Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tossing and Turning in Sleep - Sleep Apnea?
Tossing and Turning in Sleep - Sleep Apnea?
I have had problems with excessive tossing and turning in the night - for many years. It struck me this morning that this may be from sleep apnea. Perhaps, I am tossing and turning in the night to get more air? I am exhausted when I get up in the morning.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did the tossing and turning resolve once the sleep apnea was treated? I appreciate any feedback...Thanks

PS. *I am not on a CPAP or any other apnea treatment yet...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tossing and Turning in Sleep - Sleep Apnea?
Prior to CPAP, I moved around a lot in my sleep. Since CPAP, I sleep almost exclusively on my left side (have always been a side sleeper). This is so that the exhaust air from my mask does not blow my wife off the other side of the bed. I do normally roll over onto my back just before waking up but I am pretty sure that at least 90% of my sleep time is on my left side. For a while my hip got sore at night from staying in the same position for so long. A lot of this is conjecture since I do not really know what happens while I am asleep.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2015, 10:38 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Prior to CPAP, I moved around a lot in my sleep. Since CPAP, I sleep almost exclusively on my left side (have always been a side sleeper). This is so that the exhaust air from my mask does not blow my wife off the other side of the bed. I do normally roll over onto my back just before waking up but I am pretty sure that at least 90% of my sleep time is on my left side. For a while my hip got sore at night from staying in the same position for so long. A lot of this is conjecture since I do not really know what happens while I am asleep.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Thanks for the feedback Payton Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I could not hurt to get with a Dr. and check on apnea though.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2015, 03:31 PM)Shastzi Wrote: I could not hurt to get with a Dr. and check on apnea though.

Wink

I've been checked - I do have sleep apnea. I just wasn't sure if this was the cause of the tossing and turning.
Post Reply Post Reply
It might be, and it might not Smile I toss and turn still in response to arousal. This can be SA, but could also be other things - like pain.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2015, 07:00 PM)DariaVader Wrote: It might be, and it might not Smile I toss and turn still in response to arousal. This can be SA, but could also be other things - like pain.

You live in Oregon so you are probably just trying to find a dry spot. Big Grin Grin

You should come on down to CA we have some reallllllly dry spots.

Sorry.....couldn't resist!

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2015, 03:33 PM)linn Wrote:
(10-12-2015, 03:31 PM)Shastzi Wrote: I could not hurt to get with a Dr. and check on apnea though.

Wink

I've been checked - I do have sleep apnea. I just wasn't sure if this was the cause of the tossing and turning.

Sleep Apnea causes all kinds of problems, including brain damage.
Make best possible speed to get on a therapy program.
Then come back and talk to us so we can show you
how to work with the equipment. (The Dr. and DME usually dont)

Best of luck!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2015, 09:55 AM)Shastzi Wrote:
(10-12-2015, 03:33 PM)linn Wrote:

Wink

Sleep Apnea causes all kinds of problems, including brain damage.
Make best possible speed to get on a therapy program.
Then come back and talk to us so we can show you
how to work with the equipment. (The Dr. and DME usually dont)

Best of luck!

Hopefully, I will have the equipment by the end of the month. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
..and don't let them send you out the door with any old piece of junk.
Wink
Be sure to check it out with us when you get it in.
Hopefully you'll get an APAP that is fully data capable.

Wink

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 75 1,705 58 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 102 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 63 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.