Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travel cpap machines
Travel cpap machines
I currently use a S9 auto set with h5i humidifier as my travel machine. I would like to upgrade to a more compact machine. Any recommendations? 
My home base machine is a Resmed S10, so this is preferred brand, but size & performance also important. Any info from users would be appreciated.
Also the humidifier on my S9 no longer heats, are there service manuals & parts lists available?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Travel cpap machines
I will give a positive recommendation of the Resmed Mini miniature travel machine. It is very small and it works well, functionally it seem to be the equivalent of the S9, except for not having a humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the portable Resmed, not having a humidifier is a big deal breaker. I would rather carry the bag with the AirSense 10 for hotel usage. I don't see the point of using on the airplane if I'm in economy class. If I was a sprawled out in first class, probably worth using the CPAP. Usage in flight for one day isn't really important to me. It's short enough not to make much of a difference for me.

If the climate has good ambient humidity, I guess the portable Resmed would work, but in dry climates, I require the humidifier. It will cause sinus issues and block the nasal air passageway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

Thanks, I might just go for another airsense 10
Post Reply Post Reply
I use my Resmed S10 when I travel, which is not often. There was an incident when my luggage was mishandled and the humidifier chamber was cracked. I taped over the crack inside and outside and that worked until I got a replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply
The AirMini does have the Humidx humidification, which seems sufficient for me. The refills ain't cheap and only are good for 30 days, which is kind of wasteful to use one for a short weekend trip.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my experience, the Humidix is not effective, I didn't find a significant effect when I used it. For me, the Mini is effectively a CPAP without humidification.

The Mini is a very nice, very small machine, the best I've seen in such a small form factor. With a two day endurance LiPo battery, it is easily backpack-able, and pack-able without an additional travel bag. IMO it is very useful when there is no alternative to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the S9 humidifier part in the first post, the whole humidifier unit can be replaced.  Full retail looks to be $150-ish.   On Google, I see a liquidator supplier who has it for $90.   I have an S9 as a spare and at one point, my DME sent me a spare humidifier.  

I did weekly road warrior for years with an A10 in the bottom of my roll-aboard.   I’ve also used it on business class flights to Asia a few times where there was 110v at the seat. I have the 12v power supply and an AGM scooter battery for power outages, the boat, etc.  

The rubber pieces on the bottom of my A10 are flopping around loose from all the travel but the thing is still chugging along after 5 1/2 years. The power brick flaked out once on a Korea trip but that’s the only issue I’ve had with it.  On trips where I don’t have a roll aboard, I use a backpack to bring it on the plane with me.  I won’t ever check it as luggage. 

I haven’t done the side-by-side with the new A11 yet to see if it’s smaller.  I also want to know if my 12v power brick for the A10 is compatible with it.  It would be annoying to have S9, A10, and A11 12v power bricks that all cost big money.   I have a place at a Colorado ski resort.  I can’t imagine life without a real humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually travel with my full size machine in its own bag as an extra carry on for free in the uk and Europe it goes by my feet rather than the overhead
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2021, 04:05 PM)RNeil Wrote: I use my Resmed S10 when I travel, which is not often. There was an incident when my luggage was mishandled and the humidifier chamber was cracked. I taped over the crack inside and outside and that worked until I got a replacement.

Should be carry on luggage.  Never pack or check you medical device in your luggage.  It has full clearance through security.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,743 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,288 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 675 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 459 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.