Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tossing up between AirMini, AirSense, Transcend Auto....
Tossing up between AirMini, AirSense, Transcend Auto....
Hi brains trust!
Hope you can help me with a decision.  I have mild-moderate OSA.
A year ago I tried the Philips Dreamstation and a range of their masks, couldn't get through more than a few hours per night.  Gave up, 2 weeks ago I tried out the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with the N30 (nasal cushion mask) and it's working quite well.  

Now, given that it's improving my wakefulness I'm thinking it would be beneficial to get a travel machine.  

2 main choices are the Resmed AirMini, and the Transcend Auto

Resmed Airmini has the benefit of having the same software as the AirSense 10 so it should respond and act the same way.  However, it has a limited mask selection - and not the one I'm used to.  i'm trying one of the AirMini masks, but if I can't get used to that then it rules out the AirMini.

However, if I get used to it, then I'm considering the AirMini as my primary and travel.  Unless there are other differences I should know about?  I know it doesn't have the humidifier, but it has the Humid X inserts....

If not, I might get the Transcend Auto for travel - what differences will I notice between that and the AirSense?  I'm guessing with the Transcend, being a much cheaper model, I'll still want the AirSense as my primary....

Anybody have any comments on the Auto versus a more premium machine, or any insights at all?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tossing up between AirMini, AirSense, Transcend Auto....
Welcome

By the way, it's a good idea to put your machine & mask details in your profile/sidebar.

There is a current thread here about backpacking with a travel CPAP machine, so read that for a few ideas, and search past AB discussions for much more.  There are dozens of threads, some of them going back years (but others more recent), about choosing and using travel CPAPs.

That said, my recommendation is:  Don't do it if you don't have to!  Instead, use your Airsense 10 Autoset, which works perfectly well in any place that has an AC outlet: hotels/motels, airplanes, etc.  It can also work quite well from a battery, depending on the type and make & model of battery.  The main question is:  Do you really & truly need to minimize the size and weight of the CPAP setup, and operate it from a battery?  If so, then a travel machine like the Airmini is appropriate.  But if not, then save yourself a huge amount of hassle and expense, and take your A10 Autoset everywhere. It's the One True CPAP.

When you're using the A10 from a battery, you'll need to switch off the humidifier heater (called "Humidity Level" in the settings) and not use the heated hose; replace the Climateline tube with a regular cheapie plastic tube or a Resmed Slimline.  You can use passive ("passover") humidification with water in the tank but no heat at all; or you can use no humidification: remove the tank and replace it with Resmed's special side cover made for that purpose.  The cover is optional, not included with any standard Air10 package, and it costs about US$20.  Web-search for "resmed airsense side cover" (but without the quotes) to find it.

When you're using the A10 from a battery, you'll also need either Resmed's DC-to-DC converter, part # 37297, or the equivalent but more versatile product from Battery Power Solutions, which has more cabling options and can be used with other 24VDC devices (not just CPAP) besides the Resmed. Search for part number "FBA_BPSC-24V-RES".  Don't use an inverter and plug the Resmed's power brick into the inverter's AC outlet; that's a monstrous waste of battery power.  With a battery, you omit the Resmed AC-to-DC brick and use the DC-to-DC converter box instead. It costs about US$70 but is worth it to get the benefits of the Air10 every night, compared to anything else.

Resmed battery guide (PDF): https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf

By the way, another possible reason to use your A10 everywhere is that travel-CPAP machines and batteries are not covered by insurance. They're not considered "medically necessary" by the insurers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fats Drywaller Wrote:By the way, another possible reason to use your A10 everywhere is that travel-CPAP machines and batteries are not covered by insurance. They're not considered "medically necessary" by the insurers.

Not necessarily the case outside the US, Fats. Here in Australia every health fund has its own rules as to what or how much they will cover, depending on the table you're on.

However I do agree with Fats that a dedicated travel CPAP might not be good value. It really does depend on where you're travelling and how. For backpacking you'll want to save every gram possible. If you're flying / driving / cruising then the effective saving is fairly minimal. The machine itself might be smaller, but you still need to carry a hose and mask, which can be somewhat bulky. I've taken my old S9 on numerous trips around Australia, south-east Asia and Europe and never had any problems. However I don't do camping or back-packing any more.
Post Reply Post Reply
I only got the Air mini when i take a nap during a flight. For sleeping nights I always take my main machine with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use my Resmed Aircurve 10 (same size as Airsense) when traveling, even by motorcycle. It is a relatively compact unit and much quieter and more comfortable than any of the travel machines. I think your experience with the Philips shows you tolerate the way the Airsense delivers therapy, but you are disrupted or don't get equivalent results with the other machine. The same problem could resurface with a travel specific machine. Unless you are truly dependent on a very small, light and possibly battery powered unit, just travel with your home machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some good feedback, thanks.

We will be backpacking - now having said that, we tend to have our backpacks with us as little as possible and try to spend 2-3 nights in each location, so the weight isn't the biggest issue, although the size of the Autoset in the backpack might be a problem
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I have used an Air Mini for only a few weeks, and will be happy to keep it as my main machine bar the odd issue.
I travel a lot, sometimes to a holiday l shack, my capital city, friends  or overseas. I also hike and camp. I found packing the Airsense 10 a pain,
and am a reasonably light traveller. The extra bag is still an extra bag. The Mini is a breeze. 
The supplier did propose it as a main machine, but pointed out the lack of humidifier, which is not a problem to me. My outdoor experience tells me I breath out a lot of water vapour each night, and the Airmini recognises this fact and the water tank machines seem to ignore it.
The supplier also pointed out the noise issue, which doesn't bother me when asleep! It is also better than my snoring, according to my wife.
The lack of an SD card, though, does make the relevant data less obtainable  and will keep you pleading to your supplier, which is ridiculous,
I have asked on another post what travel machine is made by a company that does not put your data in the cloud for everyone to see except you.
I am tempted to get try and encourage every user of cpaps to give poor reviews on every website they can find to Resmed until they end this ridiculous secrecy.
Scarper
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 83 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,653 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 1,918 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 308 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,904 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 21,271 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 225 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.