Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Traveling/Flying with CPAP Machine
RE: Traveling/Flying with CPAP Machine
I have been wondering a bit about whether to put it in the overhead too. I like to keep my duffle bag down where I can get things as I need them and when nearing our destination, getting everything nicely packed away. Wish I wasn't so particular about things sometimes. I can't bring myself to just quicky jam things in at the end of the flight. I keep my iPad and accessories, book, blanket in my duffle that I use. My husband usually prefers the aisle seat so he doesn't feel as cramped. I don't want to bother him to get things down for me from overhead. I asked him about my CPAP and he said we will keep the CPAP down until most those using our overhead have occupied it and then he will put it in last thing. It is small enough it might fit on top of bags ... hopefully! I guess we will find out.

It is also nice to know from RockABye's post that only the CPAP has to be removed from the bag and not the humidifier through security. I assumed both pieces would need to be examined. I have already put my sleep study and letter from DME thanking me for choosing them with their phone number. I also plan to take the small manual with it in case I need to refer to anything. I don't have a copy of my prescription. It will still have the wireless transmitter on it for the DME to track my usage. I was told they can change settings on my machine remotely so I am assuming they can tweak anything if needed. If not I will call them and have them walk me through changes. I am set on 10cm CPAP instead of on auto with a range of pressures at this time so it doesn't seem there is much to my prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I put my bag in the overhead bin, I put it so the tag shows. I also tell the flight attendant that it is a medical device and they do (at least on SW) watch what they cram in the bin. We usually get preboarded due to my wife's mobility issues so we don't have any problems getting overhead space.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know psimpson130. Thanks for your feedback. We are flying with SW and are frequent flyers with them. I received my medical equipment tag this week. The tag is nice and stands out with it's red lettering.
Post Reply Post Reply
I flew to various points of the US for over 15 years, toting a CPAP machine - never had a problem with the airlines and only once had a problem with airport security. The AEIOMed machine is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand but has a battery pack that shows up as a solid black square on the X-ray machines!

The first time I flew out of Indy with it, it caused some consternation among the TSA agents. They'd never seen such a small CPAP machine and had me break it down into it's three components. I suspect that they wanted to check out the battery component without all the electronics that sat on top of it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have ordered a skin of pretty pink orchids to decorate my CPAP. I have wondered if it would throw security in not recognizing it as a CPAP. I know with the skins you can still see ResMed logo and knobs on the machine. We shall see how they react LoL. I am moreso worried about the new TSA officer that is inexperienced. It would be my luck to get one first day on the job!

I heard recently on a news report that some airline pilots may be required to take sleep studies to rule out any problems with sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
But that TSA agent will be surrounded by a crapload of other TSA agents. Don't worry about it.

I don't advise waiting until the end to put your CPAP bag up there. There may not be room by then. Put it in first, stand it up so it is right against the end piece. Make the shoulder strap as short as possible so it won't get tangled. He can then visually check it before they shut the lid. And yes, putting the tag out so it shows is a good thing! And a great idea!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good ideas PaulaO2. And with all this hashing things out, I will discover I can fit under the seat alongside my other bag lol. I really appreciate all this good and thoughtful feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have access to a laminator, it is also possible to make your own version of the tag....I happen to be from the Great White North, so I needed one that was CATSA (instead of TSA) oriented.

My next flight I'll even be trying out some bottles (pharmacy bottles with similar labels) to see how CATSA does with distilled water for CPAP use. I'll keep you posted.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks PsychoMike ... will be looking forward to hearing of your experience with the bottles of distilled water.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been reading this thread with interest. I am flying out early tomorrow morning to California. I have never had problems flying in Canada with my CPAP, but I did have problems when leaving Orlando to come back to Canada several years ago. The TSA agent pulled the machine apart, poked holes in the hose, I must look like a terrorist as I was flying with a dance troupe as a parent. I did tell her it was a CPAP and she snarled at me that she knew what it was. I am hoping she was having a bad day. Replacing my hose cost $50
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 309 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 629 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,742 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 368 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,293 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.