Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Total Newbie - Help!!! Please...
RE: Total Newbie - Help!!! Please...
I just got the machine. It looks almost new. The hose still has the fold marks. I'll plug it in and play with it a bit and try it out tonight. It came from someone who didn't really use it and was given to someone's daughter who refused to. That's who I got it from.
I'll try it out tonight and see what happens.
Any settings or buttons I should make sure to press?
Thanks again.
Josh
Post Reply Post Reply
josh, did you determine what model this machine is? If you know, order the clinicians manual for it.

Oh, and you should clean that hose before you use it, even if it does look new. My 2 cents. Smile
Make sure there is a clean filter too.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Rose. Will do.
In my first 5 minutes with this machine... It is infinitely more comfortable that the other one. Good start. I'm running through the manual now, will look online for the clinicians manual. Smile
There are 106 blower hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I'm playing I have a couple of questions:
Now dealing with Respironics Auto A-Flex (equal to 550)
A-Flex, C-Flex or None?
Machine is currently set to 5-20.
Will it be in Auto mode and detect the needed pressure? Is there a setting I need to ensure this?
Thx
Post Reply Post Reply
Josh, you can order the Clinicians manual top of this page (CPAP Setup Manuals).

In the meantime, to get into the providers menu, turn the dial until Setup is highlighted. Now hold down the round knob and the arrow button at the same time untill you hear a beep. Now your in the setup menu. From this menu, scroll down and choose APAP mode and set your minimum and max pressure setting.

Also, in this menu, you can set an AFLEX setting if you need exhalation relief. Set it at 2 to start, you can always change it later.

Just scroll through all the settings, it is self explanatory. I would leave ramp off.
When done, exit out.

Now here is the hard part. You've never had a sleep study, and I know you want to self titrate, but this is a quessing game with pressures that I'm not real comfortable with.

Here's the thing, you can guess at this and you won't be successful unless you download Sleepyhead software and track this. There will be no way to know how to tweak your numbers without that data.

If the machine has an auto trial mode, and I think it does, then that may be the best route to go.

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, It looks like if I turn Auto on, that's the trial mode, is that right? I can't find another way to start it and google seems to indicate that although I can't find anywhere specific that spells it out.
I'll get Sleepyhead and see if I can make heads or tails of it.
I'll see how tonight goes, hope for the best and try to do better tomorrow. Thanks again, Rose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Click on Mode. You choices should be: Auto, A-Trial, C-Check, CPAP mode.
If choosing A-Trial, set the days you want to trial, then you need to set a min and max setting.

Now I'm not sure what you mean when you don't know how to start it????

Order the Clinicians manual, see top of page. (CPAP Setup Manuals). It's free.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
The only options are Auto and CPAP, maybe it doesn't have the trial?
Post Reply Post Reply
Possibly the 550 doesn't have auto trial. If not, then you will have to set a pressure range and get sleepyhead running so you can see what you pressure needs will be.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
On it, thanks again, Rose. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.