Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Traveling with CPAP
Traveling with CPAP
Hey everyone!

I'm new here, so I hope the questions I post are alright. I am going on my first business trip with a cpap machine in a couple of weeks. I'm so nervous for many reasons! I'm traveling with someone I only recently met, so I don't know her very well. I'd like to get your thoughts on a few things:

1. How do I tell my co-worker I'll be rooming with that I have a cpap machine? 

2. Should I provide her with ear plugs?

3. How well does a cpap machine travel? Should I check in my suitcase, or would it be ok in a carry on bag?

4. Should I try to find somewhere to buy distilled water for the humidifier, or would it be ok to use bottled water for two nights?

5. Is there anything I can do to make inhaling quieter? The machine is unbelievably quiet, but it's a bit noisy through the mask when I inhale.

These questions may seem really silly, but I've only been using a cpap for a couple of weeks, and I'm pretty embarrassed by it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

~ Julie ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Traveling with CPAP
(02-11-2017, 02:06 AM)Cooljulutah Wrote: Hey everyone!

I'm new here, so I hope the questions I post are alright. I am going on my first business trip with a cpap machine in a couple of weeks. I'm so nervous for many reasons! I'm traveling with someone I only recently met, so I don't know her very well. I'd like to get your thoughts on a few things:

3. How well does a cpap machine travel? Should I check in my suitcase, or would it be ok in a carry on bag?

4. Should I try to find somewhere to buy distilled water for the humidifier, or would it be ok to use bottled water for two nights?

5. Is there anything I can do to make inhaling quieter? The machine is unbelievably quiet, but it's a bit noisy through the mask when I inhale.

These questions may seem really silly, but I've only been using a cpap for a couple of weeks, and I'm pretty embarrassed by it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

~ Julie ~

Welcome to Apnea Board Julie... 

1. Just start a casual conversation about the trip, and mention that you have to travel with a medical device.. then give her a brief explanation of what it is and how you will be using it. 
Many people are actually aware of what sleep apnoea is and that CPAP machines are used to help manage it. 

2. You can offer to supply or pay them if she thinks she might want to use them. 

3. Definitely take it as a carry on, I wouldn't trust it in cargo as it may accidentally end up at a different city to where you do. (and there is the risk of damage as well)

4. Depending on country/city you will be in, bottled water, and in some cases tap water (which is all I use in mine here in Australia) is ok for use in the humidifier. 

5. Don't breathe in perhaps?  Laugh-a-lot (the mask experts will be able to better advise you, my F&P Eson nose mask coupled to my Philips Dreamstation doesn't keep my wife awake)

The only silly question when it comes to your health, is the one you don't ask. 

There is no need to be embarrassed about using a CPAP, it is no different to medications or other treatments we use for ailments through our lives. 

It will take you time to become accustomed to using it each night, and to get the right mask/adjustment/machine settings sorted most likely as well. 

Cheers, Ock. (aka Stephen, or Steve  Grin )

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks!

~ Julie ~

Welcome!

To answer your questions:

1. Gently Smile . Maybe ask her if she's ever heard of sleep apnea and then move on from there. Presumably the company isn't going to pay for separate rooms.

2. Bring along as a last resort, just in case. Of course if someone shouts Fire in the middle of the night she won't hear it. 

3. Best bring it as a carry on - majority of the folks here recommend it. Ziplock the machine, hoses, masks/head gear in separate plastic bags in case airport staff gets curious and take everything out for a visual inspection. Don't want their hands touching it or getting it contaminated. You won't have time to wash & air dry your equipment on the trip - any free time is precious. You can try and get from your DME, buy or simply make (google and print in color) a Medical Device tag to attach to Cpap carry on bag. 

Sample : http://imgur.com/Fu0VKlF

4. No need. Bottled water for 2 days is jolly good enough - unless it's Evian mineral or Perrier. Then I'll drink it instead and just use tap water in its place.

5. If it's 2 separate beds, all the better. I find a pillow between you and the next person helps cut down on mask noise. If that fails, item 2 above might help. 

Wishing you an enjoyable and fruitful trip!
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2017, 02:51 AM)Ockrocket Wrote:

Thanks!

~ Julie ~

Welcome to Apnea Board Julie... 

1. Just start a casual conversation about the trip, and mention that you have to travel with a medical device.. then give her a brief explanation of what it is and how you will be using it. 
Many people are actually aware of what sleep apnoea is and that CPAP machines are used to help manage it. 

2. You can offer to supply or pay them if she thinks she might want to use them. 

3. Definitely take it as a carry on, I wouldn't trust it in cargo as it may accidentally end up at a different city to where you do. (and there is the risk of damage as well)

4. Depending on country/city you will be in, bottled water, and in some cases tap water (which is all I use in mine here in Australia) is ok for use in the humidifier. 

5. Don't breathe in perhaps?  Laugh-a-lot (the mask experts will be able to better advise you, my F&P Eson nose mask coupled to my Philips Dreamstation doesn't keep my wife awake)

The only silly question when it comes to your health, is the one you don't ask. 

There is no need to be embarrassed about using a CPAP, it is no different to medications or other treatments we use for ailments through our lives. 

It will take you time to become accustomed to using it each night, and to get the right mask/adjustment/machine settings sorted most likely as well. 

Cheers, Ock. (aka Stephen, or Steve  Grin )

Welcome

Darn, you beat me to it... Too-funny
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The CPAP and mask are more quiet than you think. Turn on the A/C fan for white noise to cover it if you have to. Just say, "Hey, I have a CPAP." The tougher part of traveling is finding a spare electrical outlet that's nearby.

Carry-on: It won't count against your 1 carry-on bag limit, either.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cooljulutah,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Get in conversation about sleep apnea and let her know that you have a CPAP to treat it. I don't know that you will need earplugs, I don't think the machines are that noisy. Carry it on with you as the machine can get damaged if you have it checked.

Good luck with your CPAP therapy and I hope your trip goes well for you both.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I always carry a ten foot extension cord and an extra cushion for my mask. I was glad to have both at one time. The extension cord doesn't have to be heavy duty.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some links for you:

from wiki: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP

and from me a few years ago: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...for-travel
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Steve! I appreciate your comments (especially #5)! I know I shouldn't be embarrassed, but I think most people feel that sleep apnea is a snoring disease - I know I did. I guess I'll just help educate her if she doesn't understand!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for taking the time to comment, Newbee 2016! We will be sleeping in two separate beds - I'll build a wall with the pillows to hopefully absorb any noise!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  traveling from sea level to SLC eok361 2 72 04-16-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 590 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,664 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Traveling - use AIRSENSE with RESMED N30 nasal mask - forgot vented elbow!! new2paphopeful 0 655 06-25-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: new2paphopeful
  [Equipment] Traveling to low or high altitudes? Laura1520 5 688 08-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  traveling, don't want to use humidifier Palmtrees 8 1,324 02-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: booksfan
Question Traveling. Get off CPAP? intershift 8 1,431 02-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.