Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Traction Alopecia & Mask Straps
Sad 
Traction Alopecia & Mask Straps
Hi, I've been a CPAP user for a little over 6 years now, I got my replacement machine recently...

About a year ago I decided it would be cost effective to keep my hair very short, unfortunately I didn't think that it would turn my hair into sandpaper that catches everything.

Around the same time I switched to a new mask from the Quatro FX to the Airfit f10. The areas of hair loss are exactly where the straps are and it's becoming quite noticeable.

I keep my mask tight because I can't stand hair leaks in my eyes, I know this is largely part of the problem, second to having the hair so short making it very coarse.

I am a 22 year old male and there is no history of alopecia in my family.

I'm looking for an alternative strap system for my Airfit f10, I have worn the straps out on one side of my mask anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't think my DME is going to be of much help. They will claim it's not possible. Well, you can get it from head bands and anything too tight that causes a lot of friction on hair follicles. I wish I had known sooner why my scalp hurt to the touch and identified it sooner. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Traction Alopecia & Mask Straps
Hi Mayoko have you tried looking thru the suppliers lists at the top of the forum and glancing thru their masks to see what other options are available? Might find something that is better for you.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mayoko,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I’m sorry to hear that your mask is causing you such problems.
Hang in there for ideas.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a mask that will work for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Have a look at Pad-a-Cheek. They make mask liners and also strap liners which may reduce the pressure on your scalp and the wear and tear on the straps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2015, 07:01 PM)Mayoko Wrote: ... I switched to a new mask from the Quatro FX to the Airfit f10. The areas of hair loss are exactly where the straps are and it's becoming quite noticeable.

I keep my mask tight because I can't stand air leaks in my eyes, I know this is largely part of the problem...

Hi Mayoko, welcome to Apnea Board.

I use the Airfit F10, and my treatment pressures are 14 or 15 for EPAP and 20 to 25 for IPAP. Controlling leaks is a constant challenge.

I absolutely cannot stand leaks on my eyes. I use a mask liner (RemZzzs), without which leaks would bother me terribly. With the liner, there is never any mask burping/trumpeting, and leaks are either gone or are much softer and not bothersome.

Liners require effort to get used to. Specifically, I put the liner on while laying on my back in bed, with mouth partly open, so that the liner covers my lower lip and the bridge of my nose, and then I put on the mask, being very carful to keep the left and right upper straps the same length, and the left and right lower straps the same length. Then I very gently pull or fold the liner slightly toward my nose bridge in order to get the liner to not touch my eye lashes. After a while we get used to the liner touching the eye lashes a little.

The instructions which come with the liners say to use a new liner every night. I ignore the instructions and am careful to not stretch or pull on the liner, and liners last me about a week or two. One day I may make liners myself, but out of better material which does not stretch out so easily and which is easier to wash and re-use.

When I wash them I zip them in a small laundry mesh bag so they won't get loose and clog the washing machine drain lines. And they need to be steam ironed to become flat again.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

ADDED:
Also, check out this thread (and its links) on masks and controlling leaks.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid143999

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unexpected iatrogenic side effect to have hair loss, and while it is little consolation, you are not alone.  3months ago a new sleep medicine MD directed me to pull straps tight to prevent occasional air leaks with ResMed Amara View FF, and now I am discovering crown hair loss with sensitivity and redness.   Dermatoligist stated that it is probably not hair sheering, but follicle irritation which includes demise.  I've worn the Amara View over 10+ years, and conclude it is the recent torque effect.  Bummer.  So less tension, little padding over the head gear, switching to new Evora Full Face, topical homeopathy rosemary essential oil, as all the vitamins are already covered.
I don't like it either, but cognitive fog was worse...so doing the best I can.  Take care.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 407 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 297 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] I have TMJ Syndrome and mask straps can aggravate it. KStanLD 7 1,030 07-14-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Uphold9887
  P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? Snorzz 11 2,817 05-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: maxquaas
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,748 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.