Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travel Auto CPAP
Travel Auto CPAP
Before I pull the trigger on a fairly expensive unit, just wanted to make sure I'm not screwing up things.
My current unit is a Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP with humidifier, heated hose and modem.
Have NO issue with it or my DreamWear Gel mask. Other than I would prefer to not wear it. 
Of course, like a personal trainer, I love the results. Therefore, I endure the inconvenience and discomfort.

To date, I've been dragging everything around ... two homes, beach, work travel, vacations, etc.
It's wearing me out ... disconnecting, packing, carrying CPAP with luggage and laptop and reconnecting.
Another CPAP would at least allow me to move between homes without doing anything at all.

My thoughts are to purchase a Respironics DreamStation Go Auto CPAP, not inexpensive by any means.
This would give me a unit for my second home AND a fully portable travel unit at the same time.
I would in turn be giving up a humidifier ... but I've tested that theory and seem to be just fine without.
This is probably due to living in Florida where all air is highly saturated with H2O anyway.

Am I missing anything critical? Any reason NOT to purchase the DreamStation GO?
And, of course, I'll buy a second DreamWear Gel mask to keep things uniform to allow comfort continuity.
Thanks in advance for any/all opinions, suggestions, etc.

P.S. If anyone knows of a coupon, sale, etc. please let me know ... they don't seem to be donating them.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Travel Auto CPAP
Hi Tampa Jim,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question, good luck as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Jim,

You are in a very similar situation to myself, I have read a lot on the Dreamstation Go and it seems to get good reviews (you can find one in the review section). I have been looking into the Resmed and the dreamstation and even though I use resmed at the moment, for a travel unit I think I would purchase the Go, it seems to be slightly more thought out buts that's only my limited opinion. The humidifier is being looked at by Philips so this will tick another box for you when it does come.

If you do take the plunge let us know what you think.

Best,
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Jim,

Now that you have created this thread, have a look below the last post on the page to see links to other threads in a similar vein to the topic you have posted here... you may find some useful information in those threads as well.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing about the GO unit - as a travel unit it currently has one big deficiency. It cannot be connected to outside DC (battery) current source such as a car's cigar lighter plug or other battery. Maybe at some point they will introduce a power cable to fit the unit's power input connection (which looks pretty danged proprietary).

Only designed to work with the 'spensive Respironics battery unit. Don't know if they just forgot? Or if they have gone down a dark path. In any case, if travel plans involve camping or if you are taking into consideration the ability to use batteries in case of power failure, you options with the GO are very limited.

I consider that to be a fatal flaw in the unit's design. (Also one of the biggest reasons I wouldn't consider ResMed a serious option if I were getting a new primary unit.)

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2017, 04:40 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: One thing about the GO unit - as a travel unit it currently has one big deficiency.  It cannot be connected to outside DC (battery) current source such as a car's cigar lighter plug or other battery.  Maybe at some point they will introduce a power cable to fit the unit's power input connection (which looks pretty danged proprietary).  

Only designed to work with the 'spensive Respironics battery unit.  Don't know if they just forgot?  Or if they have gone down a dark path.  In any case, if travel plans involve camping or if you are taking into consideration the ability to use batteries in case of power failure, you options with the GO are very limited.

I consider that to be a fatal flaw in the unit's design.  (Also one of the biggest reasons I wouldn't consider ResMed a serious option if I were getting a new primary unit.)

OMMOHY

Crazy though it may seem ... the Respironics battery is appealing to me. Perfect size, fit, look, etc. Can even purchase the larger GO case and it fits with it. And I'm actually an avid hiker who misses being able to overnight easily. At only 1.5 pounds, it's very portable and fits right into my backpack. If I were camping at a fixed site, the Yeti Goal Zero allows full operation of the GO unit and even recharge of the battery. One thing for sure, I find the integrated power converter of the GO to be a brilliant move. The 'brick' is my least favorite part of my current DreamStation Auto CPAP, even more than the overall size of the unit. 

While the price of the GO isn't a giveaway, it won't kill me. Just wanting to make sure I'm not overlooking some key functionality, flaw in the design, etc. And, of course, I'll make sure to order the APAP version at $50 additional cost. Definitely want to match the settings on my current standard unit to allow as much continuity as possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you decide to buy, it doesn't hurt to touch base personally with the seller. They are constrained by manufacturer imposed minimum advertised price, and sometimes will offer a deal over the phone, you won't see online. No promises, but worth checking.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2017, 09:18 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: When you decide to buy, it doesn't hurt to touch base personally with the seller.  They are constrained by manufacturer imposed minimum advertised price, and sometimes will offer a deal over the phone, you won't see online.  No promises, but worth checking.

Just figured out that little factoid. Managed to get a nice quote over the phone. Still not donating them, standard DreamStation WAY less. But it's palatable and it gives me a second unit and much better portability. Thanks for posting.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,678 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,736 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,287 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 459 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.