Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Total Newbie - Help!!! Please...
RE: Total Newbie - Help!!! Please...
Hi Josh,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you start CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Josh,

I did the self diagnosis as well but consulted with my PCP using overnight oximetery charts recorded with a contech CMS50IW. I bought a gently used Airsense 10 from Craigslist and new masks online (order mask and headgear separately to avoid prescriptions). I've been monitoring my progress for the past two weeks using the Sleepyhead software and my Oximetery readings. What I can tell you is my O2 Levels at night have stabilized with fewer drops. I used a small range 6-12) on the auto pap for a few nights to figure out what adjustments to make (8-14). I feel a little better (less dizziness/drowsiness in the day) and hope with time to feel a lot better. I do not think I could have made any progress with a non-data manual machine as there are just too many variables to consider. This includes understanding when the settings from the machine are actually causing issues (e.g., centrals) or when the machine is adjusted too low and the apneas continue to occur. If you choose to do this without a Dr. or a sleep study, it's really important to get a data capable auto machine. In my case the machine and masks(2) ran about $500.
Post Reply Post Reply
So... Would the Remstar Auto A-flex be a better solution?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2015, 09:02 PM)Josh Wrote: So... Would the Remstar Auto A-flex be a better solution?

Yes, 550 or 560 series.
Check Supplier #2, see suppliers list top of page. You may find a deal on new open box.

Also, depending on your budget, some of the other suppliers are offering deep discounts on the PR system one 560 series with AFLEX.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2015, 09:02 PM)Josh Wrote: So... Would the Remstar Auto A-flex be a better solution?

Depends which Remstar model, there are several. The older Remstars would not be supported by the software most of us use. Model 550 or 560 would both work. Are you looking at a particular machine? Can you check on the model number?

EDIT: Opal Rose posted while I was typing. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend one of the ResMed S9 or a Philips Respironics System One (PRS1) models. Both of these are now old in the sense that each of the two manufacturers has introduced an newer line. But make sure you get a fully data-capable machine.

Look here for some good information: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

You should be able to find one on craigslist if you live close to a high-population area. You will have to keep checking and be ready to grab one when it becomes available. Like if you see an ad on a Friday make contact immediately and go get it on Saturday morning.

Since you have trouble exhaling against the pressure I recommend the ResMed S9 VPAP Auto or the PRS1 BiPAP Auto (Model 750P or 760P). You will be very lucky if you find one of those. Barring that get one that auto-adjusts. Barring that get a fully data-capable straight pressure CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleepster, I'll keep my eyes open. I was asking about the Remstar because there's one for sale fairly inexpensively (asking $200 CAD). I'll look for the other ones. In the meantime...
Night one with this machine, I set it at 6 as I found that even 8 was too high. I wore it for about half hour before I went to sleep to try to get used to it. I had difficulty falling asleep and found myself waking from the pressure in my ears. After about an hour I woke up and took it off as the ear pressure was too much. This morning I can still feel the discomfort in my ears.
Is this normal? I thought of maybe trying it on 4 tonight.

What I did find though is that even after I took the mask off, my airway seemed to be more open and clear for the rest of the night, that too has extended into the morning. Also... Normal?

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did similar to you. I knew I had OSA and didn't want to pay for a sleep study. I got an older used APAP that records data. Then I can see the pressures that the machine adjusts me to when automatically when I am asleep. I can also use my computer to fiddle with settings like min and max pressure and ramping up at beginning of sleep.

One thing I did was purchase a recording Bluetooth Oximeter that measures my O2 level at night. The think it was like $40 or less. I wasn't using my CPAP because I didn't like it, then I saw my oxygen was dropping to almost 60% fifty or a hundred times per night. Under 90 isn't good. Under 70 you risk organ failure. I got scared and made up my mind to find the right mask, machine, and settings to make it possible. Now I'm able to use mine every night and feel much better. Don't give up. Unfortunately without a sleep study or an APAP it will be difficult to know what settings to use on your machine and you may start adjusting it too often without really understanding if it's getting worse or better.

Good luck. Come back before you decide to give up!
--
Vivaldi
Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2015, 03:16 PM)Josh Wrote: Also, as I'm playing with the machine trying to figure it out, I put it on set at 10, then 8. I find it difficult to exhale. I'm using the nose mask. Is this normal?
Thanks

I don't think severity predicts setting. I have severe apnea with 50 events/hour and my autopap says my pressure is 10.1
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Vivaldi and usertc.
Right now I'm just trying to get used to it. I found the setting of 5 was popping my ears 2 nights ago and I took it off after an hour. I set it to 4 last night and took it off after about an hour and a half as I found I wasn't getting enough air.

Finding it very difficult to sleep with the mask on. I'll fiddle around some more and hopefully get more comfortable.

Could the Remstar auto be a 551P? Will that provide the auto setting and data capable?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 113 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 174 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 501 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 193 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 285 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 265 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.