Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travel tip for ResMed AirSense 10
Travel tip for ResMed AirSense 10
I took my CPAP on a multi-country tour of Europe last month. After a few days I realized that the strap across the back of the case is apparently designed to slip over the extending handle on a spinner or rollaboard type suitcases and carry-ons. There's even a velcro patch that attaches through the hole in the handle to hold it in place. Some of you smarter folks probably already knew this but I guess I'm slow on the uptake. I think it would probably work extra well on a rollaboard which is leaned rather than vertical when you walk with it, so there's less chance of the stack getting top heavy and tipping. I ordered a couple of spinner bags when I got home. Got a good deal on "used-like new" i.e. customer returned Travelpro bags at Amazon Warehouse. 

As far as power adapters, I got the ones for the UK and Continental Europe from Rick Steves' website; dirt cheap and worked great but you'll probably want to order several to justify the shipping cost. The reviews of the more expensive "every country in the world" type make me think they're problematic with loose fits and extending and folding parts. Definitely take an extension cord. 

Getting through security was a mixed bag. In the US they just laid the CPAP in the case on the xray belt and that was it. Overseas, they usually used some type of wipe for detecting explosives and wiped around the inside of the bag in addition to xraying it. In all five countries, i was never asked for the letter of medical necessity I'd gotten from my doc and never challenged about it being a free carry-on.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Travel tip for ResMed AirSense 10
Yes, you are right. My wife has used an S9 for three years now and I just got an A10, and immediately recognized that the A10 travel bag is far superior to the S9 bag for the reasons you mention. It is also smaller than the S9 bag. My wife now has plans to modify an A10 bag to use with her S9 machine. But there is a second part to the bag solution. To get the best use out of the strap and Velco, you need to make sure your carry on bag has an extendable handle that has two bars, not just one bar. That way the Velcro attaches between the two bars and stays secure. My wife has one carry on that has a single bar and it is kind of useless as the bag just spins around on the single bar. 

What I have found strange about airport security is that they pay a lot of attention to the CPAP machine, but ignore the water tank. Makes no sense. They ban all liquids except the small 100 ml max cosmetics, but they ignore a tank that could hold a lot of liquid. Strange...
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been to Europe and apart from the UK the round plugs in Europe and anything but a tight fit.
It is best to get a good extension cable and plug your cpap and phone charger into that and use the adaptor to plug onto the wall socket.
On ships it tends to be the European sockets they use as well.
So best to have an adaptor pack and an extension cable with the connections for your country on it, it is also best if it is a double connection at the cpap end as you will need it for your phone/iPad and anything else that you need to charge.
Also carry the extension cable and travel adaptors with your cpap.  There is no point in arriving in Europe with your cpap and finding that your adaptor and cable is in another country.

Yes, it still happens a lot!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2018, 09:59 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: I have been to Europe and apart from the UK the round plugs in Europe and anything but a tight fit.
It is best to get a good extension cable and plug your cpap and phone charger into that and use the adaptor to plug onto the wall socket.
So best to have an adaptor pack and an extension cable with the connections for your country on it, it is also best if it is a double connection at the cpap end as you will need it for your phone/iPad and anything else that you need to charge.
Also carry the extension cable and travel adaptors with your cpap.  There is no point in arriving in Europe with your cpap and finding that your adaptor and cable is in another country.

Is "extension cable" a surge protector or just an extension cord with double outlets?  

btw, if you're in Edinburgh, go by the  Brewdog and drink a pint for me. In Glasgow, make it a Scotch of your liking at Pot Still..  
Licklips
Post Reply Post Reply
He means an extension cord, and I don't know how N. American surge protectors work on high voltage.  I think you'd want one designed for 220-240 volts.

If wall sockets (that have current to them and actually provide power) are few, then an extension cord plugged directly into that socket will afford its owner multiple already-mated pronged outlets for the dual volt capable devices.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2018, 12:35 PM)mesenteria Wrote: He means an extension cord, and I don't know how N. American surge protectors work on high voltage.  I think you'd want one designed for 220-240 volts.

I believe you are correct. A standard surge protector in North America is going to trigger at about 135 volts or so. If you plug it into a 220-230 volt system you would let the smoke out... Simple adapters just get the right pin configuration. They don't reduce the voltage. So you have to be really careful what you plug into them, or again, you will let the smoke out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2018, 10:32 AM)Bubba in NC Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 09:59 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: I have been to Europe and apart from the UK the round plugs in Europe and anything but a tight fit.

Is "extension cable" a surge protector or just an extension cord with double outlets?  

btw, if you're in Edinburgh, go by the  Brewdog and drink a pint for me. In Glasgow, make it a Scotch of your liking at Pot Still..  
Licklips

I have never used a surge protector in all the years I have used CPAP, just a cable with double outlets on it.  I have never had a problem, but I do wonder when I wake up and there is lightning.  But if lightning hit the power cables I wouldn't be here to tell the tale, surge protector or not.

I am further north than Edinburgh or Glasgow, though I am sometimes down there.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 6 467 2 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 24,917 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 614 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,443 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 67 25,319 03-10-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: mikekowalski
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 180 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,010 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.