Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travel Tips for me?
Question 
Travel Tips for me?
I'm going to a hotel for a few days. I'm new to the CPAP, started using in March. I have the Philips Respironics DreamStation and just wondering if I should have any concerns traveling with it.

Is the carrier that came with the DreamStation adequate with enough padding all around?

Do you think I should put this in my large luggage bag with the clothes?

If so, do you think it will be okay with other handling it?

The internal water reservoir should I take that and put it in a gallon zip lock bag?

I know I might come across over thinking this but I'm sure some of you have had some things happen and if I can mitigate based off your personal experiences then bonus Smile  Please share any tips.

Thanks in advance,

want2catchsomez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Travel Tips for me?
Keep it in its travel bag and do a carry on.  Medical devices do not count against any luggage restrictions in the U.S. Your humidifier tank should be empty and dry.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to put everything in a zip bag, main unit, humidifier, cables each in their own zip bags, then put that inside the carry bag and put the carry bag in another zip bag. Dunno about you, but I don't want anyones germs or whatnot getting on a device that's supposed to be hygienic.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2020, 12:03 PM)ardenum Wrote: I used to put everything in a zip bag, main unit, humidifier, cables each in their own zip bags, then put that inside the carry bag and put the carry bag in another zip bag. Dunno about you, but I don't want anyones germs or whatnot getting on a device that's supposed to be hygienic.

Love it... great tips so far!
Post Reply Post Reply
When you travel, you can use tap water in the humidifier. The only reason for using distilled water is to avoid build-up of precipitates on the heating element. You can accomplish that by giving the chamber a good drying after you empty it when you're on the road.

You absolutely want to take the machine on board as a carry-on. Most flight attendants are completely familiar with them and will help you find a good spot to stow the machine travel case if there isn't room in your overhead bin. You can just say, "This is expensive medical equipment. Can you help me find a safe place to stash it?"

When you're at the airport, if you keep your eyes peeled, you'll see a lot of PAP travel cases being carried around by other passengers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Carry it as carry-on in the PAP bag; empty and dry for the humidifier tub. Very much as several others have said.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt you'll need anything more than what you bring with you except for water from the closest tap.  If it is potable water, it's completely safe to use in your machine.  Motels/hotels tend to have enough power sockets close to the bed, so you won't even need an extension cord.

As the others have said, packaging for your safety and comfort will help to allay any anxiety you face, and you must absolutely count it among your 'carry on' items.  Your machine won't do you any good overnighting in a customer service booth in an airport that happens to be six flight hours distant from your hotel.  Annoyed-and-disappointed

The water reservoir should be emptied, patted dry with a clean lintless rag or paper towel, and carried where the case designers intended, beside the main appliance.  The case can be hand-carried separately, or inserted into one of your larger carryon items, which is probably the most convenient...except it takes up room that you may need for other things.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't worry when I'm staying in unserviced accommodation, but if I'm using hotels/motels that are cleaned each day I always put the machine away every morning. This is probably unnecessary, but I don't want to run the risk of a inquisitive housekeeper messing with the machine and inadvertently changing or messing up settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
At the airport you will see lots of others with the grey ResMed bag or yours.  There is a secret headnod between fellow users. Too-funny

On the serious side, I am always asked by security to remove my machine from the bag.  So I make sure my machine is wrapped in Saran wrap or a zip lock so it doesn't touch the dirty trays they give out.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like most points are covered.

Unless you can live without your CPAP for several nights (?), I'd put it in a carry on bag and keep an eye on it. I've never had an overhead bag stolen, but it is possible. I usually put it in a backpack that goes under the seat in front of you. I've been separated from my checked bag countless times. I wouldn't go there.

I'd keep an eye out for a used CPAP (craigslist/facebook marketplace) so you have a backup system, so you have something when you get home in case your machine does go missing.

Lastly, you didn't say where you are travel as electricity can be a concern. I usually have a battery backup system that I travel with as some countries that I visit have rolling blackouts at night and/or they do maintenance as they aren't trained up to work 'hot' like in the states. Even in the states my backup system has been useful on a number of occasions over the last 10 years.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,336 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,671 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 669 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,274 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 304 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,286 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.