Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Total Newbie - Help!!! Please...
RE: Total Newbie - Help!!! Please...
(11-03-2015, 07:49 AM)Josh Wrote: Could the Remstar auto be a 551P? Will that provide the auto setting and data capable?
Thanks

The 551P is an auto (APAP) -- it is data capable and compatible with SleepyHead. The U.S. version of that machine is the 550.

It doesn't have the heated hose option like the newer 560, but many people have done fine without a heated hose. A hose cover can help warm the air coming through the hose should you want that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2015, 01:47 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: It doesn't have the heated hose option like the newer 560, but many people have done fine without a heated hose. A hose cover can help warm the air coming through the hose should you want that.

Just wanted to chime in and say I have this model, and you're correct - a hose cover does wonders. I keep my bedroom cold at night (I do better if the thermostat's turned down to 60). I bought a fleece hose cover on Amazon, and it virtually eliminated condensation building up in the hose from the temperature difference -- and gives me a much nicer warm dose of air.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2015, 07:49 AM)Josh Wrote: Could the Remstar auto be a 551P? Will that provide the auto setting and data capable?

I think that's the same as the 550P, just in a nation other than the US.

That's a good machine. But it seems you are not tolerating the pressure very well. The lowest possible pressure setting is 4. Because anything lower would not keep the hose purged of exhaled air. You should try using the machine when you awake. It helps you adapt.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I've been trying to adapt. I increased the pressure a bit, I guess just the first night was rough on the ears. Now I'm finding not enough pressure, however I still haven't lasted more than an hour or so at night before ripping it off...
I'll keep trying to get comfortable.
That 551P is asking $200 CAD (about $160 US), seems like a good deal? All the other ads for the same machine are asking $325 and up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I assume these are used units you are considering, if so, please find out how many blower hours are on the machines. This is different than user hours.
User hours can be erased, but blower hours cannot.
There probably won't be a warranty, and if you have problems, then that's money wasted.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Josh, as far as adapting, we all have been there! It isn't easy for everyone.
You can try setting up your machine in another room, and while awake, with mask on and machine running, sit and read or watch TV for awhile. This can help you adapt to the feeling.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 09:20 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I assume these are used units you are considering, if so, please find out how many blower hours are on the machines. This is different than user hours.
User hours can be erased, but blower hours cannot.
There probably won't be a warranty, and if you have problems, then that's money wasted.

Agree, and I would also ask about whether the machine has been in a smoking household. It is very difficult to get the smell off and out of the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 09:04 AM)Josh Wrote: That 551P is asking $200 CAD (about $160 US), seems like a good deal?

Almost too good to be true, especially if it hasn't been snatched yet. Like others have said, check blower hours, but also check to make sure it comes with the humidifier and power supply.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It comes with humidifies and power. I'll ask about the blower hours but I don't think they'll know. Is there a limit to how many hours should be acceptable?
I'll keep at trying to get comfortable. The pressure seems to be less now that in the beginning so I'm either adjusting or there was some clog in one of the vents before.
Thanks, I'll try to pick up the other one and then ask how to use is... lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Asking about the run hours (Run Hrs) on the machine is a good thing to do. Whether he knows how to do it or not you'll need to learn how to do it when you go look at it. (Get the clinician's menu from Apnea Board).

As for how many hours is too many? There's no answer, but the higher the number the better your chances of negotiating a better price.

Let's do some counting. Five years is (or at least was) the medicare replacement schedule time. Five years times 365 days times 8 hours is almost 15 thousand hours. So I would use that as a guideline. We rarely hear about this brand of machine failing from old age, it has a reputation for being well built in comparison to other brands. We hear accounts of users having them for much longer than 5 years. Mine has about 4500 hours and it's working as good as new.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 5 10 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 483 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.