Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

INFURIATED
RE: INFURIATED
(09-28-2014, 03:09 PM)Paralel Wrote: Most EHRs are just horrid. I'm amazed more doesn't get missed as a result. And this isn't coming from some luddite, I have spent more than a decade in the IT field.

Most EMR software is horrible because the best software doesn't win, the best marketing department does.

This means that really great software will never see the light of day, while a rehash of some old piece of crap that didn't work well when it was new 20 years ago will be the winner.
Post Reply Post Reply
back several years ago, before there were electronic charts, we were in the ER for a dog bite and the patient next to us was having heart issues. when we got a hospital statement, it had a medication on it for heart issues. I questioned the hospital billing department because nobody wants a false pre-existing condition. they refused to remove it from the bill and bill the correct patient because it was only one pill and not that expensive but what it would cost to remove it from our bill and notify our insurance company and then rebill the proper person, would cost to much money.

as I said, our child is deceased because of ignoring doctor's orders and those orders were standard orders that should not have been ignored.

If the hospitals want to use electronic record keeping, then they need to put those hospital bracelets on patients with instructions so critical mistakes are not made. but that will probably never happen because it is too time consuming and expensive. they also need to go back to 5 day work weeks for medical staff so they can be more alert to take care of patients. it doesn't save money to have 4 10 or 12 hour days because the hospital is always open.

I can see doing it for a utility company where being closed on Friday would save some money but I really don't see how 4 days per month would be a huge increase in expenses.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2014, 04:45 PM)Terry Wrote:
(09-28-2014, 03:09 PM)Paralel Wrote: Most EHRs are just horrid. I'm amazed more doesn't get missed as a result. And this isn't coming from some luddite, I have spent more than a decade in the IT field.

Most EMR software is horrible because the best software doesn't win, the best marketing department does.

Honestly, I think it's because the programs are written by programmers and IT people to standards created by bureaucrats who have no idea what the workflow is like for an actual clinician. None of these companies appear to field test their products with actual clinicians either since there is no way they'd get even one positive review.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear about this incident. At least all is well now. Did they check him out after they tied him down? If he was flailing than it might be possible that the surgery was affected.
Post Reply Post Reply
With paramedics in our circle I can assure you of one thing and that is that SpO2 under 89% is respiratory distress. At 77% it is SEVERE respiratory distress and no wonder your son was waving his arms around trying to get attention. He was suffocating. Don't know if that would be cause for a code blue but IMHO it would be cause for some hollering for help.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.