Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Neat follow up with Doc and thanks to the Board
RE: Neat follow up with Doc and thanks to the Board
Ha Ha, well got a "new" card in the mail today and they are asking for my current one back. The doc office said they were going to call the equipment supplier. So I know there is data on there but will send it back and just start using the new one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Neat follow up with Doc and thanks to the Board
(06-20-2014, 07:49 AM)jaycee Wrote: I have one sleep lab I work with that always says they can't read the card. 90% of the time the data downloads fine for me.

Another possibility is if you did a download yourself before you took the card in to be read you might have inadvertently deleted the data from the card. I've not used the Sleepyhead and don't know if it does this (either automatically or whether it can be accidently done).

Macs are known make unauthorized data writes to the SD card in some cases. The brain dead S9 firmware barfs when it sees this.

WIndows 8 (8.1?) is known to do similar things in some cases. I think you can fix this by turning off "system restore" for the SD card in that version of Windows.

edit - To be clear, it's Mac OS and Windows itself that tampers with the SD card, not SleepyHead. Just putting the card into the PC and letting the operating system look at it makes changes to the card.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 04:24 PM)archangle Wrote: edit - To be clear, it's Mac OS and Windows itself that tampers with the SD card, not SleepyHead. Just putting the card into the PC and letting the operating system look at it makes changes to the card.

Yup, Windows 7 and Windows XP have both written hidden files to my SD card. They've never caused me any problems but a new sleep doc (a pulmonologist certified in sleep medicine and specializing in sleep apnea and CPAP therapy) was unable to read my card.

I never have and never will give up my SD card. They'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2014, 12:14 PM)Buckeyedog Wrote: I also went home and printed out the sleepyhead stats and brought it back to the office after the appt.

In the future you might want to also print out "official" stuff using ResScan for your ResMed machine (Encore for PRS1 users). It's more likely they'll be familiar with the format and hence lend it more credibility.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 05:12 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-19-2014, 12:14 PM)Buckeyedog Wrote: I also went home and printed out the sleepyhead stats and brought it back to the office after the appt.

In the future you might want to also print out "official" stuff using ResScan for your ResMed machine (Encore for PRS1 users). It's more likely they'll be familiar with the format and hence lend it more credibility.

Good idea. I just sent the auto e-mail to get the ResScan download. Hopefully I can do it ok. I always struggle with this stuff!!!

Thanks!

Well, scratch that!! Just reading through and there is no version for the Mac. Oh well. Good suggestion anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
But can't you make your Mac emulate Windows?
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 05:29 PM)Sleepster Wrote: But can't you make your Mac emulate Windows?

Ha Ha, you are asking someone who has absolutely no clue!!! Dont-know

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 05:31 PM)Buckeyedog Wrote:
(06-20-2014, 05:29 PM)Sleepster Wrote: But can't you make your Mac emulate Windows?

Haha, Buckeydog, I would answer exactly the same if I was asked that question, good one Smile
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 05:31 PM)Buckeyedog Wrote:

Assuming you have an Intel Mac there are three ways to run Windows programs on your Mac:

1) Install Windows as a dual boot. When you turn on the computer you have to choose which OS to run. This is inconvenient, because every time you want to run the ResScan software you have to reboot the computer, and then again after you finish using ResScan.

2) Install a virtual machine manager such as Parallels or Virtualbox. These are Mac programs that fool your MacOS into thinking that Windows is a program. You launch the virtual machine manager, and then install Windows as a guest OS. The MacOS is considered the host OS.

3) Both of the above require a valid copy of Windows. However, instead of this you could install Wineskin or Wine for Mac. Wine is a free open source project that allows you to run Windows programs on a Mac without Windows. Wine intercepts the system calls from the Windows application and translates them into Mac system calls. The disadvantage is that only about half of all Windows programs will run in Wine. And usually these apps are the most popular apps, so something like ResScan is a long shot. On the other hand it is free, so give it a try.

There is actually one other method: Go on Craigslist and find a used Windows computer where the seller will include the OS. I see used computers on Craigslist for as little as $100 quite often.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,339 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 499 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  New to Board. Need help interpreting OSCAR Travel2BFree 23 1,672 12-07-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,196 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 644 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Information [Mod Note] Do you want us to know when you die? [Apnea Board Postmortem Form] SuperSleeper 15 5,544 08-07-2023, 06:30 PM
  Questions about first follow up with Dr after starting cpap JulieK 2 601 06-29-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Rich66

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.