Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Traveling with CPAP
RE: Traveling with CPAP
If your CPAP bag zips all the way open and the machine can be seen and xrayed, just like the "TSA compliant" computer bags now, then you probably do not need to take it out.

Really, it's not a big deal. Take your time. Take it out, put it in a bin. Put the bag on the belt, send 'em through. Pick it up on the other side. Much better than it used to be. Used to, they had to swipe them! Gah, what a PITA.

It also depends on the airport. Some airports are better at visual inspections and aren't looking for Easter Eggs. Others are out to find every egg they can. Charlotte airport uses a mirror under my chair. Portland airport agents came to a stand still when I mentioned it, then broke out laughing. "Honey, you meet no profile whatsoever. Why would I waste my time and yours looking under your chair?" She did get down and look under it then laughed again. "What do they think you hiding under there? Anything you put under there would drag!" Later I saw signs that said Portland was continually voted one of the best airports in the US. I could believe it!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
We just came back from our trip back east and a cruise and had no problems (other than the fact I found I need to pack a longer extension cord).

I just put my bag on the belt without opening it and let them handle it like a regular carry on bag. Now, I also have my wife's battery pack and charger for her spinal cord stimulator in it as well as the bags containing our meds. I have my unit wrapped in a towel for some additional additional padding and use the mask bag to protect the stub for the humidifier. I also have a CPAP tag on it that I got from one of the suppliers on the list. I went through the TSA check points in Phoenix and Boston as well as the one getting on the cruise line in Montreal.

Part of the flight was on a regional jet and I asked the gate folks about it and was told that it was no problem. If needed they would find a place to put it and it would not be gate checked. I always put it in the overhead bin over my seat and place it so the tag is visible.

Homer

Post Reply Post Reply
DME gave me and my son personalized tags to attach to our machine cases that have medical crosses on them and state that they are medical deivces. He and i have flown four times this year and had no problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the US, CPAP counts as medical device and MUST be taken aboard even if someone else's luggage has to be taken off to make it fit. It does not count toward your bag limit as long as medical equipment is the only thing in the bag. I would never ever gate check my CPAP. Sure, it is a sturdy thing but it is also an expensive thing that is hard to replace quickly.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I have not had much trouble with CPAP and airlines. I would take a pack of disinfectant odourless wipes with me. I leave my humidifier at home and I seal my mask(s) in ziplock bags (which I then wipe down if they've been touched). I have a medic-alert tag on the carry bag and on the equipment and a laminated copy of my prescription(s) for EVERYTHING medical I am transporting, including the APAP and any Rx drugs. REMEMBER that there are drugs in the USA that are considered controlled substances in Canada and you WILL likely get nabbed at the border for such things. And incredibly, something like Tylenol 1 in Canada, available over the counter, is a controlled substance stateside. So be aware. I have yet to have anything inspected or put through x-ray. If you are taking any liquids onboard make sure they are within the size limits and in clear plastic containers that can be opened for inspection - and if being inspected you are within your full rights to ask the agent to put on gloves that are sterile, politely, explaining that your lungs are compromised.
Make sure that all of your papers are in order and that they are ready for inspection as well. Dual citizens, know that it is against the law to carry TWO passports on your person (at least it was). And know that if you are entering Canada you must use your Canadian Passport, if entering the USA you are obliged to use your USA Passport. And for heaven's sake, make sure that you declare EVERYTHING and avoid transporting liquor, tobacco and food products totally. The few bucks that you MIGHT save just are not worth the scrutiny. I can tell you that this is my policy and that when driving I very often carry handguns across the border.... I present my paperwork before being asked for it. I transport them in a legal manner (know the rules!). I have yet to be inspected for that as well, as incredible as it sounds. Reduce the reasons for close inspection or secondary inspection and your day will run much smoother. Safe travels.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
i fly weekly for biz and always pack my cpap in my checked bag. For me its just easier. I do see some people that store it in the carry on. it goes thru the xray and then gets checked by TSA after it goes thru. It never seems to be an issue for them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've always asked that they hand check the CPAP machine, but it's been a long time since I've had to travel with it by air.
Never a problem, and I always take it on board with the assumption that checked bags may be delayed. It doesn't count towards carry on, and
the newest machines can be used in flight, although I've never done that. Next trip to Oz and I will.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2014, 01:23 PM)TorontoCPAPguy Wrote: ... Dual citizens, know that it is against the law to carry TWO passports on your person (at least it was). And know that if you are entering Canada you must use your Canadian Passport, if entering the USA you are obliged to use your USA Passport ...

Sorry, not a dual citizen and off topic, but I have to ask. How would this work? Having to use the Cdn passport to enter Canada and the US passport to enter the US, but only allowed to carry one?

Seems like a catch 22 scenario.

If you are in Cda and go to the US, you need to take the US passport (and only that one) Now you are in the US with only the US passport. But to enter Cda you need to use the Cdn passport.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2014, 05:19 AM)cant_sleep_in_nj Wrote: i fly weekly for biz and always pack my cpap in my checked bag. For me its just easier. I do see some people that store it in the carry on. it goes thru the xray and then gets checked by TSA after it goes thru. It never seems to be an issue for them.

The problem with that is lost luggage. If that checked bag is lost, you are SOL for the night. Out of town and now having to sleep in a hotel without your CPAP the night before a big meeting? Not a good thing.

Take it onboard with you.

Go to the Commercial forum are and check out that suitcase.

Never mind, I found it.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ade-Easier

Because it has other things in the bag besides the CPAP, it counts toward your carry on limit. I keep meaning to get one and see what it is like, just haven't yet. I don't travel by air that often but it would be good for tossing into the truck, too.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2014, 05:19 AM)cant_sleep_in_nj Wrote: i fly weekly for biz and always pack my cpap in my checked bag. For me its just easier.
I would not trust those heavy handed baggage handlers with my precious cargo

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 554 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,627 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Traveling - use AIRSENSE with RESMED N30 nasal mask - forgot vented elbow!! new2paphopeful 0 640 06-25-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: new2paphopeful
  [Equipment] Traveling to low or high altitudes? Laura1520 5 680 08-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  traveling, don't want to use humidifier Palmtrees 8 1,298 02-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: booksfan
Question Traveling. Get off CPAP? intershift 8 1,389 02-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  help selecting a traveling APAP machine harmonicamoon 5 1,325 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Last Post: harmonicamoon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.