Training Yourself to stop Mouth Breathing?
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: Training Yourself to stop Mouth Breathing?
I wish I could do that. I can go several weeks without it, or sometimes only a day, but I always end up needing it again. I've given up and just wear it whenever I'm sleeping. It goes on under the mask so if I have to get up to pee or something I can just leave it on. It has to come off for midnight snacks, though, as it's hard to chew with it on. Oh-jeez

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-15-2013 02:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zimlich Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics PR System One BiPap Auto SV Advanced
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed gel Nasal Mask
Humidifier: System One
CPAP Pressure: 8-20 ASV, 8 EPAP,PS 12
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I use the Quattro FFM when necessary

Sex: Female

I just switched from my Quattro FX to a ResMed Nasal mask and I am usually a mouth breather. I've been wearing a chin strap and trying to keep my tongue on the roof of my mouth, behind my front teerh. I'm not sleeping as well as I'm worrying subsconsciously about opening my mouth. When I do, the results are so dramaticc with air rushing out of my mouth that I think it would rouse me unless I'm in the deep stages of sleep. My leak information looks pretty good so I guess I'm not opening my mouth during the night.
Mary
02-16-2013 09:15 AM
Utsarah Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift Fx for Her
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I've been using the chin strap for about 4 months and I doubt I'll ever be without it.
02-16-2013 05:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Alzwell Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed VPAP S Easy-Breathe
Mask Make & Model: Quattro FX FFM
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14 inhale/9 exhale
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

[quote='TheWerkz' pid='27879' dateline='1358883662']
"First off, I don't understand the logic as to why anyone would want to go through all the grief of wearing chin straps and/or tape on their mouth and then having to hold your tongue in a certain position (and to always face West) while you sleep or other extremes when the simple problem of breathing through the mouth is easily remedied with a properly fitted Full Face Mask."

The reason I would like to "train" myself to not breathe so much through my mouth is because of the dry mouth it creates. I hate the feeling of waking up several times during the night with such a very dry mouth. Then I have work to salivate so that I can make sure my mouth is moist. I go back to sleep and next thing I know I'm waking up with a dry mouth again.

I am planning to try the tongue against the top teeth and see if that helps.

Just a note: When I tried to use the quote and deleted everything except the idea that I was addressing, I lost the quote feature. So I put quotes around the statement. I'll keep learning, I promise!

Gloria
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2013 06:35 PM by Alzwell.)
02-16-2013 06:32 PM
GaryG Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Activa LT Nasal Mask
Humidifier: S9 H5i humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 7-15

Other Comments:

(02-16-2013 06:32 PM)Alzwell Wrote:  Just a note: When I tried to use the quote and deleted everything except the idea that I was addressing, I lost the quote feature. So I put quotes around the statement. I'll keep learning, I promise!

Gloria
You left out a [/quote] at the end! Good luck with stopping the mouth breathing.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2013 07:15 PM by GaryG.)
02-16-2013 07:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
pdeli Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips Respironics, BiPAP Auto, Bi-Flex, 760P
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
CPAP Pressure: 6.0 - 9.5 cmH2O

Other Comments: Type II Diabeties

(01-22-2013 02:41 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:  First off, I don't understand the logic as to why anyone would want to go through all the grief of wearing chin straps and/or tape on their mouth and then having to hold your tongue in a certain position (and to always face West) while you sleep or other extremes when the simple problem of breathing through the mouth is easily remedied with a properly fitted Full Face Mask.

I'm new here and having a little trouble figuring out the msg process, but here goes.

I have found that I am generally unable to keep to keep my mouth closed. Even if I get the chin strap adjusted correctly (which I can't), air escapes through my teeth. I have resorted to taping my mouth and that seems to work well. It also seems that with my mouth glued shut, the likelihood of me developing obstructive sleep apnea is either small or none. I can't pretend to understand the physiology here , but as I've said, I think it works.

Any comments?

Phil
03-03-2013 07:55 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(03-03-2013 07:55 PM)pdeli Wrote:  I'm new here and having a little trouble figuring out the msg process, but here goes.

Welcome!

Quote:I have found that I am generally unable to keep to keep my mouth closed. Even if I get the chin strap adjusted correctly (which I can't), air escapes through my teeth. I have resorted to taping my mouth and that seems to work well. It also seems that with my mouth glued shut, the likelihood of me developing obstructive sleep apnea is either small or none. I can't pretend to understand the physiology here , but as I've said, I think it works.

The tape prevents the pressurized air from escaping from your mouth. Thus your airway remains pressurized and can't collapse. That's the way the CPAP is supposed to work, except for the part about the tape.

Taping your mouth closed is a dangerous thing to do. You could suffocate if there's a power failure or some other malfunction. You could also suffocate on your own vomit if you throw up.

Does your chin strap keep slipping off? They make more elaborate versions that have enough straps to prevent that from happening. If it doesn't work for you talk to your equipment provider about a full face mask or a hybrid mask. These masks cover your mouth and have an anti-asphyxiation valve for safety.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-03-2013 09:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-14

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

(03-03-2013 07:55 PM)pdeli Wrote:  I have found that I am generally unable to keep to keep my mouth closed.

You'd get along great with my daughter.
Duct tape, perhaps?
Offtopic
03-03-2013 10:33 PM
pdeli Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips Respironics, BiPAP Auto, Bi-Flex, 760P
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
CPAP Pressure: 6.0 - 9.5 cmH2O

Other Comments: Type II Diabeties

Quote:I have found that I am generally unable to keep to keep my mouth closed. Even if I get the chin strap adjusted correctly (which I can't), air escapes through my teeth. I have resorted to taping my mouth and that seems to work well. It also seems that with my mouth glued shut, the likelihood of me developing obstructive sleep apnea is either small or none. I can't pretend to understand the physiology here , but as I've said, I think it works.

The tape prevents the pressurized air from escaping from your mouth. Thus your airway remains pressurized and can't collapse. That's the way the CPAP is supposed to work, except for the part about the tape.

ISN'T IT A GOOD THING THAT THE AIRWAY CAN'T COLLAPSE? THAT'S WHAT PUZZLES ME.

Taping your mouth closed is a dangerous thing to do. You could suffocate if there's a power failure or some other malfunction. You could also suffocate on your own vomit if you throw up.

NOT WORRIED ABOUT VOMIT , BUT POWER FAILURE COULD BE A PROBLEM.

Does your chin strap keep slipping off? They make more elaborate versions that have enough straps to prevent that from happening. If it doesn't work for you talk to your equipment provider about a full face mask or a hybrid mask. These masks cover your mouth and have an anti-asphyxiation valve for safety.

IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE EVEN IF IT DOESN'T MOVE, THE AIR ESCAPES THROUGH MY LIPS WITH MY MOUTH CLOSED. ALSO, I CAN'T SEEM TO GET A GOOD SEAL ON THE FULL FACE MASK.

HYBRID?

Phil
[/quote]
03-03-2013 10:56 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(03-03-2013 10:56 PM)pdeli Wrote:  HYBRID?

A hybrid mask has two parts. Nasal pillows for your nostrils and a mask for your mouth.

If you must tape form a flap on each side by folding the tape back over on itself. That way if you wake up while suffocating you'll have a handle on each side for pulling the tape off.

You can also get a device at the home center that plugs into an electric outlet in your bedroom and sounds an alarm if the electricity goes out.

I have to say that you're a lot braver than me. I'm too scared to tape my mouth shut.

The other issue is that the chin strap will act as a training device that teaches your body to keep the air trapped behind your mouth. You can help this training process by tucking the tip of your tongue up against the roof of your mouth, behind your front teeth. Practice doing this while you're awake during the day.

I know this all sounds weird but the human body is capable of adapting to almost anything. CPAP therapy included.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

03-03-2013 11:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need opinions about breathing waveforms - REM sleep? awake? don't know? green wings 3 59 Today 07:25 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Classic example of Sleep-Wake-Junk breathing robysue 4 231 12-06-2016 09:51 PM
Last Post: richb
  Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking Visitor 44 3,680 12-06-2016 11:43 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Bite Guard for Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 11 509 11-29-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  [CPAP] Mouth slips below mask Carbonate 5 309 11-28-2016 07:35 AM
Last Post: jimscott3
Angry [Treatment] Dry Mouth Question Turborob2005 5 322 11-15-2016 10:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 31 1,064 11-15-2016 08:25 PM
Last Post: chill