Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Torena, sleep position monitor for Android (similar to SomnoPose)
Torena, sleep position monitor for Android (similar to SomnoPose)
Has anyone tried "Torena - apnea sleep position trainer"? It's an Android app that "helps you track your sleep positions while sleeping and allows you to set an alarm for a specific sleep position". It sounds a lot like the iOS app SomnoPose which folks here have talked about: you strap your phone to your chest and sleep at night and get a report in the morning about when you were on your back, side, or stomach. Also has an alarm feature to alert you if you're in a position you want to avoid.

I haven't tried it yet. Mostly because I don't have the belt I need to strap my phone to my chest, also the silly psychology where you think twice about paying $10 for a mobile app. OTOH if it works it's totally worth the cost and setup hassle to me.

There's nothing in the app description or website that indicates OSCAR support. OTOH it does have a data export feature so I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get the data in to OSCAR one way or another.

FWIW I went looking long and hard for a position tracker for Android and this is all I came up with. I did find an interesting reference to a 2017 scientific paper (in German) that evaluated SomnoPose and a different Android app that found both that the trackers were accurate and that they were helpful in treating positional sleep apnea. The Android app they reference is called "Apnea Sleep Position Trainer" by a company called Con4m. That's no longer on the Google Play Store but I found references to it online. Looks like it's a discontinued app. Or maybe Torena is a continuation of it, not sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Torena, sleep position monitor for Android (similar to SomnoPose)
If you can find the Apnea Sleep Position Trainer APK file, it is a very simple installation on your phone.  Just download the APK file to your phone.  It will be placed in your Download directory.  Double tap on the filename, and it will install it on your phone. Since it isn't currently available, it may be free.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah the older app is definitely acquirable if you're not too worried about the license niceties. But does it still work on a modern Android 11 phone? One major change Android made a couple of versions ago made it much harder for apps to run in the background continuously and I was worried it'd affect an older position tracker. I'd be glad to pay $10 just for some developer to have dealt with that for me.

I've ordered the belt now so I'll probably end up trying one or the other of these apps. Will report back. Still curious about anyone else's experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would have used a section of an Ace bandage for the belt, but that is the cheapster in me. You could try it and if it doesn't work, uninstall it.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've now tried Torena for about half an hour and got a feel for what it does. It's a good app, seemed to work when when I took a nap. It works a lot like I imagine Somnopose does; tracks the phone's orientation and uses that to detect which way you're lying down.

Now to figure out how to get the data from Torena in to OSCAR. I'm guessing making Torena's data export look like a Somnopose CSV is the easiest route. It looks like Torena's export is pre-analyzed. Somnopose writes a CSV with a bunch of rows with timestamps and orientation of the phone in degrees. Torena has that internally but what it exports in its JSON file is just a record of position changes. "On your back from 03:13:03 to 03:19:01". I can convert that back to raw orientations, albeit with a loss of fidelity. (Ironically the Torena debug log does have a record of exact orientation but that's not available for export.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the log file located in the Torena directory on your Android?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I received a message from the Torena developer, saying:

I am a developer of the Android app Torena which tracks sleeping positions, and if desired, provides an alarm at a certain position (e.g. supine).
From one of my users I was asked if I could provide an export in a CSV format that can be read by Oscar, where I end up with CSV files that the iOS app Somnopose exports. Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I invited him to come to this thread and also to think about collaboration... More to come!
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh cool! That was me writing him about the OSCAR compatibility. My hacking project today is to take the data files that are currently available and get them in to OSCAR one way or another.

I like the app quite a bit. I used it all last night and got what looks like accurate data from it. I'll attach the graph you get from it in the app.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Small world Smile
From your graph I guess that you get up from bed on the right hand side... 
Personally I would suggest the developer to change the order of the bars to (top-to-bottom):
Up - Right - Back - Left - Stomach

Just my two €-cents
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Success! See the attached image for my OSCAR import. It works; Torena is totally viable for tracking sleep positions in OSCAR! Nice to have an Android alternative to Somnopose.

I wrote some Python code to do the conversion. It was pretty simple really. However I have not done the work to make this a useful tool for other folks to use, or even for myself to easily reuse. That's a lot more work. I think there's three ways to proceed:

1. Turn my convertor into a nice reusable program
  2. Ask the Torena devs to export an OSCAR-compatible Somnopose CSV in the app
  3. Design a new input format for OSCAR along with the Torena dev
I think the second option is simplest if the the Torena devs are willing. The third option could yield a really nice result for OSCAR but it requires thinking through some questions about OSCAR as a product. For instance it'd be nice to have a more intuitive presentation than numbers from -180 to 180. That's what Somnopose outputs and it's great to have the data in OSCAR at all, but I'm already imagining something better.

(I have some more detailed notes on my blog.)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 2 - so what can I monitor? p123 2 439 10-02-2023, 09:28 AM
Last Post: p123
  Oscar not seeing Wellue 02 Monitor Data mcman56 1 658 09-13-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Latest version of the Vihealth Android app doesn't produce the files for OSCAR wlewis 7 1,746 06-11-2023, 04:36 PM
  Sleep HQ now can import Apple Watch sleep data JCW888 2 1,830 06-02-2023, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Android OSCAR ever? OldTatoosh 2 1,463 04-23-2023, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  SPO2 WRIST MONITOR CMS50F DanMcD 1 626 04-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Question Anyone know of an App or Video Program that can Record Sleep Position Automatically? Plmnb 3 770 04-11-2023, 11:12 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.