Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Total Newbie - Help!!! Please...
RE: Total Newbie - Help!!! Please...
(11-09-2015, 10:21 AM)Josh Wrote: Yes, 5-20 was the setting last night
AHI was 11.4
90% was 8
What does that mean?

90% of the time your pressure was 8 or below. That's good, because it means the machine is not reaching the maximum pressure most of the time.

AHI of 11.4 is well above 5, which is not good, but doesn't matter much because you're sleeping without the machine on. Using it for part of the time means you're doing very poorly.

The other number you need to look at is your leak rate.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. I actually didn't wear it last night so I don't have any updates. I will try to get Sleepyheads today and import the data and upload it.
A couple of things that I don't know if would skew the data: After wearing the mask for 3 hours, I took it off. I then woke up around 3:30 and put it back on for about 45 minutes, where I didn't fall asleep. I also found myself taking some deep breaths through my mouth.
I think that raising the lower lever to 6 would be good as I felt at times like I wasn't getting enough air.
I'll try to upload a graph later today if I can, or I'll provide an update in the morning with some new numbers.
Thanks all, I'm learning a ton.
Post Reply Post Reply
Josh, I agree that your starting pressure may be too low. I know when I started therapy, my doc set my machine at 4-20. It was horrible. It is a feeling of suffocation, like you just can't get enough air.
There is no reason not to move it to 6, but again as I said in earlier posts, we are flying blind here to help you with an optimal pressure range until you can get us some data.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the chart, I only highlighted the first part as I didn't fall asleep during the second part. Is there a way to delete it? There is also some information from 2013 which I should probably delete.
Thanks
http://i.imgur.com/9stwSPk.png
Post Reply Post Reply
Just looking at your pressure graph, tells me you would be better off starting at 6.

It may be a good idea to click on the detail chart and open up some of the events and check the length of events. On the left, click on clear airway and a drop down box will appear and show a number in parentheses. This is the amount of time it lasted.

Your not really getting to enough sleep, but you need to keep at it. If you wake up in the middle of the night, instead of turning machine off and or taking mask off, just hit the ramp button and it will take you back down to starting pressure. This may help you.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
New chart:
http://i.imgur.com/hmpS3NV.png

90% pressure is at 9.6 for a 7 day average (I don't see how to only get last night)
AHI 8.8 for 7 day average
Better? Worse?
What's this big scary looking Cheyne Stokes Respiration?
Post Reply Post Reply
Improving, but It looks like your only sleeping 3 to 4 hours.

Doesn't the screen on the APAP show your AHI for Day1, then a 7 and 30 day average?

Day 1 is the AHI for last night, same as showing at the top of detail page to the left of your graphs which is 6.28

I wouldn't worry about the CSR/Periodic Breathing right now.

Let's give it a week or so, and see what the numbers are before making any more changes.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been taking it off. The mask gets too uncomfortable on my face at night. It's been getting better though so hopefully I'll get more comfortable and be able to leave it on longer.
I don't have a 1 day, only 7 and 30. I'll play around and see.
I guess I'll leave it as is for a few days and upload a new graph over the weekend, once I'm able to get a few more days of info.
Thanks again. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Josh,
Unfortunately, the mask is the hardest part to adapt to, but keep trying. Sleep-well
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Josh, the CSR is a default label used in Sleepyhead, and it's probably wrong. Many of us change that to Periodic Breathing (PB) in the Preferences menu. You can do a search for periodic breathing, and see that it is simply a breathing pattern that may be harmless, or a serious medical concern. It is often recorded during sleep disturbances (sleep/wake junk), or can be seen in people adapting to CPAP and is not a concern. You can zoom in on the events and see the wave form. I can tell from your charts that you are not consistently experiencing CA or H events during those periods flagged as CSR, therefore it cannot be Cheyne Stokes.

Getting comfortable with the mask is a big deal. You might want to try out some nasal pillows.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.