Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Total Newbie - Help!!! Please...
RE: Total Newbie - Help!!! Please...
I thought that trials were to try the auto mode. Why would a machine that has an auto mode also have an auto trial mode or is A trial something different?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The trial mode is a marketing scheme. If you have an auto-adjusting CPAP machine like the PRS1 Model 550P you don't need, want, or have that trial mode.

Trial mode is on machines that won't run continuously in auto mode. It's a stupid rip off marketing scheme. Plus, they don't give you full data reporting.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is definetly an A-Trial Mode on my PR560 Auto CPAP. Never used it though.

I believe the OP has the PR550 that does not offer A-Trial.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This might also be a stupid question, but once you know your optimal setting, you turn off auto mode and leave it set there, yes?
I made it about 3 hours tonight. Getting better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Josh,
If you are running this machine in auto mode, then you leave it on auto mode. If you are using a straight CPAP pressure, then leave it set on CPAP mode.

As far as knowing optimal setting, that takes time. You just started therapy, and as I stated prior,
You will have to download software, and look at your numbers and graphs to see what is going on.

What pressure range did you set?

Also, please update your profile with exact machine model. With water out of humidifier, turn unit upside down and look at the model number.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Machine updated.
It was set at 5-20 which is where I left it. I'm working on getting Sleepyhead and will look at the information as soon as I get it.
Hopefully I can make some sort of sense out of it.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 09:32 AM)Josh Wrote: Machine updated.
It was set at 5-20 which is where I left it. I'm working on getting Sleepyhead and will look at the information as soon as I get it.
Hopefully I can make some sort of sense out of it.
Thanks

So, did you use it last night on that setting?
What was your AHi and you 90% pressure. Look on display under info, and scroll down.

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, 5-20 was the setting last night
AHI was 11.4
90% was 8
What does that mean?
Post Reply Post Reply
Josh, since you're still adjusting to the machine, it's not a good idea to use a single night of data to draw conclusions. Your AHI is unacceptably high based on the first night's stats, but we would need to look at the Sleepyhead data to see what the breakdown of AHI is between hypopnea, obstructive and clear-airway apneas, as well as your leak rates. A 90% pressure simply means you were at or below that pressure 90% of the time. The 90% pressure is often used as the therapeutic pressure in setting a fixed CPAP, however, your AHI still appears high, so there are other things to consider.

If you'd like to post Sleepyhead graphs, here is a good tutorial: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
We would be most interested in seeing daily details for Event Flags, Flow Rate, Pressure, and Leak Rate. Using the tutorial, it wold look something like this:

[Image: Mz9zhbEl.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 10:21 AM)Josh Wrote: Yes, 5-20 was the setting last night
AHI was 11.4
90% was 8
What does that mean?

AHI of 11.4 means you had an average of over 11 events per hour. We don't know the breakdown of these events (meaning hypopneas, obstructive or clear airway)
until we can look at Sleepyhead.

A goal is to get your AHI below 5. A suggestion, bump your minimum pressure up to 6, and make sure ramp isn't on. The max pressure can be brought down too, but you can do that later.

You can also download Encore Basic Software. Not as detailed as Sleepyhead though. Here is a link:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...hines-only

The 90% pressure means this: you were at a pressure of 8cm or lower for 90% of the night. Note the words (or lower). Doesn't mean you sat at a pressure of 8 for all that time. This is where it's important to look at your data to determine where your best pressure should be.

Anyway, how do you feel today? You only slept 3 hours.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 396 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 491 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 274 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.