Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travel/Environmental Causes of CA events
Question 
Travel/Environmental Causes of CA events
Hey all- I am curious if anyone has had an experience similar to mine, lower AHI when sleeping in different environments/traveling.

I have been using CPAP for the last 2+ months. AHI has averaged 1-4, always predominately clear airway events, using Resmed A10 Auto. I currently live in southern CA, and when traveling this past month 3 times (Vegas, Vegas, Baltimore), each time my AHI was significantly lower while away (AHI <1) and higher when I got back home. (AHI 8.5 last night, nearly all CA events).

Trying to discern what factors are at play here as machine settings have stayed the same. I've been starting to wonder/test if its sleep pillow related, pet/dust related, ambient humidity/AC related (AC on two trips, heater in chilly weather the other). Slept with the window open last night at home for the first time in awhile and had a lot of CA events.

I wash my mask with a brush often to make sure it is venting. Leak rate and mask fit is usually pretty good. In my lab split study I had no centrals on short diagnostic portion and a few (7) centrals scored during entire titration. Given Rx pressure of 10 but caused a lot of CA events at home and through trial/error found fixed 6.2 EPR 1 was giving me the best AHI.

About to go buy a standing Hepa filter and see if that helps at all... I want that good sleep! Anyone else experience this? Make changes to your environment with positive effect on AHI? Or experience getting to the bottom of pressure induced CA events?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Travel/Environmental Causes of CA events
If your AHI is lower than 5, those CA events are not *really* to be concerned about. They are probably pressure induced. With you only using it for 2 mos, it will take time for them to settle down. Almost always they go away with time.

As for travel, there is no way to tell what made the difference. There is so much that goes into a night's worth of sleep. There are far too many variables to take into consideration. Take a look at your data, not the environment. What is different? What increased or decreased? Pressure go up or stay the same? (or is your Autoset set to one pressure?) How about leak rates?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Travel/Environmental Causes of CA events
Hi trevvahhh,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 52 10 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Travel ResMed recommendations PinehillJoe 11 224 10 hours ago
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,350 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 90 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 197 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 221 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Excessive Events jerrydaw 1 115 04-06-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.