Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Traveling. Get off CPAP?
Question 
Traveling. Get off CPAP?
Hi I am going to be traveling for a prolonged period of time and I really want to do away with CPAP. 
For one, it is heavy and it is going to add quite a bit of weight. Second, I can never get used to the strap's tightness and I occasionally wake up with headaches.
I'm wondering if there's a less clunky solution. I've been looking at the mouth pieces and I'm reading mixed results with this but I'm open to giving it a try. 
Can anyone give me some mouth piece recommendation?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Traveling. Get off CPAP?
Quote:I occasionally wake up with headaches.

You pressure is showing as 5 on your profile. Very few adults are comfortable at less than 6. Straps should be snug..not tight.
Post Reply Post Reply
We travel quite a bit as well, 2 to 4 international trips per year as well other domestic trips. We are both on CPAP. I bought an AirMini and pack it, along with all accouterments (hose, Bleep DreamPorts, travel adaptor, silicon eye mask for dry eye), in a small soft-sided lunch box. I modified the hose to be able to use my preferred mask, the Bleep, which incidentally and very fortunately, significantly reduced the noise! I can now easily pack it either in my carryon suitcase (if I have no personal item) or in my tote or backpack (if I have a carryon AND personal item or no carryon).

Depending on the length of the trip, I may have to pack some extra Dreamports in my carryon. A month's supply won't fit in the lunchbox!  Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed mini is a good idea but I'm wondering if there's any alternatives? Anybody had experiece with mouth pieces? It seems a much easier alternative.
Post Reply Post Reply
What about traveling would render your need for CPAP when NOT traveling redundant or ill-advised?

No, really.

I can't think of anything either.  

If you need PAP therapy of a kind when you are in familiar surroundings and under no particular stress or want, will that get better when you're living out of a suitcase or in an apartment away from what you call home?

My point is that, if you are deemed to need intervention for a sleep disorder, that won't change in Topeka, Callao, Alexandria, or Montreal.

You'll have to make do with whatcha bring, or with a new device designed to minimize the inconveniences you fear.  My guess is that, in the long run, you'll be much happier having decided to continue your therapy, even if it means a cash outlay for a travel CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2020, 11:13 AM)intershift Wrote: Resmed mini is a good idea but I'm wondering if there's any alternatives? Anybody had experiece with mouth pieces? It seems a much easier alternative.

If you're interested in more info about mouth appliances, you'd have more success starting a new thread with that as the title.

As far as travel, I wouldn't give up my CPAP.

If straps are your problem - as they are mine - experiment with masks that have different strap set-ups.  Look at the suppliers' pages, and look at the mask pictures from the back side (back of the head).  I experience headaches with the straps that hit the lower head/neck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Generically speaking, those that have tried other methods to address apnea have found it may help some but they still need CPAP. It also depends on if you're dealing with obstructive or central apnea and your AHI. If you're dealing with a low AHI and it's only obstructive, other devices and surgeries may help a little or a lot.

CPAP devices, if issued the right machine for your apnea needs and having optimal settings, will almost always work. However, if you're not willing to use one because of inconvenience, it'll one day probably be inconvenient for 6 to carry your coffin.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok Hi Intershift, CPAP does add another complication to today’s travel however I agree with Hydrangea, I wouldn’t travel without my CPAP. I think, with documentation you can “carry on” medical equipment at no additional cost. My oxygen concentrator adds yet another layer of challenge. Wishing you much success in working it all out. Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
The best mouth pieces typically only reduce AHI by half this is not normally sufficient to get AHI less than 5 and be considered treated. Take your CPAP machine with you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  traveling from sea level to SLC eok361 2 86 04-16-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 590 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,679 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Traveling - use AIRSENSE with RESMED N30 nasal mask - forgot vented elbow!! new2paphopeful 0 660 06-25-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: new2paphopeful
  [Equipment] Traveling to low or high altitudes? Laura1520 5 693 08-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  traveling, don't want to use humidifier Palmtrees 8 1,340 02-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: booksfan
  help selecting a traveling APAP machine harmonicamoon 5 1,360 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Last Post: harmonicamoon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.