Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Traveling with CPAP
RE: Traveling with CPAP
My friend had the TSA agent refuse to change gloves/swabs when checking his CPAP for explosives. He was NOT happy.

The technical literature says you "can ask", not that they have to agree to change gloves/swabs.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2015, 11:05 AM)lmoretti Wrote: My friend had the TSA agent refuse to change gloves/swabs when checking his CPAP for explosives. He was NOT happy.

The technical literature says you "can ask", not that they have to agree to change gloves/swabs.

We need people to stand up to these TSA Nazis. Too many of them have some sort of twisted "control issue" that makes them "feel important" when inconveniencing passengers - gives them a sick power trip.

Contaminating a passenger's medical device with a gloves and swabs that's been used to touch and swab hundreds of other devices and containers is just plain hazardous to one's health. I would insist that they change gloves and if they don't, demand to see the supervisor, and tell them that if they don't comply, you will be calling the health department to have their operation shut down, or I'd threaten to sue them, or both.

Sorry, just PO'd at TSA agent's nazi-like control-freak behavior these days. I know they're not all like that, but too many are, and no in charge seems to do anything about it. Cool

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just traveled with my machine from Hawaii to Norfolk, VA and back. Leaving Hawaii I was just asked to put the CPAP bag (without removing the machine) into it's own bin. Leaving Hawaii I was asked to remove the machine from the bag and place it in it's own bin. Different airports seem to have different rules, but TSA agents at neither airport actually touched or inspected the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with all of you that posted that the machine should travel onboard. I carry a letter from my Sleep Doc stating I need the machine for medical reasons and that I be allowed safe passage with the unit however I'm traveling.

As for the TSA, they make the daily rules. I'm a "trusted traveler", but have still experienced everything from having to take the unit out of the bag and place it in a bin for x-ray to keep everything packed up and come on through, less your shoes. There is no rhyme nor reason for the daily rule changes. It seems that it's at the discretion of the "officer".

Do we have anyone out there with the TSA or Homeland Security that can dispute this?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 557 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,630 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Traveling - use AIRSENSE with RESMED N30 nasal mask - forgot vented elbow!! new2paphopeful 0 640 06-25-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: new2paphopeful
  [Equipment] Traveling to low or high altitudes? Laura1520 5 680 08-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  traveling, don't want to use humidifier Palmtrees 8 1,310 02-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: booksfan
Question Traveling. Get off CPAP? intershift 8 1,391 02-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  help selecting a traveling APAP machine harmonicamoon 5 1,326 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Last Post: harmonicamoon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.