Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travel CPAP that will run on 12V - 2016 update? ;-)
Travel CPAP that will run on 12V - 2016 update? ;-)

There are several old threads here on the "best" travel machines but nothing very recent, so I thought I'd kick one off.

My home machine is an Resemed s9 Autosense.
It's actually pretty compact when i don't take the humidifier and just use an HME, but the power brick is large and heavy and the s9 requires 24V.
If I'm camping and staying in hotels (pretty typical for me) I have to LUG two bricks around ... the 120V brick and the 12V --> 24V brick ... :-(

Sooooooooooo..............
What's available that might run on both 12V and 120V with either a small brick or none at all?

Thanks!
Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Travel CPAP that will run on 12V - 2016 update? ;-)
HDM Z1 and Z1 Auto will run on 12v with just a cigarette lighter plug or 120v with a small, lightweight brick. HDM also sells their own version of a battery pack named the Power Shell. The Z1 family actually runs off 14.4v if you use their battery pack or 120v. I use it off 12v and cigarette lighter plug for camping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Bill!

I'll put that one on my short list, I had signed up to be a beta tester of that unit before it hit the market, but was not "selected to participate" ;-/
I'd like so see one as some people seem to object to the noise level - has that been an issue for you?

I stumbled of the Apex Medical line of units... which seem small / lightweight and don't use external brick running on 120/220 ...
So that with a small inverter might work....
ANYONE have experience with the Apex line?

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 08:15 AM)NCZzzz Wrote: Thanks Bill!

I'll put that one on my short list, I had signed up to be a beta tester of that unit before it hit the market, but was not "selected to participate" ;-/
I'd like so see one as some people seem to object to the noise level - has that been an issue for you?

The Z1 is noisy, not motor noise but the noise of rapidly moving air. The noise never bothered me but it does bother others. HDM now sells a Q-Tube muffler which is small and works very well at reducing the noise.

I think the noise is likely more of an issue for a sleeping partner than the user but that's just my opinion. In any event it has been my experience that the Q-Tube solves the problem.

Right now HDM has a 30 day money back deal going on where you can return everything in your initial purchase within 30 days for a full refund...I don't know of anyone else who does that. Check to insure that program is still available before you buy.

If you're interested in the Z1 or Z1 Auto I'd suggest buying one, including the plug for the cigarette lighter and the Q-Tube (so that all can be returned) and try it out for at least a week or two. I also suggest that you use a full size hose as that makes less noise than the tiny one they provide with the unit.

My bigger concern with folks who try out the Z1 or Transcend is that the air "feels" different than the bigger units and one needs to get used to it. You really need to sleep with it to get used to it. I use mine every week for biz travel and can go between it and my PRS1 with ease. If you only use it for a night or two and decide you don't like it then I think you are doing yourself a disservice, give it at least a week.

All that said I would not be without mine, I love it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 08:15 AM)NCZzzz Wrote: I stumbled of the Apex Medical line of units... which seem small / lightweight and don't use external brick running on 120/220 ...
So that with a small inverter might work....
ANYONE have experience with the Apex line?
No experience with Apex but for 12v use I think you are way better off with a machine that natively runs off DC. JMHO.

By the way the Transcend is another small machine option as well.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Bill!

I agree - would much rather have one that runs on 12V natively!

Went looking at the trancend today and also noticed the IntelliPAP

glad there are options ... now I only have to sort....... ;-/
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm travelling with a ResMed Airsense 10 and the ResMed Powerstation II at the moment. I think it works with an S9, so might save you getting a new machine at all.
I only need the single/usual AC to DC converter. I got 4.5 hours APAP (no humidifier) out of it when flying and used about 1/2 the battery, so it should last a full night. It recharges in a few hours. Expensive suckers though, but seems to be the one CPAP thing that is cheaper to buy in Australia than USA
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2016, 10:54 AM)Carbon Wrote: I'm travelling with a ResMed Airsense 10 and the ResMed Powerstation II at the moment. I think it works with an S9, so might save you getting a new machine at all.
I only need the single/usual AC to DC converter. I got 4.5 hours APAP (no humidifier) out of it when flying and used about 1/2 the battery, so it should last a full night. It recharges in a few hours. Expensive suckers though, but seems to be the one CPAP thing that is cheaper to buy in Australia than USA

thanks Carbon!
I was not familar with the ResMed Powerstation II ....
Wow ... price seems to be about $600 here in America ... and you still have to carry the " brick" to charge the battery :-(

I wonder what compelling reason Resmed Engineers had for designing their units to run on 24V rather that 12v .... Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 08:29 AM)bill-e Wrote: [quote='NCZzzz' pid='160983' dateline='1462626951']

Right now HDM has a 30 day money back deal going on where you can return everything in your initial purchase within 30 days for a full refund...I don't know of anyone else who does that. Check to insure that program is still available before you buy.

It's a 15-day period now, and here are the conditions:

For a limited time HDM store [DME link removed] is offering a risk free 15-day trial of its Z1® CPAP and Z1 Auto® CPAP. The terms of the offer are as follows:
  • The products included are the HD60-1005 Z1 CPAP Base System, HD60-1010 Z1 Unplugged System, HD60-1007 Z1 Auto CPAP Base System and HD60-1017 Z1 Auto Unplugged System plus any accessories included in the initial purchase.
  • The 15-day trial period starts at the shipment date to the end user. From the shipment date the purchaser has 15 days to contact HDM USA to return the products.
  • The purchaser is responsible for the return shipping costs to HDM.
    The purchaser must contact HDM for a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) to coordinate the return.
  • The purchaser must indicate the reason for the return during the RMA request.
    All returns must be in the original packing in like-new and working condition with no physical damage.
  • All returns must be received at HDM within 10 days from the issue of an RMA.
    When the above requirements are met, HDM will issue a credit to the credit card on file for the price of the items purchased.
  • HDM will not issue a credit to the purchaser if products are returned defective, damaged or in anything other than original packaging.
  • The Z1 15-day trial offer is available to U.S. customers only.

So that doesn't seem very useful for a trip. Does anyone know of a rental program for the travel-sized CPAPs?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites that do not sell CPAP machines in an online store. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

Post Reply Post Reply
Two units come to mind. They are not the new whiz-bang, wonder micro units. I tried the HDM Z-1 and didn't like it. Some folks think they are the bee knees. Whatever bees knees are.

The two I am thinking of are of course bigger than the coke can sized units and they are not the most "current" but they are relatively small, run on 12v, and do NOT require external power bricks. Both are proven durable machines that are tough as can be. Both can still be found in factory sealed boxes from at least one of our top two numbered suppliers - at really reasonable prices.

The Resmed S8 Autoset II and the DeVillbiss Intellipap Auto. That is if you need CPAP or Auto PAP therapy.

Personally for travel, I got rid of my Z1 and got a factory new S8 Autoset II. Never happier with a decision.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,671 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 669 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 361 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,286 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 271 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 456 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.