Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: AirFit™ F10
CPAP Pressure: 8.0-8.0
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Sad Traction Alopecia & Mask Straps
Hi, I've been a CPAP user for a little over 6 years now, I got my replacement machine recently...

About a year ago I decided it would be cost effective to keep my hair very short, unfortunately I didn't think that it would turn my hair into sandpaper that catches everything.

Around the same time I switched to a new mask from the Quatro FX to the Airfit f10. The areas of hair loss are exactly where the straps are and it's becoming quite noticeable.

I keep my mask tight because I can't stand hair leaks in my eyes, I know this is largely part of the problem, second to having the hair so short making it very coarse.

I am a 22 year old male and there is no history of alopecia in my family.

I'm looking for an alternative strap system for my Airfit f10, I have worn the straps out on one side of my mask anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't think my DME is going to be of much help. They will claim it's not possible. Well, you can get it from head bands and anything too tight that causes a lot of friction on hair follicles. I wish I had known sooner why my scalp hurt to the touch and identified it sooner. Sad
12-24-2015 07:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Sex: Female

RE: Traction Alopecia & Mask Straps
Hi Mayoko have you tried looking thru the suppliers lists at the top of the forum and glancing thru their masks to see what other options are available? Might find something that is better for you.

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
12-24-2015 07:30 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi Mayoko,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I’m sorry to hear that your mask is causing you such problems.
Hang in there for ideas.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a mask that will work for you.

trish6hundred
12-24-2015 08:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Have a look at Pad-a-Cheek. They make mask liners and also strap liners which may reduce the pressure on your scalp and the wear and tear on the straps.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-25-2015 06:35 AM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(12-24-2015 07:01 PM)Mayoko Wrote:  ... I switched to a new mask from the Quatro FX to the Airfit f10. The areas of hair loss are exactly where the straps are and it's becoming quite noticeable.

I keep my mask tight because I can't stand air leaks in my eyes, I know this is largely part of the problem...

Hi Mayoko, welcome to Apnea Board.

I use the Airfit F10, and my treatment pressures are 14 or 15 for EPAP and 20 to 25 for IPAP. Controlling leaks is a constant challenge.

I absolutely cannot stand leaks on my eyes. I use a mask liner (RemZzzs), without which leaks would bother me terribly. With the liner, there is never any mask burping/trumpeting, and leaks are either gone or are much softer and not bothersome.

Liners require effort to get used to. Specifically, I put the liner on while laying on my back in bed, with mouth partly open, so that the liner covers my lower lip and the bridge of my nose, and then I put on the mask, being very carful to keep the left and right upper straps the same length, and the left and right lower straps the same length. Then I very gently pull or fold the liner slightly toward my nose bridge in order to get the liner to not touch my eye lashes. After a while we get used to the liner touching the eye lashes a little.

The instructions which come with the liners say to use a new liner every night. I ignore the instructions and am careful to not stretch or pull on the liner, and liners last me about a week or two. One day I may make liners myself, but out of better material which does not stretch out so easily and which is easier to wash and re-use.

When I wash them I zip them in a small laundry mesh bag so they won't get loose and clog the washing machine drain lines. And they need to be steam ironed to become flat again.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

ADDED:
Also, check out this thread (and its links) on masks and controlling leaks.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid143999

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2015 01:41 AM by vsheline.)
12-26-2015 01:15 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best chin straps for women somnia16 2 240 08-28-2016 08:37 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Chin straps Austin 5 520 06-09-2016 07:46 PM
Last Post: green wings
  Acne From Straps? player 3 482 03-12-2016 08:49 AM
Last Post: green wings
  Pillow straps macheta 2 583 12-14-2015 04:08 PM