Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tooth Pain After Two Months Mask Use
Tooth Pain After Two Months Mask Use
Hi everybody,

I've been using a DreamWear mask with a DreamStation machine for several years now. I've always found that after a few months with a new mask, I start to experience pain in my jaw (the upper back of my mouth, to be precise) and on the bridge of my nose. (Strange since the mask doesn't touch that part of the face.) I also feel tired during the day, though my AHI is not higher than usual.

I try adjusting the tightness but it doesn't seem to help. When I replace the cushion and headgear the problem goes away.

But the amount of time before this happens is getting shorter and shorter. It's now down to two months. I really don't want to buy replacement parts this often. And I've been told by several people that new masks should last longer than this. (I am washing the cushion in warm soapy water daily, the headgear weekly.)

Is there something else I can try to prevent this problem from recurring?

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tooth Pain After Two Months Mask Use
I'm not at all certain, but it seems that the mask may be overly tight or maybe a wrong size for you. Take a look at the Wiki on mask adjusting (I have a link in my signature) and see if it gives some insight. It could be that you may want to consider another brand/model if problems continue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. The 'Mask Primer' was indeed helpful. I tried adjusting my mask as per its guidelines, and ended up with a much looser fit.

The pain is much improved, but my software says I had 'significant periods of major mask leakage'. And I do feel a little tired today, though my AHI was 1.53.

My instinct is to tighten; the Primer says not to do so automatically, but I'm not sure I'm reading it correctly. Any suggestion on what to try next?

Thanks again for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, and if you need to tighten it up, just do it a very little bit. Another thing is try varying it a bit on top to bottom. They may not need to be equally snugged up. Try for the best balance of comfort and leak control. Grade it if it's acceptable then. If so, just keep plugging away. If not, maybe a new mask model or size does the trick. Best to your success.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there. Quick point... are you sure it’s tooth pain? The air from CPAP can enter the eustachian tubes in your ears and cause pressure that can mimick tooth pain, especially if you end up mouth breathing.

Just a thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2020, 09:28 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Welcome, and if you need to tighten it up, just do it a very little bit. Another thing is try varying it a bit on top to bottom. They may not need to be equally snugged up. Try for the best balance of comfort and leak control. Grade it if it's acceptable then. If so, just keep plugging away. If not, maybe a new mask model or size does the trick. Best to your success.

Thanks! Balance is getting better. But what do you mean by 'grade it'?

(07-05-2020, 08:05 PM)Sabina Wrote: Hi there. Quick point... are you sure it’s tooth pain? The air from CPAP can enter the eustachian tubes in your ears and cause pressure that can mimick tooth pain, especially if you end up mouth breathing.

Just a thought.

Oh, wow, interesting! Now I'm not so sure. Any resources where I can read about this problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
"grade it" means after adjustments, and having obtained a balance between no leaks and pain, etc. grade or decide if it's a good situation or not. Never put up with pain and discomfort. If it needs to be that tight, either a different sized cushion or different model or style of mask is needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have experienced the same problem.

For me, the answer is to replace the cushion regularly (monthly), and to wash the headgear regularly (once it seems to be stretching out).  

I know plenty on this forum say they make a cushion last a year.  I get it.  Perhaps that's possible for some.  But for me, I just can't.  After a few weeks to a month, the cushion starts leaking or I have to crank it tighter to keep it on right, and then I start having pains in places.

Everybody is different.

So I'd take this as a cue to replace your cushions and wash your headgear more frequently.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2020, 08:05 PM)Sabina Wrote: Hi there. Quick point... are you sure it’s tooth pain? The air from CPAP can enter the eustachian tubes in your ears and cause pressure that can mimick tooth pain, especially if you end up mouth breathing.

This is an excellent point to consider!

I had jaw/ear pain, and it ended up that I needed to lower (or actually eliminate) my EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2020, 02:14 PM)Art Stan Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 09:28 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Welcome, and if you need to tighten it up, just do it a very little bit. Another thing is try varying it a bit on top to bottom. They may not need to be equally snugged up. Try for the best balance of comfort and leak control. Grade it if it's acceptable then. If so, just keep plugging away. If not, maybe a new mask model or size does the trick. Best to your success.

Thanks! Balance is getting better. But what do you mean by 'grade it'?

Just a thought.

Oh, wow, interesting! Now I'm not so sure. Any resources where I can read about this
My resource is personal experience and a discussion with my ENT. Though you might find something online. 

I get air pressure in my ears when my mouth opens during CPAP, feels just like a toothache. My sinuses have cleared up since CPAP and it has resolved because I no longer have to breathe through my mouth. It also helped to reduce the EPR.

https://www.enttoday.org/article/middle-...ssure-use/
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Many OA's and neck/shoulder pain sfgiants123 2 92 11 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 263 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 14 846 03-30-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: redking2436
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,094 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 394 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,748 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 570 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.