Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Traveling with CPAP
RE: Traveling with CPAP
I took my CPAP in its bag as a carry on twice last month. Went straight through the scanner with no raised questions. I've heard the stewardesses will sometimes give you some crud about having two carry on bags but I was never even questioned on it. Regardless they have to allow you as it's a medical device.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just carry mine on. The bag is about the size of a laptop carryon and has wheels. I also have a med device tag on it that I make sure is facing out when I put it in the overhead bin. Seeing as my wife has mobility issues, we usually board early and I can put the bag right over my seat. In the three years I have travelled with it, I have never had TSA even open the bag to look inside. My bag is large enough to carry the charger for my wife's spinal cord stimulator as well as her critical meds.

BTW, I got the bag at our local AAA office as a gift when we did our Disney trip several years ago.

Homer

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, medical equipment does not count toward your quota. Even if they are saying it is a tight flight and folks must leave stuff at door, that medical bag does not count. Someone else's bag has to be removed to make room for yours. The only person's bag who does not have to be removed (besides the crew) are folks who were already on board if it is a thru-flight. Like if the plane flew from Charlotte to Phoenix to San Diego and you got on in Phoenix, if anyone was still on board from Charlotte, their bags are not removed to make room for your medical bag.

We sleep with these things every night and we often forget they are medical devices. But that's what they are. We need them just as much as any other medical device. Sure, we can sleep without it, but we aren't going to be worth anything the next day. For me, my blood pressure will markedly rise. I will get a headache. My pulse rate increases. Second night without it, my blood pressure rises even more and I am almost hyperactive. And grouchy as heck. I increase my medications to counter these things but without that CPAP, it's just emptying water out of with a spoon. So, yeah, that thing is going on board with me.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2014, 07:17 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 05:19 AM)cant_sleep_in_nj Wrote: i fly weekly for biz and always pack my cpap in my checked bag. For me its just easier. I do see some people that store it in the carry on. it goes thru the xray and then gets checked by TSA after it goes thru. It never seems to be an issue for them.

The problem with that is lost luggage. If that checked bag is lost, you are SOL for the night. Out of town and now having to sleep in a hotel without your CPAP the night before a big meeting? Not a good thing.

Take it onboard with you.

in the last 8 years ive been on 500-550 flights and only ONE misplaced luggage (got 4 hours later), ill take those odds over carrying on everyday. im just too lazy.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 556 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,628 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Traveling - use AIRSENSE with RESMED N30 nasal mask - forgot vented elbow!! new2paphopeful 0 640 06-25-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: new2paphopeful
  [Equipment] Traveling to low or high altitudes? Laura1520 5 680 08-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  traveling, don't want to use humidifier Palmtrees 8 1,298 02-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: booksfan
Question Traveling. Get off CPAP? intershift 8 1,391 02-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  help selecting a traveling APAP machine harmonicamoon 5 1,325 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Last Post: harmonicamoon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.