Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Totally New CPAP User - CLUELESS
Totally New CPAP User - CLUELESS
Hi All,

I am new to this CPAP thing. I am a 41 yo male living in Chicago IL. in USA. I have just gotten diagnosed with a MODERATE level of sleep Apnea. (I dont know how only Moderate I am and have always been tired). 
I have been tired for my entire life. Especially the last 10 years, I sleep a big part of the morning. I cannot get up on time for almost anything. I admit I do not go to sleep early which is what i should do but I still should not be so tired 80% of the day. I have taken ADHD Meds to keep myself artificially awake for the rest of the day.  

Two other big issues: 

I often watch tv shows before bed with my CPAP Mask on. It helps me get used to wearing it but that data of course is still being recorded.  
Also, I am overweight. Not obese but i should definitely lose 50 plus pounds. I have huge cravings not just for sugar but for anything unhealthy!!

I have only used the CPap (dREAM sTATION pHILIPS) for a few days but it has not been helping. WhAT is going wrong? What should i do differently?

I am open to ALL FEEDBACk. I look forward to "meeting" and interacting with you all. I have been looking all over the boards but I fail to understand what I should be doing differently (ie pressure, sleep, etc) 

I have attached screenshots of sleepyhead. I have no idea what any of it means!

thank you for reading,
Sincerely,
Mark[attachment=3637]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Totally New CPAP User - CLUELESS
Hi Mark, welcome! Your attached image shows us that you are having quite a bit of obstructive events with many hypopnea, some obstructive apnea and accompanied by lots of snores and flow limitations. It would help if we could see the daily details. See the link in my signature on organizing a Sleepyhead chart, and we will be able to see settings, respiratory and apnea statistics that can help us to interpret your results.

Given the number of obstructive events, you need to increase pressure. It appears you may have an auto CPAP, and while your profile shows you have a CPAP pressure of 8.5, the chart shows a pressure declining from about 11.0 towards 10.0 during the time highlighted. You are using Flex which provides a lower exhale (EPAP) pressure by about 2-cm. So your settings are not what your profile describes. Whatever minimum pressure you have setup in your machine, I think you will benefit from an increase of 1-2 cm, and if in auto mode you may also need to change the maximum pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, 

First thank you for replying. Yes I have Flex which I am using at 3 I think. My thinking which is likely incorrect is if its meant for comfort, than it cant hurt me if I use it all the way. No?  

Also the ramp is on (45 minutes I think) The minimum is 7 and the highest is 20. 

Those links in your signature do not appear to be working. 

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mark!
I'm having the same problem with the links. . .It's not you.   For help, try using the links in my signature below.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will also admit I changed my CPAP pressure myself. I was given 8.5 and initially the low level of 4 as the minimum was too low so I bumped it up to 6 or 7 and the ceiling I also raised to a 20 since in my mind I have an auto machine so if I dont need 20 I will never get there right? 

I am sure my thinking is wrong because my therapy is not working. 

Again to repeat in my data the first hour or so, I am awake watching a TV Show or movie with my mask and cpap on. 

I am trying to be as honest as I can because I have zero energy throughout my day and I want to help myself. 

thank you again,

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
The cpap therapy will take awhile for result. Some people start seeing i provements real fast others take 1month or longer . So keep it up and you will start seeing results slowly.  I am on my third month and i am just now starting to be less tired. But I had other resulst faster,  lower blood pressure,  allergies improved, also myblood sugars dropped abit. So have patience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Theilluminator,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some time to get used to, so just hang in there with it, you have come to the right place for guidance to optimize your therapy.
Good luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, Mark.  
I started out a lot like you (settings were the default 4 to 20 pressure, have fine-tuned to min 10 max 12.5) and have progressed only with the help of this forum.  Have had a few days where I felt good in the am before coffee - noticed that it's when AHI is under 1.0. 

It is a process.  Someone here explained that your body has adapted to rough night breathing, perhaps for years, and will need time to adapt to better sleep breathing and that thing on your face!  Glad that you were diagnosed at a relatively young age. 

Keep studying here.  Both the APAP machine, Sleepyhead, and other parts of the sleep environment; pillows, sleep position, neck collars, etc.  I even changed to a toothpaste that doesn't make me choke when I use it (from a vitamin store). 

Some of your unhealthy cravings may be looking for quick energy (carbs) to make up for your sleep quality deficit. Try to resist.  I'm working on no carbs after 7 pm, no computer/phone, bed after the first yawn.  Keep bedtime TV sound very low if you don't stop it.

Humans are so adaptable that we adapt to crap.  Laugh-a-lot  
Keep in touch.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2017, 08:11 AM)Theilluminator Wrote: I often watch tv shows before bed with my CPAP Mask on. It helps me get used to wearing it but that data of course is still being recorded.
There's nothing wrong with wearing the CPAP while watching TV in order to get used to it. Lots of people do that because it can help people become consistent, full time CPAP users.

But can you tell us how time you spend watching TV with the CPAP mask on before you turn the TV off and try to get to sleep?

We need to know this in order to determine how much of the data to ignore at the beginning of the night. In particular, if you watch TV until 12:30am (0:30), then all those Hs scored at the beginning of the night can and should be ignored. In other words, if events happen while you know you are awake, you need to ignore them when figuring out your AHI.

The reason why is this: Wake breathing is much less regular than sleep breathing, but your machine does not know that you are awake. Hence when you use the CPAP while awake, the machine may mis-score many normal wake breathing patterns as abnormal sleep disordered breathing events.

I'll write a lot more after you tell me roughly how long you watched tv with the mask on during the night you posted the data for.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
lets have a look at the cravings, you know you aren't a lazy slob, it is biochemical

See if this rings true to you. This gives a simple overview to how it works for me. The more sugar/starch carbs I eat, the more sugar/starch carbs I want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEayi6IB...D8&index=6

what to expect the first week, besides being hungry for the first 2 days, then it stops
https://www.verywell.com/getting-through...ek-2242037

you may not need to go this low, but it will help you see what a meal plan is.
http://au.atkins.com/new-atkins/the-prog...ction.html

The hardest part is overcoming the low fat dogma for the last 40 years.
https://www.verywell.com/how-to-overcome...ia-2242208
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 27 507 1 hour ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,505 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,046 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,021 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,597 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 301 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 617 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.