Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Training Yourself to stop Mouth Breathing?
RE: Training Yourself to stop Mouth Breathing?
I wish I could do that. I can go several weeks without it, or sometimes only a day, but I always end up needing it again. I've given up and just wear it whenever I'm sleeping. It goes on under the mask so if I have to get up to pee or something I can just leave it on. It has to come off for midnight snacks, though, as it's hard to chew with it on. Oh-jeez
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just switched from my Quattro FX to a ResMed Nasal mask and I am usually a mouth breather. I've been wearing a chin strap and trying to keep my tongue on the roof of my mouth, behind my front teerh. I'm not sleeping as well as I'm worrying subsconsciously about opening my mouth. When I do, the results are so dramaticc with air rushing out of my mouth that I think it would rouse me unless I'm in the deep stages of sleep. My leak information looks pretty good so I guess I'm not opening my mouth during the night.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the chin strap for about 4 months and I doubt I'll ever be without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='TheWerkz' pid='27879' dateline='1358883662']
"First off, I don't understand the logic as to why anyone would want to go through all the grief of wearing chin straps and/or tape on their mouth and then having to hold your tongue in a certain position (and to always face West) while you sleep or other extremes when the simple problem of breathing through the mouth is easily remedied with a properly fitted Full Face Mask."

The reason I would like to "train" myself to not breathe so much through my mouth is because of the dry mouth it creates. I hate the feeling of waking up several times during the night with such a very dry mouth. Then I have work to salivate so that I can make sure my mouth is moist. I go back to sleep and next thing I know I'm waking up with a dry mouth again.

I am planning to try the tongue against the top teeth and see if that helps.

Just a note: When I tried to use the quote and deleted everything except the idea that I was addressing, I lost the quote feature. So I put quotes around the statement. I'll keep learning, I promise!

Gloria
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2013, 06:32 PM)Alzwell Wrote: Just a note: When I tried to use the quote and deleted everything except the idea that I was addressing, I lost the quote feature. So I put quotes around the statement. I'll keep learning, I promise!

Gloria
You left out a [/quote] at the end! Good luck with stopping the mouth breathing.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2013, 02:41 PM)TheWerkz Wrote: First off, I don't understand the logic as to why anyone would want to go through all the grief of wearing chin straps and/or tape on their mouth and then having to hold your tongue in a certain position (and to always face West) while you sleep or other extremes when the simple problem of breathing through the mouth is easily remedied with a properly fitted Full Face Mask.

I'm new here and having a little trouble figuring out the msg process, but here goes.

I have found that I am generally unable to keep to keep my mouth closed. Even if I get the chin strap adjusted correctly (which I can't), air escapes through my teeth. I have resorted to taping my mouth and that seems to work well. It also seems that with my mouth glued shut, the likelihood of me developing obstructive sleep apnea is either small or none. I can't pretend to understand the physiology here , but as I've said, I think it works.

Any comments?

Phil

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2013, 07:55 PM)pdeli Wrote: I'm new here and having a little trouble figuring out the msg process, but here goes.

Welcome!

Quote:I have found that I am generally unable to keep to keep my mouth closed. Even if I get the chin strap adjusted correctly (which I can't), air escapes through my teeth. I have resorted to taping my mouth and that seems to work well. It also seems that with my mouth glued shut, the likelihood of me developing obstructive sleep apnea is either small or none. I can't pretend to understand the physiology here , but as I've said, I think it works.

The tape prevents the pressurized air from escaping from your mouth. Thus your airway remains pressurized and can't collapse. That's the way the CPAP is supposed to work, except for the part about the tape.

Taping your mouth closed is a dangerous thing to do. You could suffocate if there's a power failure or some other malfunction. You could also suffocate on your own vomit if you throw up.

Does your chin strap keep slipping off? They make more elaborate versions that have enough straps to prevent that from happening. If it doesn't work for you talk to your equipment provider about a full face mask or a hybrid mask. These masks cover your mouth and have an anti-asphyxiation valve for safety.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2013, 07:55 PM)pdeli Wrote: I have found that I am generally unable to keep to keep my mouth closed.

You'd get along great with my daughter.
Duct tape, perhaps?
Offtopic
Post Reply Post Reply

Quote:I have found that I am generally unable to keep to keep my mouth closed. Even if I get the chin strap adjusted correctly (which I can't), air escapes through my teeth. I have resorted to taping my mouth and that seems to work well. It also seems that with my mouth glued shut, the likelihood of me developing obstructive sleep apnea is either small or none. I can't pretend to understand the physiology here , but as I've said, I think it works.

The tape prevents the pressurized air from escaping from your mouth. Thus your airway remains pressurized and can't collapse. That's the way the CPAP is supposed to work, except for the part about the tape.

ISN'T IT A GOOD THING THAT THE AIRWAY CAN'T COLLAPSE? THAT'S WHAT PUZZLES ME.

Taping your mouth closed is a dangerous thing to do. You could suffocate if there's a power failure or some other malfunction. You could also suffocate on your own vomit if you throw up.

NOT WORRIED ABOUT VOMIT , BUT POWER FAILURE COULD BE A PROBLEM.

Does your chin strap keep slipping off? They make more elaborate versions that have enough straps to prevent that from happening. If it doesn't work for you talk to your equipment provider about a full face mask or a hybrid mask. These masks cover your mouth and have an anti-asphyxiation valve for safety.

IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE EVEN IF IT DOESN'T MOVE, THE AIR ESCAPES THROUGH MY LIPS WITH MY MOUTH CLOSED. ALSO, I CAN'T SEEM TO GET A GOOD SEAL ON THE FULL FACE MASK.

HYBRID?

Phil
[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2013, 10:56 PM)pdeli Wrote: HYBRID?

A hybrid mask has two parts. Nasal pillows for your nostrils and a mask for your mouth.

If you must tape form a flap on each side by folding the tape back over on itself. That way if you wake up while suffocating you'll have a handle on each side for pulling the tape off.

You can also get a device at the home center that plugs into an electric outlet in your bedroom and sounds an alarm if the electricity goes out.

I have to say that you're a lot braver than me. I'm too scared to tape my mouth shut.

The other issue is that the chin strap will act as a training device that teaches your body to keep the air trapped behind your mouth. You can help this training process by tucking the tip of your tongue up against the roof of your mouth, behind your front teeth. Practice doing this while you're awake during the day.

I know this all sounds weird but the human body is capable of adapting to almost anything. CPAP therapy included.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,057 5 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 226 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.