Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travel and electrical requirements
Travel and electrical requirements
Anyone have any experience traveling from the US to Curacao regarding the electrical requirements for the CPAP machines? I was just planning on getting an adaptor but just read the AirBNB hosts notes - "Please do not plug any ventilators or hair driers with a US plug into a European outlet, or vice versa, also not with an adapter. Ventilators and hair dryers are not suitable for other voltages, and using them with the wrong voltage may cause a fire."
I think they even have some "American" outlets but it sounds like the voltage is quite different.
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Travel and electrical requirements
The DreamStation power supply supports 110-240 volts, so that warning doesn't generally apply. Look at the label on the power supply to confirm.

You'll want to get a US to European plug adapter. There are many choices at travel stores and Amazon.

The one thing that you will want to be careful about is not to plug the DreamStation into a "razor" outlet that's typically found in a bathroom. Those don't have the wattage needed to run the CPAP or a hairdryer. If you're in a room where all of the outlets are European aside from one, that's when you want to be VERY cautious about plugging the CPAP into the US outlet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Curaçao has a 127v/220v at 50 Hz electrical system using type A (American style 2-prong), B (American style 3-prong), and F plugs (a good part of Europe uses the Schuko plug).

I’ve been there a few times (before I was on CPAP) and just used a plug adapter, not a power converter. Just make sure the power brick on your CPAP says “Input: 100v-240v, 50/60 Hz” or something similar and use a good plug adapter, but if concerned you can pick up a power conditioner on Amazon with multiple plugs.
Simplicity is simple, complexity is complex. Don’t confuse the two.
Post Reply Post Reply
So don't use any of the US style outlets? Just get a adaptor and plug into the European style outlet?
I did look at the units power supply and confirmed that it would handle the voltage. Just seemed odd that the owner said not to use one as it would start a fire.
Thanks for the insight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2021, 09:17 AM)veloracer Wrote: So don't use any of the US style outlets? Just get a adaptor and plug into the European style outlet?
I did look at the units power supply and confirmed that it would handle the voltage. Just seemed odd that the owner said not to use one as it would start a fire.
Thanks for the insight.

Well, first & foremost, I'd follow the owner's instructions (or at least seek to understand his concern and see if it applies). It could just be that the owner doesn't know anything about CPAPs.

However, the DreamStation's power requirements are something like 80 watts -- basically a light bulb, so it's not in the same category as a hair dryer. 

If all of the outlets are US style, I wouldn't expect the DreamStation to be able to cause a fire, especially if heat & humidity are off.

If it's a single US outlet, with a bunch of European outlets, I'd use a European outlet with an adapter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry about the confusion that has cropped up in this thread.  Curacao uses standard US-type outlets with 2 prongs. It may be that the place you are staying has a few European "convenience" outlets provided for their European guests (or maybe the owner!). The caution was for you not to plug your unit into one of these European-type outlets in that rental property in Curacao -- use the normal US outlets.

The advice upthread by others is to be careful when using a US "convenience" outlet when at a property in Europe.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are three issues:
1. Voltage. We use 120 volts. Europe and Asia uses 220 or 240 volts. Other areas will use US or European standards. If necessary, a transformer can be used to convert.
2. Frequency. The US uses 60 cycles per second (Hz). Europe uses 50. This is not easy to convert.
3. Plug configuration. Many foreign plugs look different. A simple adapter can compensate.

Every CPAP machine that I have seen uses a switching power supply that can accept a wide range of voltages and frequencies. Read the label. My Resmed S10 says 100-240 volts, 50-400 Hz. If I leave the US, I will take the simple adapter. I will also use it for my laptop. You can get a set that adapts to several standards.

The caution about simple adapters is because many devices will be destroyed if you plug them into 240 volts. Some devices will run at the wrong speed if plugged into 50 Hz. Read the label. The caution about ventilators is due to liability. They don't think you should bet your life on their power reliability.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2021, 09:17 AM)veloracer Wrote: Just get a adaptor and plug into the European style outlet?

Either an adapter or the cable that connects the wall outlet to the power brick on your CPAP machine. It's the same thing you'd do to plug in a laptop computer.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,672 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 670 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,286 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 457 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  trialing masks - pressure requirements, What's happening? Wondering2 14 826 11-15-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Wondering2
  Travel ASV morningstar 5 776 10-26-2023, 10:22 PM
Last Post: morningstar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.