Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Training Yourself to stop Mouth Breathing?
RE: Training Yourself to stop Mouth Breathing?
(02-10-2013, 04:38 PM)AuntElizabeth Wrote: After reading a lot of the posts, there does seem to be talk that the nasal mask is the superior route to take.
superior in the sense that nasal breathing is more effective than mouth breathing
full face mask allows you to breathe thru your nose or mouth but because of its size as has to cover larger area on the face tend to leak more than nasal or nasal pillows masks. leaks can affect the quality of sleep and the therapy delivered
there,re some members who uses full face mask with great success
yes use whatever works best for you to keep you compliant using your cpap

Post Reply Post Reply
There is no superior or inferior mask. It's a very personal preference. What works for some, doesn't work for others. What works perfectly one night can work less than perfectly Smile other nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll say a nasal mask IS superior to FFM. If you don't mouth breathe. If you can breathe through your nose. If you can stand to wear it.

If you can make nasal work right for you it's better. I think no one should be given a FFM unless there's a problem with that particular patient using a nasal mask.

If you have problems with nasal, FFM may be better for you despite the disadvantages.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster, I think you are making a good distinction between mouth leaking and mouth breathing.

I think my husband must be a mouth leaker, not a mouth breather, and not that often. I am a very light sleeper so I notice lots of stuff that I may or may not mention to him, especially since his AHI is very good now (one month average is running 1.1).

But can you elaborate about the difference between mouth leaking and mouth breathing. I guess mouth leaking is a one-way outgoing air noise and I am fairly sure that is what is happening. I take note of the times that this occurs and it seems to always correlate with leaks (although none of the leaks are above 24, so I have not been worrying about it particularly - except that I worry about everything to tell the truth).

He uses a nasal mask so am I correct that there is no issue of building up C02 with that type of mask?

Thanks for your help!

(01-22-2013, 10:07 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I had enough trouble with a nasal mask leaking, let alone a full face mask. I would have to get up in the middle of the night to wash my face and wipe down the mask seal. I turn over a lot in my sleep and I like to sleep on my side and my stomach. The mask kept hitting the pillow. I hated it. I am so glad there are nasal pillows.

The OP asked about mouth-breathing, which is something that can be solved only with a full face mask. Mouth-leaking is different. This occurs when the pressurized CPAP air tries to make its way out of the airway, into the mouth, and then out through the lips. Chin restraints (chin straps) help us keep our mouth from opening too far when our jaw muscles relax. I've found that I can go without one for weeks and have no problem, then I'll start mouth-leaking like crazy and have to go back on the chin strap. Sometimes I could tell I was mouth-leaking because I'd wake up with air hissing out of my mouth. But sometimes I would have to have to look at the leak data to figure it out. I don't mouth-leak when I wear the chin strap, so that's why I now wear it whenever I'm sleeping. It's as natural to me now as wearing a seat belt when I'm in a car.

When I started CPAP therapy the pressurized air would leak into my mouth and puff up my cheeks. To stop this from happening I followed the advice I'd heard and I practiced holding the tip of my tongue tucked up against the roof of my mouth, just behind my front teeth. This works. Sometimes I find myself doing it out of habit in the middle of the day.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi folks;
I am brand-new to the site. This post got my attention. I was Rx'd a ResMed CPAP machine in early December after one diagnostic sleep study and then a CPAP test. I have used full-face mask's from the get go. The CPAP kept filling my gut with air so after a month I was told I needed a VPAP machine (which to my dismay was twice as expensive and was told I had bought the CPAP and it was mine. No exchange).
Anyway...I am on the ResMed Auto VPAP and still get a gut full of air. I also have Ulcerative Colitis so it is extremely painful. Apparently after dosing off something occurs that makes me rip the mask off and go back to sleep. I'm a mouth breather and this thing is kicking my tail. Any suggestions are welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
welcome to the forum, taebaker

some folks using CPAP find EPR (Expiratory Pressure Relief) http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ure_relief offer some relief as it lower the pressure at exhale from 1,2,3 cmh2O

this might help, Tips for new CPAP users
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Post Reply Post Reply
In theory, if the airflow shuts down and you have a nasal mask, your reflexes will cause you to open your mouth and breathe through it. That's why all FFMs have anti-asphyxia valves.

If you tape your mouth shut with a nasal mask, you might keep rebreathing the air that you exhale back down the hose as the O2 levels drop and CO2 rises.

While CO2 can be dangerous, in this scenario, it's probably the low O2 levels that are the most dangerous. Either the CO2 or O2 can render you unconscious and stop you from taking the mask off if you don't wake up.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2013, 04:07 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: But can you elaborate about the difference between mouth leaking and mouth breathing. I guess mouth leaking is a one-way outgoing air noise and I am fairly sure that is what is happening. I take note of the times that this occurs and it seems to always correlate with leaks (although none of the leaks are above 24, so I have not been worrying about it particularly - except that I worry about everything to tell the truth).

You seem to have a perfect grasp of the situation. As long as the mouth-leaking is not excessive in that it doesn't bring the leak rate above 24 L/min then there's nothing to worry about. If it's a concern a chin strap may be required, perhaps only as a temporary measure, to train him to keep his mouth closed.

Mouth breathing refers to the practice of breathing through the mouth because the nasal passages are blocked due to congestion or some other condition such as a deviated septum.

Quote:He uses a nasal mask so am I correct that there is no issue of building up C02 with that type of mask?

Absolutely not. There's an exhalation port that keeps the tubing purged of exhaled air.

Quote:Thanks for your help!

You're welcome. We should all have a partner as attentive as you to pay attention to how we're breathing as we sleep. I know that since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea I pay closer attention to my partners breathing patterns while she's sleeping.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Sleepster, thanks for all of this information. I will sleep better tonite!

(02-11-2013, 08:35 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(02-11-2013, 04:07 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: But can you elaborate about the difference between mouth leaking and mouth breathing. I guess mouth leaking is a one-way outgoing air noise and I am fairly sure that is what is happening. I take note of the times that this occurs and it seems to always correlate with leaks (although none of the leaks are above 24, so I have not been worrying about it particularly - except that I worry about everything to tell the truth).

You seem to have a perfect grasp of the situation. As long as the mouth-leaking is not excessive in that it doesn't bring the leak rate above 24 L/min then there's nothing to worry about. If it's a concern a chin strap may be required, perhaps only as a temporary measure, to train him to keep his mouth closed.

Mouth breathing refers to the practice of breathing through the mouth because the nasal passages are blocked due to congestion or some other condition such as a deviated septum.

Quote:He uses a nasal mask so am I correct that there is no issue of building up C02 with that type of mask?

Absolutely not. There's an exhalation port that keeps the tubing purged of exhaled air.

Quote:Thanks for your help!

You're welcome. We should all have a partner as attentive as you to pay attention to how we're breathing as we sleep. I know that since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea I pay closer attention to my partners breathing patterns while she's sleeping.

Post Reply Post Reply
I used a chin restraint for a couple of months as I was a full fledged mouth breather. Now I don't need it and can keep my mouth shut.
Nonosign
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,178 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 41 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 388 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 320 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,082 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 812 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.