Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trauma (PTSD) and Sleep Disorders
RE: Trauma (PTSD) and Sleep Disorders
(01-30-2018, 09:29 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: SleepRider, I'm thinking the glottal stop would flatten out the top of the inhale wave form every breath, but maybe you're right. Yes, I do have apneas on inhale. I also get strings of shallow wave forms with flat tops. I have mini-breath stoppages all over the place on inhale (never exhale).

Keep in mind that inspiration rises from zero to a peak flow, then descends past zero to exhale flow.  Above the line is inhale, below the line is exhale.  If you take a breath and hold it at the peak inhale flow, the flow line drops vertically to zero and stays there until you exhale.  You cannot keep the inspiration line at the peak unless you are some kind of vacuum cleaner or didgeridoo player.  Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepRider, I was thinking of this stuff. This would be a dead stop at the max inhale. [I haven't forgotten that inhale is above the line and exhale below.]

[Image: iLxEO5Gl.png]

Later edit out a bunch of paragraphs: While in my creative idea box (aka shower), I figured out what those flat tops are. I am inhaling at the same rate for several seconds. {I'm not inhaling a whole lot of air, but that's besides the point here.} Then I dive into an exhale.

A glottal stop would come to a sharp point at the max of inhale and suddenly drop. But an exhale can't happen because the vocal cords have contracted. This would create an apnea (or more often with me, in all likelihood, a quickie mini apnea) where you'd expect exhale to begin.

A mini apnea could very easily be caused by a glottal stop. It's momentary. More obvious breath holding would create more of an apnea (>10 seconds).

-----------

The APAP isn't coping with this flow limit at all. Maybe because splinting the airway with pressure can make headway with flappy throat parts (OSA), but not with vocal chords tensed by a glottal stop (catathrenia)? No idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
What you have displayed in your graph is classic flow limitation, a steady inhale rate or gradually decreasing inhale flow rate approaching zero before the exhale. None of those breaths ever reaches the flow rate typical of a healthy individual. The hypopnea is flagged on a recovery breath following an incomplete inhale. If you were using ASV, each of those flow-limited breaths would have been accompanied by an increasingly large pressure support to cause a complete breath, and the hypopnea would have hopefully been avoided.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I see that, SleepRider: those are flow-limited breaths. And they're not flow-limited from a glottal stop (there's just not a whole lot of air getting inhaled for a few seconds). I am learning....

That pattern is only one of about 10 varieties of whackadoodle wave form types I have.

Thanks for the gesture forward! This process is going to take quite a while longer.

----------

Ooooo la la. There's a new Resmed ASV online for just over $2000. 2 year warranty (I'd want to check if it's a Resmed warranty).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  What's the latest on the connection between PTSD and OSA/UARS? TryingToGetItRight 0 408 10-08-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.