Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Training Yourself to stop Mouth Breathing?
Question 
Training Yourself to stop Mouth Breathing?
Seems we have a lot of folks lately who claim to be "mouth breathers" who therefore "need" a full face mask to use CPAP effectively.

But I remember reading a while back that someone had come up with a "method" or "procedure" for "training themselves" to stop mouth breathing over a period of a few weeks, and eliminating the need for a full face mask, but I can't find that post now.

If you know the procedure I'm talking about, could you post that procedure/method here in this thread? (just post the text, if you would, remembering that commercial links aren't allowed on the forum).

I think that method could help a lot of folks here, if someone can find and post it.

Huh
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Training Yourself to stop Mouth Breathing?
It seems like I remember reading a post that Vabydoc wrote about "training" your mouth to stay closed by using a chinstrap for a while and then trying to do without the chinstrap and see if that "trained" your mouth to stay closed.
That's been quite a while back though and my memmory is a bit shady.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
JudgeMental advise me once in the old forum about placing the tongue at the roof of the mouth
it acts as a door stopper keeping mouth closed and prevent therapy air from escaping thru the mouth

I don,t think have mustered this technique. many mouth breathers including moi can use nasal mask successfully with the addition of chinstrap
chinstrap can help keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks

the nose is not some decoration item on the face, the nose humidify the air we breathe
Okay nose for breathing and mouth for eating/drinking
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm no expert on this at all but I'll add my experience. I started with a full face mask because it felt the most comfortable during my sleep study. I also have a very deviated septum and lots of issues breathing through my nose. After sleeping with the full face mask for almost 8 months I realized that I have been breathing through my nose more and more. I was eligible for another mask so I got a nasal mask to try.

When I first used it, I realized that if I didn't put my tongue on the roof of my mouth, air would escape into my mouth and it was a very uncomfortable feeling. I used a chin strap for about 2 weeks but it kept slipping. At first I only used the nasal mask for daytime naps but quickly started using it for regular night time sleep. The first 3 weeks or so I would often wake up with my mouth open and air escaping, but I got used to sleeping with the tongue against the roof of my mouth. Now, I only wear the full face mask if my nose is plugged up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll definitely have to try putting my tongue on the roof of my mouth. I hate my chin strap!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have heard of the tongue to the roof of the mouth behind the front teeth also.
I, too, have nasal issues which preclude the use of a nasal apparatus. There is always taping for the short term and perhaps keeping your mouth well lubricated might help. I don't quite understand this, but I read it when I googled the subject.
Post Reply Post Reply
First off, I don't understand the logic as to why anyone would want to go through all the grief of wearing chin straps and/or tape on their mouth and then having to hold your tongue in a certain position (and to always face West) while you sleep or other extremes when the simple problem of breathing through the mouth is easily remedied with a properly fitted Full Face Mask.

I've owned exactly 1 FFM I've been using for over 4 1/2 years and I've never had a problem with it sealing against my face, so, exactly how would I benefit from trying to force myself to not open my mouth when I'm asleep? How much greater would my CPAP therapy be if it were being delivered through either a nasal mask or nasal pillows that I'm not already getting through my FFM?

I actually received a brand new Swift FX for free when I bought my S9, I tried it for a couple of hours but I woke-up gasping for air through my mouth, so I tossed the Swift into the garbage and grabbed my Mirage Quattro - switched the mask type back to FFM on the S9 and went back to sleep. All it did was to create a problem and I'll never do it again, there's absolutely no reason good enough to make me want to put myself through that experience again, after 4 1/2 years on CPAP I've determined that I really like breathing whenever I sleep, and anything less than a FFM will not consistently allow me to do so.

I have been breathing and snoring loudly through my mouth since I was around 5 years old (according to my parents), so what would I gain from going through all the grief that others have to do just to force myself to breathe through my nose? I don't understand the obsession to try and "convert" anyone here that's already receiving proper therapy while wearing their FFM? Isn't the whole idea to find a mask that fits and to wear it?

One big positive benefit that I've gained since getting my S9 with ClimateLine hose is the ability to run the humidity really high without rainout, this in turn has made my sinus and allergy problems virtually disappear for the first time in my life. The secondary benefit is that now I can actually breathe much more through my nose while sleeping than I ever have but, for unknown reasons, I still sometimes wake-up breathing through my mouth while my sinuses are completely open. For most of my life, I've HAD to breathe through my mouth, sometimes for days or weeks (literally) because of allergies, not to mention a deviated septum doesn't help, so there's a good chance that a few other CPAP users have these same considerations taken into account when they're selecting whichever mask type they want to try first or second etc.

One of the biggest problems in my opinion is caused by a lack of education on proper mask usage, like washing the mask cushion and their face, then there's the strap tightness issues, either too much or not enough, I suspect a lot of people might have a bigger problem with their bed pillow causing their mask to shift while sleeping on their side and causing their leak problems.

Lastly, being a SCUBA diver, we're taught to get used to breathing through our mouth since our face mask covers the nose, I was already used to it thanks to allergies but, I've seen new divers try to panic when they can't breathe-in through their nose even though they've got a regulator in their mouth and a full tank of O2 on their back, fortunately for them, that's what open water class is for.

I'm not advocating for any particular mask type other than what works the best for someone and is the easiest to use, especially for a brand new CPAP user, they just need to try and get used to their new equipment and how to properly use it which is a LOT to get used to at first, if they're a known mouth breather and they have a FFM, they only have to worry about possible mask leaks and not mouth leaks. I think a good RT would rather help a new user to get used to using their CPAP first before they made them start jumping through all the hoops required to only breathe through their nose.

/Rant Off!

Sleep-well

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
Ren

Well I couldn't use my full face mask. If I had to wear one I wouldn't be compliant. What works for you may not work for everyone else.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:First off, I don't understand the logic as to why anyone would want to go through all the grief of wearing chin straps and/or tape on their mouth and then having to hold your tongue in a certain position (and to always face West) while you sleep or other extremes when the simple problem of breathing through the mouth is easily remedied with a properly fitted Full Face Mask.

I tried a hybrid and could not tolerate it. Between the dried, cracked, bleeding lips and the windburned face, it was impossible for me. Like Utsarah, I'd not be compliant if that were my only choice. Perhaps if I put gauze over everything but my nostrils.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I can't use my nose effectively. Tried it but my soft palate slams shut on the airway during exhale.
I tried using chin straps but I'd wake up with them next to my pillow and not on my head!
Most unsatisfactory!
I had to spend extra time and money getting acclimated to the full face mask but it was worth it.
I tried 5 different ones. Now I have 1 that works well, and 2 back ups I can use in a pinch but they smash the bridge of my nose.
To use the back ups I can put bandaides on the nose and do just fine.
IMO, If your mouth does fall open at night with nose pillows, you might not know it unless your CPAP sounds the alarm.
(how annoying!)
If that *is* happening you are most likely going into O2 desaturations and the CPAP you paid good $$ for is doing you no good at all.
Use the chin straps and/or a pulse O2 logger just to make sure.
The brain cells you save may be your own.

Cheers!
=^.^=

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 105 Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,563 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 291 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 109 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 352 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 317 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Best Training Text Books Lesley19 1 112 04-10-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Valtor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.