes and you can observe how your AHI is reacting and go from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I fell asleep for about an hour in the lab, I woke up and the pressure was so high it was blowing my jaws open. It stayed like that the rest of the night. He raised it up when I fell asleep, so I don't know. I'm not gonna worry anymore. I mean any pressure is better than sleeping without the mask at all right? What I am saying is, even if it isn't enough pressure, it will still help me right?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,096 2 hours ago
Last Post: jkossis
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,534 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 143 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 110 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 149 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 252 03-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 147 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.