Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Transition from CPAP to APAP
Gross 
Transition from CPAP to APAP
Yes Hi, 
Ive been on CPAP for five years. Just switched to APAP yesterday and had a horrible night. I "think" because the pressure wasn't high enough, I kept waking up. Can anyone tell me what should know about transitioning? I googled it but didn't get any answers. Luckily I found this forum. 

Thanks for any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Transition from CPAP to APAP
Marsinah,
What pressure were you using with your CPAP, and what was the average AHI you were seeing?

I see you have a pressure range set on your auto machine of 5-15.  A minimum pressure of 5 is pretty low and can make you feel starved for air and could account for your
"horrible night."

If you could give us a little more information, including what your 90% pressure is, we can advise on a more optimal pressure range for you.

Download #SleepyHead software, and you will be able to see the information we will need to help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Use your CPAP pressure, subtract 2-cm and set that a your minimum. Maximum pressure is less important, but you can bracket your old CPAP pressure, then observe if you need to fine-tune. Download the free #SleepyHead program so you can monitor your progress, and see what kind of events are occurring. Finally, your new machine has an exhale pressure relief feature (EPR) that is capable of reducing exhale pressure by up to 3 cm. If you are using the maximum EPR then that might be too much if you're not accustomed to it. What brand model was your CPAP?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Marsinah - Welcome
Your starting pressure looks a little low and may make you feel like you're being starved for air. You may wish to bump it up to 7ish and see how you feel. Two things I recommend are; 1 - Get the Clinician's Manual for your machine, and 2 - Download #SleepyHead to analyze your sleep data.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Marsinah,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with your transition to your new APAP machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 489 Yesterday, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 375 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,363 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New APAP machine Robert Detz 0 83 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Detz
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,108 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 547 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 192 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.