Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tooth Extraction - Should I sleep without CPAP until healed?
Tooth Extraction - Should I sleep without CPAP until healed?
I'm having a tooth removed soon (a back molar). And I've been pondering what to do about CPAP during however long it takes to heal.

Is the pressure bad for it while it's healing?  Will the pressure be painful?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tooth Extraction - Should I sleep without CPAP until healed?
I had four extractions last year and had no problem using my cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too, had a tooth extracted since having started SA Therapy. I continued to use my machine. No problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
You use a nasal mask. The pressure should make no difference because it never reaches your mouth, but even if you used a FFM, there would be no purpose in discontinuing CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've one removed and a couple of crowns and had no issues. If you are concerned, ask your dentist about it as part of the post removal care. One thing I do know is do NOT use a straw to drink with as it can lead to a dry socket due to the sucking reflex.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't had so much as a cold since commencing PAP therapy 28 months ago, but I did have a lesion under my nose a couple of weeks back that was a Herpes eruption.  I covered it with a bandage and still used my nasal cushion.  Worked fine.

To address the OP's question directly, it should be something quite obviously contradictory to dissuade you from wanting to use this essential therapy.  A broken jaw, even, would not be a case for eschewing the use of either a nasal or a full face apparatus to treat sleeping problems.  If anything, you want to get the very best sleep you can eke out of your trying circumstances.  You'll already be under stress, maybe not have slept particularly well for a couple of nights prior to your surgery.  Nope, I'd be looking forward to the use of my Olde Friend.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad 
I had a back molar infection 2 months ago,  I couldn't find a dentist for 2  weeks due to virus transmission concerns, after several courses of antibotics the infection increased Too-funny . Then found a dentist who did take it out. OH what a relief Smile Smile Smile
But my jaw was sore just were the mask strap crossed my jaw and I am also side sleep so didnt use a mask for a week . I dont think there would have been healing concerns if I had worn  a mask earlier.

All the best
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a badly abscessed tooth removed, and had the site prepared for an implant.  I developed a serious infection and lots of pain.  I used my pap machine through it all with no problems. I can't imagine you will have any trouble.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of these replies of your experiences! I'm very heartened to hear all of that! Thank you!!

I would prefer to *not sleep* than to sleep without my CPAP. So I'm really glad to hear you guys didn't have discomfort from, or problems due, to CPAP. (The strap/ headgear issue is a good one to think ahead on. And thanks for the tip on the straw - I'll write that down in my own after-care note that I've already started writing.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I figured I'd update this, in case others come across this thread and are looking for input.

Background info: I tend to be overly self-aware, which leads to my body being more sensitive than others. Also, I was avoiding taking pain meds, so this may have also made it so I was feeling more pain than some others may feel in the same situation.

The primary reason for my concern is because after tooth extraction, one is not supposed to "suck" on anything for a while, in order to prevent dry socket. Yet many of us PAPers use the tongue suck technique when using nasal masks/pillows. So I was concerned about the sucking being contradictory, damaging, or uncomfortable.

Admittedly, the first night I didn't get much sleep. I tried without my mask, but just couldn't sleep. So then I tried my masks.

- I tried with the FFM (so I wouldn't have to do the tongue suck technique), but it wasn't comfortable. I don't know if it was just imaginary or real, but I believe the positive pressure in the FFM made my extraction area hurt more than it was already.

- So I switched to my nasal mask, and it worked out fine enough. I convinced myself that the sucking part was only behind my tongue, so it shouldn't affect the extraction area. It was the only way I could sleep, so I figured it would have to be okay.

I found that the sucking pressure/tension of my tongue was painful on the extraction area (which was a farthest back tooth). I lowered the pressure of my machine (from 9 to 6.5), so that I didn't have to use as much pressure of my tongue to maintain the tongue suck technique's seal. This helped me greatly.

- After about a week, my pain had lessened enough that I was ready to raise my pressure back up to my usual well-treated pressure.

I hope that's helpful to others.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 160 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 180 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.