Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Transoral Robotic Sleep Apnea Surgery(TORS)
Transoral Robotic Sleep Apnea Surgery(TORS)
My dentist recently did a CT scan of my head. My main issue is my narrow throat and large tongue blocking my airway at night. I was reading about the TORS procedure and wondering if it would be for me. It is offered in my area by several ENT doctors. Has anyone had this surgery? What are the pros/cons and success rate?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Transoral Robotic Sleep Apnea Surgery(TORS)
(02-19-2018, 10:48 AM)MyronH Wrote: My dentist recently did a CT scan of my head. My main issue is my narrow throat and large tongue blocking my airway at night. I was reading about the TORS procedure and wondering if it would be for me. It is offered in my area by several ENT doctors. Has anyone had this surgery? What are the pros/cons and success rate?

I have not had this specific version of surgery, BUT, 20 years ago I had traditional turbinate reduction, septoplasty, and UPPP surgery. It did NOT eliminate my need for cpap therapy, BUT, they all did make it so I could tolerate cpap therapy.

I don't have so many OSA's anymore, but I do continue to have Hypopnea's, and I have Flow Limitations that affect me adversely.

Now, surgeries have advanced quite a bit in 20 years, HOWEVER, if you decide to have that surgery, set your expectations in a way that you'd be happy if it allows you to reduce pressures, or just tolerate cpap therapy better. Do NOT go into it expecting that it's guaranteed to CURE you. It may, but I'd say that's a doubtful prognosis.

Good luck. If you do decide to have it, PLEASE come back and let us know all about it!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've read too many times over the years about unsuccessful surgeries with resulting cpap pressures being even higher after surgery. I would not recommend anybody to try it. You have the best cpap ever made. make the most of it and save your pain and money.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I know of a few successes but a lot more failures, so the choice would still be with you and I would be very reluctant to advise you one way or the other.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 277 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 192 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,818 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,160 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,259 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.