Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Traveling with CPAP
Traveling with CPAP
Took my first trip with my CPAP equipment. It was surprisingly easy to travel with the machine and supplies. This was a car trip. Later this month I will be taking a trip by air. What should I expect while going through airport security? Do I have to remove everything from the case, like for a laptop computer?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Traveling with CPAP
I took mine on a recent (three weeks ago) flight from Atlanta to Detroit as a carry-on in it's zipper case. I just put it through the machine as is. No questions, not even a raised eyebrow. I did make sure to have the user manual in the bag to help identify it if there was a question. Since I travel with hard shell suitcase, I re-arranged things and had it inside the checked bag on return. No problems that way either.

Safe travels,
Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2014, 08:00 PM)DeannaM Wrote: Took my first trip with my CPAP equipment. It was surprisingly easy to travel with the machine and supplies. This was a car trip. Later this month I will be taking a trip by air. What should I expect while going through airport security? Do I have to remove everything from the case, like for a laptop computer?

I do a lot of business travel by air, and offer the following.

It depends on the whims of the TSA. According to a supervisor I chatted with recently, machines are supposed to come out of their carry bags and placed in a bin for x-ray, unless you are a TSA Precheck traveler. Many TSA officers will wave you through, as they've seen the machines before. However, don't count on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Avoid x-ray if possible. x-ray is deleterious to solid state electronics.
I worked in Space radiation environments for 35 years; and part of that was qualifying parts for an ionizing radiation environment.

You have to weight that risk against it being lost in checked baggage.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If that is the case, wouldn't all the business travelers having their Laptops x-rayed regularly be destroying them over time?
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2014, 09:12 AM)herbm Wrote: If that is the case, wouldn't all the business travelers having their Laptops x-rayed regularly be destroying them over time?

Yes... It is a low dose. But the energy spectrum has to be fairly high to penetrate to see the internals. X-ray produces electron-hole pairs that are trapped in the gate oxide of MOSFET transistors -- changing the threshold. Eventually they do not act like switches. N-channels stay on; and P-channels cannot be turned on.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2014, 08:00 PM)DeannaM Wrote: Took my first trip with my CPAP equipment. It was surprisingly easy to travel with the machine and supplies. This was a car trip. Later this month I will be taking a trip by air. What should I expect while going through airport security? Do I have to remove everything from the case, like for a laptop computer?

I don't get the same with TSA....I'm in Canada, so I deal with CATSA. According to both guidelines, you can bring your CPAP with you and it doesn't count toward your carry on (yay). I usually throw a tag on it identifying it (many examples on line....I just made my own, laminated it and attached it to my CPAP bag with a non-permanent zip tie)

Myself, I take distilled water with me, so I have pharmacy bottles (the type kid's medicines come in) labelled up (very simple declaration of contents, note of exemption to the liquids restrictions...there are lots of good examples to look at on line).

For how often I air travel (probably not going to cause issues over the 5-year "life" of a CPAP machine), I let mine go through the scanner and they usually swab my bottles of water for the sniffer to make sure I'm not hauling anything "bad" in them.

Generally, a pretty painless exercise. I usually let the airline know (out of courtesy) that I'm bringing it, even if I am not using it on the flight. Of course, as others have mentioned, how smooth things go through security depends on the CATSA (or TSA) agent you get screening you...but generally, most have seen a CPAP in their time and don't hassle you at all.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I fly about once a month with my cpap machine. Prior to my getting pre approval with TSA I use to take out my cpap machine.
A few hints about that.
1. You only have to take out the motor part of the cpap machine.
2. Before leaving home place the motor part of the machine in a gallon size zip lock bag. That way when you place it in a "germy" gray bin it is protected.
3. If for some reason a TSA agent needs to give a closer look at your machine politely ask them to put on a new pair of gloves. They will gladly do that.

I just thank goodness I get TSA pre approval now, much easier and faster.
Post Reply Post Reply
Traveled with my old Resmed S7 about 2 months ago and tried to send it thru the TSA scanner in it's cary bag, and it had to get double checked. after rescan and search TSA told me next time take it out the bag for scanning.

May still depend on Airport...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2014, 04:04 PM)aspruil Wrote: Traveled with my old Resmed S7 about 2 months ago and tried to send it thru the TSA scanner in it's cary bag, and it had to get double checked. after rescan and search TSA told me next time take it out the bag for scanning.

May still depend on Airport...

It has to do with Pre TSA approval..the stream lined line. No shoes off, laptops stay in luggage as well as cpap. I have not been in the other line for a while so I don't know if you still have to remove the cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 557 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,630 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Traveling - use AIRSENSE with RESMED N30 nasal mask - forgot vented elbow!! new2paphopeful 0 640 06-25-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: new2paphopeful
  [Equipment] Traveling to low or high altitudes? Laura1520 5 680 08-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  traveling, don't want to use humidifier Palmtrees 8 1,301 02-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: booksfan
Question Traveling. Get off CPAP? intershift 8 1,391 02-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  help selecting a traveling APAP machine harmonicamoon 5 1,326 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Last Post: harmonicamoon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.