Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Transitioning from nasal mask to FF
Transitioning from nasal mask to FF
I'm not unhappy with my nasal mask, but sometimes I awaken and my mouth is so dry that it feels like sandpaper. I think this is due to my jaw dropping open and the CPAP air exiting through my mouth. I tried a chin strap, but I couldn't adapt to it. I'm wondering whether it makes sense to try a FF mask and whether I can tolerate the change. Has anyone successfully made the transition?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Transitioning from nasal mask to FF
If nasal therapy works, then nasal pillows are the best. If you do not have a natural ability to cut off the pressure from CPAP from entering your mouth, I don't care how much tape or chin strap you use, it's going to suck. A FFM equalized the pressures between the nasal and oral openings and may be your best solution. Best of luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jim Bronson I'm in the exact situation and am going to get a FFM next payday. And aggravating factor for me is enlarged thyroid and I sleep with a small pillow under my neck to lift my chin and open my throat as much as possible. Yet this increases the likelihood of my jaw dropping. I look forward to your report should you go to a FFM.
Jim Bronson I'm in the exact situation and am going to get a FFM next payday. And aggravating factor for me is enlarged thyroid and I sleep with a small pillow under my neck to lift my chin and open my throat as much as possible. Yet this increases the likelihood of my jaw dropping. I look forward to your report should you go to a FFM.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with a half mask and was waking with a dry mouth , I've always been a mouth breather and couldn't train myself to breathe thru my nose. So I switched to a full face and am having much more success. Although I want to try a different model face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2015, 07:38 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I'm not unhappy with my nasal mask, but sometimes I awaken and my mouth is so dry that it feels like sandpaper. I think this is due to my jaw dropping open and the CPAP air exiting through my mouth. I tried a chin strap, but I couldn't adapt to it. I'm wondering whether it makes sense to try a FF mask and whether I can tolerate the change. Has anyone successfully made the transition?

As an FYI, I have woken up with a dry mouth several time but according to sleepyhead, my leak level was excellent. I assume you have checked the software to verify your leak level?

Not trying to talk you out of switching to a full face mask but just making sure you are covering all bases. Good luck whatever you decided to do.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with a nasal mask and then transitioned to a full face mask which is a lot better for me. I haven't had any issues adjusting to it and the transition was straight forward. You may want to check your machine settings in the event it asks for the type of mask.

Personally, I don't have issue with the FFM, but then I flew airplanes for Uncle Sam and had to wear an oxygen mask from time to time. This is just like it, but more comfortable.

Homer

Post Reply Post Reply
I switched from a nasal mask to a MIrage Quattro full face mask for basically the same reasons that Mark is considering the change. I had no real difficulty other than getting the FFM fitted properly and getting through to the point where the headgear quit stretching and taking a set. It took a little while and a fair amount of fiddling with the fit but once everything settled down, I just put on the mask, start my machine, and lay down to sleep. They may have solved the headgear stretching with the newer FFMs.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been trying to switch from a Full Face mask to a Nasal Pillow but I can not because of the above reasons. I have tried 6 different full face masks over 1.5 years and at least for me the Airfit F10 has been the best of all. The Mirage Quattro is my second favorite.
Brad
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transitioning from ResMed to Lowenstein Prisma 20A SakimaStorm 2 111 03-27-2024, 02:38 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 100 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 342 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 487 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.