Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travel size/compromises worth it? (business, not outdoorsmen)
RE: Travel size/compromises worth it? (business, not outdoorsmen)
(01-29-2016, 10:47 PM)DanPrado Wrote: Wow, really appreciate the replies, very good insight, thank you!

I am leaning towards either buying another PRS1 or maybe a Dreamstation to make my primary and keep the existing PRS1 as the backup.

Sounds like I'll just need to invest in a great carry-on bag and get used to keeping it with me. Not worth saving a couple of inches or ounces.

While I may be able to do well without a humidifier in my home (Florida) hard to tell what other climates and seasons would do, so I won't risk going without one.

I travel with my prs1 auto with Humidifier. I use a camera backpack to carry all my Cpap gear. It always qualifies as a free carry on bag. I suggest you look into Amazon basics camera backpack. It will fit the prs1 with humidifier. I use a case logic slrc-206 which I found on sale for $44 once.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the standard case for the PRS1. It fits over the handle of a rolling carry-on along with a laptop, and makes a very compact piece of luggage.

I ride a motorcycle, and on trips carry the PRS1 and humidifier in a side-case. Plenty of room left-over for other things. This is on a cross-country trip a couple years ago fully loaded.

[Image: dragon.jpg]

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I travel 35-45 weeks a year and been using a Z1 since they came out. I'm currently using the Z1 Auto, HME's and Q-Tube. Since I only carry-on I did not like wrestling with three bage. The Z1 Auto fits in my backpack.

I use a PRS1 at home with Heated Humidifier and with the exception of the heated humidity being better when I'm congested, I find my Z1 Auto, Q-Tube and HME to be just as comfortable as my bedside unit.

I have lots of experience with the Z1 line, ask away here or PM me.

I carry my life in my bags and they are chock full and heavy, there is no way I'd ever travel with a full size machine again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that you guys mention camera bags and even just taking the manufacturer's one makes me realize I am probably overthinking this.

I am not worried about fees, really just about protecting the unit AND my own version of travel OCD where the assumption is that there is no overhead space and whatever I carry has to live by my legs (and I am not short). Usually never materializes but still. And in 2015 alone there were at least 8 cumulative days of my bag missing overseas.

Bill-e: I'm new-ish and have not yet figured out what HME really is other than an option to a humidifier - no doubt that is a major bit. So what climates does your travel involve? What is your normal PRS1 humidifier setting? If a Z1 without humidifier is livable then that would be very good for me, particularly on the overnighters with a change of clothes but no luggage check.

Post Reply Post Reply
Dan, I only ever check a bag when I'm going overseas and I have to bring a suit....without suits I can get 7+ days in my carryon and backpack. My batting average when I check is about .500 so I never check domestically

An HME is a Heat Moisture Exchanger. They have been used for years on folks who have a breathing tube in their throat. What it does is collect the moisture from your exhale in order to humidify the air as it enters your mask. The work adequately and certainly better than nothing. I've used the HME's all over the east and west coasts year round so the humidity levels are varied. At home, depending on the weather and how congested I am I run the PRS1 anywhere above 3,

Link removed - please Google "Direct Home Medical". This is the cheapest place to get them.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Transcend machine, and I really don't like it. I'm fine with no humidifier and no heated hose, but the Transcend is too loud for me, and I've been carrying my ResMed Airsense 10 on most trips despite its extra bulk. I just bought a ResMed S9 to use as my travel machine. (Supplier #14 has the "for her" model for $379.05 after coupon "5PERCENT".)

I have not had any TSA problems. When the machine has been inside my normal carry-on, some screeners have wanted it to be pulled out into its own bin. Very, very rarely someone has wanted to inspect it. Screeners in Germany definitely wanted to inspect it, including swabbing the machine, but that's the only screening that stood out. Airlines have been good at not balking at the third carry-on bag, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to squeeze the S9 sans humidifier into my normal carry-on going forward.

I imagine I'll still carry a humidifier when going to someplace particularly dry, but only if the trip is for more than a couple of days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again for the helpful replies.

I received the Transcend machine 2 days ago, bulkier than expected (in my opinion side by side to my PRS1 disconnected from the humidifier no benefit).

Then compared the Transcend coupled with its humidifier to the full PRS1 - I don't get it if this is a travel machine why is the humidifier so overbuilt? An 8 hr reservoir at most would have done. Unfortunately this is a beast, and all in for those of us that want a humidifier there is just not enough difference to warrant a travel compromise (unless your needs include a battery then that would be different).

So taking advantage of their 10-day return it is going back.

I will skip the Z1 even though they have a 30 day return policy at this time.

Narrowed then to an Airsense 10 or Dreamstation as a backup, and I'll just have to figure out the carry-on part.

Airsense seems a tad friendlier packing / weight wise.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2016, 11:41 PM)DanPrado Wrote: Thanks again for the helpful replies.

I received the Transcend machine 2 days ago, bulkier than expected (in my opinion side by side to my PRS1 disconnected from the humidifier no benefit).

Then compared the Transcend coupled with its humidifier to the full PRS1 - I don't get it if this is a travel machine why is the humidifier so overbuilt? An 8 hr reservoir at most would have done. Unfortunately this is a beast, and all in for those of us that want a humidifier there is just not enough difference to warrant a travel compromise (unless your needs include a battery then that would be different).

So taking advantage of their 10-day return it is going back.

I will skip the Z1 even though they have a 30 day return policy at this time.

Narrowed then to an Airsense 10 or Dreamstation as a backup, and I'll just have to figure out the carry-on part.

Airsense seems a tad friendlier packing / weight wise.

I never saw much advantage to the Z1 package, and as I tried to say in my previous post, you already have the best travel CPAP with your PRS1. It's durable, works on 12-volt battery power without an adapter, and is relatively small. I use it on motorcycle trips. The Dreamstation should be similarly powered, and may be a bit more compact. The Resmed Airsense 10 is a 24 volt, larger device that does not separate from the humidifier, and I won't go there.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,678 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 674 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,733 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 474 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 917 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,286 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.